ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Registering with a Doctor - confused!

USA immigration, green card questions:
Employment based Green Cards | H-1B visas | Family based Visas | Citizenship

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

lilly-pad
Newly Registered

Registering with a Doctor - confused!

Post by lilly-pad » Tue Apr 14, 2009 1:16 pm

Hello

I'll be going to the US for a year and I take regular prescription medication. MY insurance won't cover this.

The UK system is so different the the US system! I need to go and see a Doctor early on to get a prescription set up. Any one any idea how to go about this. I'm confused if I should go to a walk in center or to an actual Doctors Practice. I heard going to a walk in center is a lot more expensive. Are the waiting lists to get a doctor very long?

Does anyone know how much roughly it will cost for me to go and visit the Doctor? Do I have to pay a fee to actually register with one or do I just pay when I go and see one. I'm worried about the costs of all of this.

Many thanks for reading.

pauliesgirl
Newly Registered

Post by pauliesgirl » Thu May 28, 2009 1:01 pm

Will you be working while there? If so your employer should provide health insurance, at an extra cost to you of course. Your insurance will list GPs and clinics in your area that are covered. If not, I don't believe walk in clinics take anyone without insurance unless you have the money up front to cover the visit. Not sure as every clinic is different with prices, it could be $50 or $150 to speak to a Dr for 5 minutes. Do you mind if I ask what your prescription is? If it's birth control, you can go to any planned parenthood for free or with donations of any amount and get a prescription that way. If it's not birth control, I would still give them a call and explain your situation and see if they know of any public clinics that do not require insurance. Hope that helps!