ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

UK Spouse Visa: Can I work in other EU countries?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

samclemmens
Newly Registered

UK Spouse Visa: Can I work in other EU countries?

Post by samclemmens » Tue May 26, 2009 2:30 pm

Hi,

I'm an American married to a British woman, and I've been working in the UK for the past year under a UK Spouse Visa. I'm considering doing some contracting work in the Netherlands or Switzerland, and I'd like to know if I can work in other EU countries with my visa. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Sam C.

1963British

Post by 1963British » Wed May 27, 2009 10:08 pm

There are others here that probably know better but I will give a try at answering your question.

You are the spouse of a UK Citizen which also makes you the spouse of a EU Citizen.

Your spouse has the right of free movement in the EU and with that comes the right for her to bring you.

Your spousal visa is limited leave but that visa in order to become indefinite leave requires that the two of you be living together for two years.

Lots of problems with your idea.

If your spouse goes to the Netherlands, you can follow and then work there.

If your spouse stays in the UK, I do not believe you will be permitted to reside and work in the Netherlands.

Regardless, if it was possible to do this, you may very well find yourself causing grave harm to yourself getting ILR.

In light of the new immigration rules, I would be extremely hesitant in doing anything that would throw out your eligibility under the old rules through the discussed transitional rules.

If I was in your position, I would want to be able to apply for ILR exactly 28 days before you have two years here and then apply for citizenship at exactly the three year mark.

Once you are a citizen you can do as you want.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: UK Spouse Visa: Can I work in other EU countries?

Post by Wanderer » Thu May 28, 2009 12:06 am

samclemmens wrote:Hi,

I'm an American married to a British woman, and I've been working in the UK for the past year under a UK Spouse Visa. I'm considering doing some contracting work in the Netherlands or Switzerland, and I'd like to know if I can work in other EU countries with my visa. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Sam C.
No
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Thu May 28, 2009 11:22 am

And that's a No from me too.