ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

School for Children

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Ashwin2005

School for Children

Post by Ashwin2005 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 11:44 am

Does an HSMP holder allowed to send her children to public schools in UK? Will this be considered as using public funds?

OFCHARITY
Member of Standing

Post by OFCHARITY » Sat Aug 20, 2005 6:16 pm

Kids under 18 go to public school free, no it is not considered public funds
'In everything give thanks'

Ashwin2005

Public Funds

Post by Ashwin2005 » Sat Aug 20, 2005 7:20 pm

Thanks very much OFCHARITY for the information

Regards,
Ashwin2005

dhavaluk
Member of Standing

Post by dhavaluk » Sat Aug 20, 2005 9:09 pm

Hi Frineds,

I have read somewhere that in UK schools start at the age of 5, and befor that, child can go to nursery, does anybody have any idea about this nurseries? it was even mentioned that such nurseries are run by COmmunities, sometimes called community schools, i may be wrong in this as i had read it almost a eyar back, so don't remember it exactly. IF anybody could send me a link where i can study the exact strucutre of education in UK right form the begining. My daughter is 3 yrs. now, adn would like her to at elast get aquinted with english before she starts going actual school, as english is not our mother tongue.

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Sat Aug 20, 2005 10:59 pm

i am paying £913 per month for my son's nursery.... :-(

Ashwin2005

Schools

Post by Ashwin2005 » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:06 pm

I have two children (both above 5 years). I can't afford to send both of them to Private schools spending 2000 pounds per month. How are public schools in UK? Is the standard of education good?

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Sun Aug 21, 2005 8:30 pm

well at the end of the day it depends on your children how seriously they take their education

OFCHARITY
Member of Standing

Post by OFCHARITY » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:24 am

Some public primary schools have a nursery section which is generally free. They all seem to have different policies but some take children as young as 3 years old, most only take kids under 5 for half day only. Even if english is not the child's mother tongue it should not be a problem, instead it is often recommended that the child gets into early childhood education where he/she is exposed to english at an early age, kids at that age adapt quickly and can learn english from peers easily while still relating to parents in mother tongue

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:03 pm

Nursery

My daughter came here at the age of 3.5. We have managed to get admission before she arrived. Got the list of nurseries from local council website and applied in 3 nearby nurseries and got in 2 for half time. We decided to sent her in both nurseries [morning session -afternoon session, so she will be engaged in full time]. After 4 months Head teacher wrote to me that they had found out that she was doing shooling in 2 shools and that is not allowed. Also they advised that she will get her full time by age 4 and now she is full time in nursery. Have to pay £1 for lunch, as i'm employed.

Schooling

In right column [primary/secondary] of this link, you can enter your area/postcode to find schools, including the rating of schools compared to national / county averagee

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/education/default.stm

Most of the schools nearby my area are just average but catholic community schools have excellent average. But they need certificate of baptism + priests recommondation to be attached along with application (!!). I've got this just now and hopefully getting admission in this school year.

HTH

dhavaluk wrote:Hi Frineds,

I have read somewhere that in UK schools start at the age of 5, and befor that, child can go to nursery, does anybody have any idea about this nurseries? it was even mentioned that such nurseries are run by COmmunities, sometimes called community schools, i may be wrong in this as i had read it almost a eyar back, so don't remember it exactly. IF anybody could send me a link where i can study the exact strucutre of education in UK right form the begining. My daughter is 3 yrs. now, adn would like her to at elast get aquinted with english before she starts going actual school, as english is not our mother tongue.

dhavaluk
Member of Standing

Post by dhavaluk » Wed Aug 24, 2005 7:26 am

Dear OFCHARITY and TIMEFACTOR

Thank you both for such an excellent information. I am quite relieved after seeign both of yours replies, as i read in the same forum (the first immidaite reply of my posting stating) that Olisum is paying 913 Pounds for nursary, and I am sure that I am not going to get that much extra during my begninng of carreer in UK.

THank you once again.

OFCHARITY
Member of Standing

Post by OFCHARITY » Wed Aug 24, 2005 2:06 pm

Remember though that school generally starts at nine a.m so depending on how early you need to get to work you may need to arrange to have someone drop the child at school, also while some schools provide after school care up till 6 p.m, it's is generally only for full-day children 5 years and older, so if your child is younger than five you will also need to arrange for them to be picked up either at midday or 3.30 p.m. If another adult will be home during the days, that's great but if not you may have to pay someone to do these drop off and pick up services.