ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

step son of eea national

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

susu87
Newly Registered

step son of eea national

Post by susu87 » Mon May 25, 2009 12:47 am

hello

i wanted to ask what about the step son of an eea national who is above 21 and dependant on the eea national and living in the same household and holding a residence card as the family member of that eea national,his step dad,is he as well allowed to travel to the netherlands as visa free,cos on the website it says family members of eea..thats it not like the french embassy clearly says only spouse are visa free..thnx loads

Rozen
Diamond Member

Re: step son of eea national

Post by Rozen » Mon May 25, 2009 1:42 pm

susu87 wrote:hello

i wanted to ask what about the step son of an eea national who is above 21 and dependant on the eea national and living in the same household and holding a residence card as the family member of that eea national,his step dad,is he as well allowed to travel to the netherlands as visa free,cos on the website it says family members of eea..thats it not like the french embassy clearly says only spouse are visa free..thnx loads
If he has a Residence Card based on his EU step-dad, then he IS a Family Member! And as such he can come to The Netherlands visa free as long as he is travelling with his step-dad. On his own, it's schengen visa I'm afraid.

susu87
Newly Registered

Post by susu87 » Tue May 26, 2009 10:28 am

thnx u rozen

and do u know what documents he should be having with him,marriage certificate of his mum and step-dad,his birth certificate what else...thanks again

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue May 26, 2009 3:45 pm

If he needs a visa, then he would also need to provide his passport, and most likely the passport of the EU citizen.

But you say that he already has a Residence Card, then he can travel without a visa to many EU member states. This usually has to be travel with the EU family member.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Tue May 26, 2009 4:46 pm

susu87 wrote:thnx u rozen

and do u know what documents he should be having with him,marriage certificate of his mum and step-dad,his birth certificate what else...thanks again
If he goes it alone with a schengen visa, then he obviously does not need any such documents, apart from his visa endorsed passport. But if travelling with dad (ie. no schengen visa), he would probably have to prove the link with stepdad, which is birth cert showing you as his mum, and marriage certificate to show that mum is married to step-dad. This shouldn't be the case, but you tend to find some overzealous IOs sometimes.
Having said that, Dutch IOs are quite clued up on the EU Directive these days, and there shouldn't be a problem. Unlike some time back, when they didn't have a clue what we were talking about at the border! Insisting I needed a schengen visa even though I had an RC in my passport, marriage cert, printout from their website that said I didn't need one, and was with my husband! He insisted on speaking to their 'boss', and we were let through within seconds! But that was a long time ago, and it's not so bad anymore. Good Luck! :)