ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Leaving in August, please help ppl.....!!!!!!!

Employers looking for workers, people looking for employers: Get connected here.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

samsung

Leaving in August, please help ppl.....!!!!!!!

Post by samsung » Sat May 23, 2009 1:24 pm

Friends,

I am planning to leave UK in August. Visa valid from 1st August 2009---

There are few queries that i would like to clear, before making my mind

1) I have a good job in India as a IT consultant in a big MNC, and earning around 60,000 a month. Is it right to quit this job and then run to London for better future.

2) I thought of putting my resume on the UK job sites, and wait till i get some interview calls. As i have two months, is it right to think that i might get some calls in this two months. Please refer some UK job sites that would help me.
Will the employer be willing to call me, even when i ll have my India address on my resume.

3) Should i go to London and then start looking for a job.

Pls advice ppl, and feel free to add anything that might help this newbie....

Thanks for your efforts and help..

lynn132

Post by lynn132 » Sat May 23, 2009 7:25 pm

I can only tell you my experience, which was when the economy was still doing well. I am in a shortage occupation field. I found it very difficult to get anyone willing to interview me before I came to the UK. I did have two telephone interviews, one of which was arranged by a recruiting agent, but both essentially said at the end that it was nice talking to me, but call us when you get to the UK. Now, one of these companies did end up hiring me, after I arrived and came in for a direct interview. I would think you will find it very difficult to get an interview in the current job market from India (or any other country).

HSMP2008_JANUARY

Post by HSMP2008_JANUARY » Sat May 23, 2009 10:06 pm

Thats right as he said it will be difficult for you to get an interview if you are not in UK and since the market is not that good it will be still more difficult.

If I was you, having good job and good salary, I would take leave for 3 months unpaid leave and come to UK. then I will search for a job and get to know the market myself. If I get a job, my gamble is paid off else I still have job back home.

supercreature

Post by supercreature » Sat May 23, 2009 10:37 pm

IT Job market as well as overall job market very very slow .... beaware you many need funds to survive till you get any job.

samsung

Post by samsung » Sun May 24, 2009 7:21 am

Well guys thanks for all your inputs.

The other day i was cruising through the job sites in the UK, and the interesting part is that there were job ads on all most all the websites. I could definitely see lots of ads for different kind of roles in the IT industry, right from Oracle DBA to a SQL developer to an ITIL consultant.

What i want to confirm is that are these job ads not true, cos a portal like monster UK wont put fake articles on job. Correct me if am wrong guys.
The point is am confident after seeing these articles on the websites, and am sure am gona grab one with a little hard work, what say friends... :idea:

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sun May 24, 2009 7:30 am

samsung wrote:Well guys thanks for all your inputs.

The other day i was cruising through the job sites in the UK, and the interesting part is that there were job ads on all most all the websites. I could definitely see lots of ads for different kind of roles in the IT industry, right from Oracle DBA to a SQL developer to an ITIL consultant.

What i want to confirm is that are these job ads not true, cos a portal like monster UK wont put fake articles on job. Correct me if am wrong guys.
The point is am confident after seeing these articles on the websites, and am sure am gona grab one with a little hard work, what say friends... :idea:
A number of consultants post job descriptions for non-existent openings in order to maintain a strong and updated database of candidates. It is difficult to assess situation sitting there in your home country. Best thing is to talk to your friends who are working in your area of expertise.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

samsung

Post by samsung » Sun May 24, 2009 9:40 am

Hi Push,

Thanks for your inputs, but i have heard that the market for my technology isn't that bad. I had a chat with one of my friend in the UK, and works on the same technology (Data warehousing) and said that with little hard work the job should come across fine.

Is it okey to take up some low paid job in some BPO's or call center for a while, till i settle down well, and understand the situation up there. And then will try to work on my technology. Is it difficult to find job in a BPO or a call center. You guys can suggest some alternative till i find the job to survive up there....

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Sun May 24, 2009 10:36 am

BPOs are outsourced to India :-) which is causing fury among people.

Not to discourage you but I would suggest to take a month or so leave from your current job, come down to UK and search for job. I am also in the same technology as you are in and don't think market is good.What is also true that you will hardly get job/interview call if you are in India. As said by other member, agencies advertise lot of dummy openings to stay visible in market, maintain database of candidates and if possible get some leads from the candidates how are looking for a change.

Regarding getting some low paying job, if you are here you can do anything to survive, but in the end is that what you wanted when you applied for UK visa? I would suggest to weigh your options and career goals and then take steps. Don't just land in UK because some of your friend think you can get job after bit struggle(no offense to your friend).Situation changes very quickly. You said you are already earning 60K in India which I think is quite good given the current market(even in India).

If I were you, I would do "more" research before leaving an existing good job and entering into new territory. Keep Plan B ready in case of worst scenario. Although you will never know the result unless you enter but there is an old saying "Devil known is better than devil unknown".

2) I thought of putting my resume on the UK job sites, and wait till i get some interview calls. As i have two months, is it right to think that i might get some calls in this two months. Please refer some UK job sites that would help me.
Will the employer be willing to call me, even when i ll have my India address on my resume.
You can start putting your CV on jobwebsite now and give a contact address of your friend. So that atleast agencies look forward to speak to you. People generally do not call out-of-country candidates.
3) Should i go to London and then start looking for a job.
You can come down to london and start looking for job, but you should plan staying in london carefully as it is very expensive. Travell and accomodation drain out money very quickly.But probably best place to start job search compare to any other city in UK.

My above comments are not to discourage you, but to keep you informed of the situation so you can plan accordingly.It is good to know where you are heading than get surprises after you land here. It is not that jobs are not there, People do get job after bit struggle but that depends on their individual skillset and many other factors.

samsung

Post by samsung » Sun May 24, 2009 1:36 pm

Hi chetan,

Thanks for your reply, it was very practical and clear thought. I ll definitely think and plan my travel well, think about the pros and cons before i board for London.

Am planning to take three months off from my work, but what reason i can give in my office to convince them to grant me the leave.
Three months i long period, and most companies would smell a rat.
Can you guys think of any practical excuse...

ashokccs

Post by ashokccs » Tue May 26, 2009 7:48 am

samsung wrote:Hi chetan,

Thanks for your reply, it was very practical and clear thought. I ll definitely think and plan my travel well, think about the pros and cons before i board for London.

Am planning to take three months off from my work, but what reason i can give in my office to convince them to grant me the leave.
Hi Samsung,

Even I am travelling in the same boat as of yours and struggling to find that 1 good reason to convince my boss :)
Kindly do share the reasons if you find one and even I am planning to fly in August ( I am a JAVA Professional )

Wish U the best,
Ash.

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Tue May 26, 2009 9:58 am

Tell them you have got Chicken Pox and doctors asked you to stay indoor for 3-weeks. After 3-weeks, tell them the chicken pox has not recovered fully and their are still some itching through the body. :-)

Nobody dare to ask you to come to office ;-)

samsung wrote:Hi chetan,

dhavaluk
Member of Standing

Post by dhavaluk » Tue May 26, 2009 1:39 pm

samsung wrote:Is it okey to take up some low paid job in some BPO's or call center for a while, till i settle down well, and understand the situation up there. And then will try to work on my technology. Is it difficult to find job in a BPO or a call center. You guys can suggest some alternative till i find the job to survive up there....
I will advise not to do so, don't get any such jobs unless you get into your own field, my personal experience says so. I was in scientific research while in India, came here, had a couple of telephonic interviews before coming and was told they couldn't do until I arrive in UK. As had to survive, took one of such jobs, and then whenever went for interview, was told that because I had left my field, it was difficult (in other words impossible) for them to offer me a job. Could reach to far better job in 2 years, but still not in my own field. So rather wait and go back then getting just 'any job', 60,000 rupees in India is far better my dear.

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Tue May 26, 2009 2:37 pm

Agree with DhavalUK.