ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

6 months work before graduate

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

bunytu
Newly Registered

6 months work before graduate

Post by bunytu » Sun Aug 21, 2005 10:36 am

Hi something about work experience to ask.

I have been working two years as Junior Industrial Engineer and Industrial Engineer, and the first 6 months of Junior Industrial Engineer was the last 6 months of my university. I worked full time at the same time when I was doing my dissertation. Can that 6 months be counted as graduate level?

It was before I finished the degree but it does need graduate level knowledge.

Emailed HSMP team but got standard answer

"Dear Sir

Work experience will only be considered if we are satisfied that the
references confirm graduate level responsiblities.

Regards

HSMP Team "

Any one has any experience of that?

amhilde

Post by amhilde » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:01 pm

hi again bunytu-

I worked full time through most of my masters degree- especially when writing my thesis. I had really detailed letters from my employers about when i started work full time and what my job duties were. They counted that just fine, but i gave myself an additional 6 months just in case- as in I applied in May 05 even though i started in Jan 01 because I didnt go exactly full time until May ( and i was working two jobs Jan-May of 01 and I didnt want to go through the hassle of trying to explain that)

bunytu
Newly Registered

Post by bunytu » Sun Aug 21, 2005 6:16 pm

Thanks.

Full time work during studying Master's was after your first degree, right? That might still make difference.

Thank you anyway.

amhilde

Post by amhilde » Sun Aug 21, 2005 7:04 pm

yup it was

kumi

Post by kumi » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:02 pm

amhilde wrote:yup it was
In bunty's case it might not work. Its clearly stated that the work experience is graduate level experience.., its clearly implied that its after graduation.

amhilde

Post by amhilde » Mon Aug 22, 2005 4:17 pm

kumi- I know that bunytu has a masters degree, so I assumed he meant that one.

bunytu
Newly Registered

Post by bunytu » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:35 pm

Thanks for reply.

I do have a master's degree. But that junior Industrial Engineer job started 6 months before I got my bachler's degree.

"The applicant does not necessary have to hold a degree to be awarded the points. It's more about whether the post held would noramlly require a degree level of experience/knowledge"

http://www.workingintheuk.gov.uk/ind/en ... RIENCE.pdf

Page 3

I guess I can argue that I was emplyed because I was on the way towards the first degree and I was employed becasue I already had the graduate level knowledge in the last 6 months of my 4 yrs study. My solicitor friend told me that to count work after graduation is a less risky way.

I think it will very much depends on individual case handler's consideration about that. Maybe I wait another 6 months and I will have 4 full yrs of experience after graduation, not decided.

Any body was ever awarded graduate level work experience points without holding a degree?

amhilde

Post by amhilde » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:54 pm

bunytu- I talked to my caseworker today and he said that they "only consider cases in black and white" If you have to argue too much on it in the first instance then it is unlikely to be approved. Just to warn you. You may best wait 6 months if you can.

LisaM77
Newly Registered

Post by LisaM77 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 6:16 am

Hi,

I was exactly in exactly the same situation as yourself as I started my job prior to completing my bachelor's degree. My case was that I had only 1 subject remaining by summer school and that wasnt to be until 6 months after I started the job.

So I got my experience letter to state that I was recruited even though I hadnt quite finished and it was fine, I was approved.

Cheers,
Lisa

bunytu
Newly Registered

Post by bunytu » Wed Aug 24, 2005 9:44 am

Thank you, Lisa.

Did your emloyer stated in the reference letter that you were recruited before graduation?

I find it odd to ask my former employer to do so as it's not a normal thing to say in reference.

LisaM77
Newly Registered

Post by LisaM77 » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:13 pm

Hi,

Well I actually wrote my own reference and my manager signed it, but I was specifically given the job because I had a almost finished my degree and my job (Proejct Accountant) cannot be done without a degree so that helped.

What I would suggest is see if they can say something like.. ' even though xxx hadnt completed his/her degree prior to starting in the company this was fine because they were due to complete shortly.'

Alot of employers do not penalise someone just because they are almost finished.

Cheers,
Lisa

bunytu
Newly Registered

Post by bunytu » Wed Aug 24, 2005 11:23 pm

Thanks a lot.