ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR, Child Benfit & Child Tax Credit

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Tickle

ILR, Child Benfit & Child Tax Credit

Post by Tickle » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:47 pm

Dear Modrators, Members,

I have got ILR Last week on 4 Year WP.

Now I would like to know whether I can claim Child Benfit and Child Tax credit or not?

Any web links that explains about this?

Thanks

Blessings
Newly Registered

Post by Blessings » Mon Aug 22, 2005 5:24 pm

Yes, you can apply for both. Child benefits is only after ILR. Child tax credit is if you pay tax and qualify and do not need ILR for it.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Mon Aug 22, 2005 8:13 pm

Child tax credit is if you pay tax and qualify and do not need ILR for it. <== are you sure?

Tickle

Post by Tickle » Mon Aug 22, 2005 9:37 pm

I also think that we need ILR for Child Tax Credit. Since it's also comes under Public Funds.

Is there any doucument from HO that says after ILR we can claim all the benefits?

Blessings
Newly Registered

Post by Blessings » Mon Aug 22, 2005 10:05 pm

At least we all agree on the fact that you need ILR for Child benefit. As for 'Child tax credit', it is actually called 'Tax credit'. It is dependent on your household income and the number of underage children you have. You can give the tax office a call and they will be able to explain more.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Aug 23, 2005 12:40 pm

Now that ILR is held it is possible to apply for both Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit. Simply the currently-held ILR visa has no condition barring such claims, and claiming the benefits will have no impact whatsoever upon any subsequent naturalisation application.

You can check it all out, and submit online claims, at www.hmrc.gov.uk .
John

Tickle

Post by Tickle » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:00 pm

Thanks a lot John for the link and the explanation.

try-one
Member of Standing

Post by try-one » Tue Aug 23, 2005 1:13 pm

Hi,
I think the Tax credits should be reviewed with caution; "no recourse to public funds" is a condition of the EC and if you break it you will be exposed.
TAX and IMMIGRATION matters are very different, if you call the Inland Revenue or if you call the Child Credit people, they will say that you are entitled, but it all depends on the conditions on your EC; read the documentation and understand your possition before requesting/accepting the money. I prefer to loose £50 a month and not break my EC than to be exposed to getting a negative response when I request my ILR>
-------------------------
Life is a journey, not a destination (S. Tyler)

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Aug 23, 2005 2:51 pm

I agree try-one ..... but as regards the query here ..... given that the OP has now got ILR .... there are no conditions stated on an ILR visa ... in particular it is lacking any "No recourse to Public Funds" restriction.

Accordingly there is no reason why "Tickle" cannot now proceed to claim Child Benefit and Child Tax Credit.
John

Tickle

Post by Tickle » Tue Aug 23, 2005 4:23 pm

Yes John, You are right. I have got ILR now.

No Restrictions on my Passport like "No Recourse to Public Funds" etc.

Cheers.