ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

damaged? passport- peo appointment!

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

roball
Newly Registered

damaged? passport- peo appointment!

Post by roball » Mon May 25, 2009 12:35 pm

I've gotten myself into a bit of a pickle. Due to my own ineptitude.

I just put my passport through the washing machine yesterday. It is still intact, all pages legible including entry stamps and the pictures on all visas issued are not damaged. However, the water damage is terribly obvious.

The problem is actually that I have a PEO appt next tues in sheffield for a tier 2 as I'm switching jobs. Will they refuse to process this based on the damaged passport? I'm drying the pages out and it would still be possibly to place a vingette on the page. (at least i think it would but I'm not the ukba).

Additionally, I only have the last page (front and back) blank. It doesnt say 'visas' like the previous pages do, but I'm assuming they can still use this page? Otherwise I'm in another world of hurt as I don't have time to get blank pages issued.

I unfortunately cant postpone the appt and wait for a new passport and reissuing of my current visa etc. That would take months and I've stupidly already given notice at my current employer so that visa would not be valid to be reissued.

I am married, and have refrained from applying for flr (m) for personal reasons. However, I am considering this option as it would mean getting the ID card instead of needing to place a sticker in my pathetic, floppy and possibly invalid passport.

Any advice or guidance greatly appreciated. I realise I'm my own worst enemy here, i've never felt quite so stupid!

Robin

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Mon May 25, 2009 1:57 pm

There are two separate matters, aren't there? - the grant of your status and the documentary confirmation thereof. Presumably the former is no problem.
At this stage, you've nothing to lose by keeping your appointment and submitting the application. From what you say, the damage doesn't sound totally disastrous and they may be willing to endorse the passport. I bet they don't notice whether or not it's a "visa" page.
If they're not happy about it and tell you to get another passport, stand your ground and say that you've submitted a valid application and the passport is still a valid and clear confirmation of your nationality and identity,(and your previous immigration history), and their refusal to accept it is a matter of opinion rather than fact. In the end you may have to back down, but get them to concede that you've made an in-time application and ask them to keep it open while you obtain another passport.
However, even if you get it past them, a document that's suffered damage always attracts attention at passport controls, and sooner or later you will run into an immigration officer or an airline check-in clerk somewhere who is reluctant to accept it. So, when you get a new passport, send it to UKBA with an application for Transfer of Conditions as soon as possible.