ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

How long for spouse visas from Algiers?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Swan

How long for spouse visas from Algiers?

Post by Swan » Fri May 01, 2009 8:08 pm

dear all
has anyone applied for a spouse visa from algiers lately, how long are they taking to process?
thanks
Swan

3crown

Re: How long for spouse visas from Algiers?

Post by 3crown » Mon May 04, 2009 1:03 pm

we applied this time last year and it took 10 weeks including a refusal and then overturn. Awful interview...
Good luck.
Swan wrote:dear all
has anyone applied for a spouse visa from algiers lately, how long are they taking to process?
thanks
Swan

Swan

Post by Swan » Mon May 04, 2009 1:19 pm

3crown wrote:we applied this time last year and it took 10 weeks including a refusal and then overturn. Awful interview...
Good luck.
thanks
Swan
Thanks a lot 3crown
i heard they apparently improved since january this year and they are sending the cases to London, but even though 10 weeks is a bit long .....

may i ask why were you refused? and what were the main difficult questions asked in the interview ?

thanks again

3crown

Post by 3crown » Mon May 04, 2009 1:40 pm

My hub went home and we just applied right in the middle of the rule changes last Feb/March vis-a-vis the new 10 year ban for overstayers. We got great support from our MP and had a great barrister who got the decision overturned within 3 weeks.

...some of the questions were:
have you met your parents in law
what are their dates of birth
How did you originally enter England?
Why are you answering me in English? You asked for the interview to be conducted in your own language...?
(she then went on to cite his poor understanding of English as a reason to refuse!)
Has your wife visited Algeria (I had, twice, and called them from their during the application process but they refued to let me attend his interview with him)
Hubby offered photos but got a stark "not interested!" from the delightful ECO
how much does your wife spend on petrol for getting to work (??__££!)
Your step-daughters' letters of support looklike they've been written by someone else
Why did you only choose to legalise yourself after you got married ?(because I did't want to be married to an illegal doh)
Swan wrote:
3crown wrote:we applied this time last year and it took 10 weeks including a refusal and then overturn. Awful interview...
Good luck.
thanks
Swan
Thanks a lot 3crown
i heard they apparently improved since january this year and they are sending the cases to London, but even though 10 weeks is a bit long .....

may i ask why were you refused? and what were the main difficult questions asked in the interview ?

thanks again

Swan

Post by Swan » Mon May 04, 2009 4:13 pm

3crown wrote:My hub went home and we just applied right in the middle of the rule changes last Feb/March vis-a-vis the new 10 year ban for overstayers. We got great support from our MP and had a great barrister who got the decision overturned within 3 weeks.

...some of the questions were:
have you met your parents in law
what are their dates of birth
How did you originally enter England?
Why are you answering me in English? You asked for the interview to be conducted in your own language...?
(she then went on to cite his poor understanding of English as a reason to refuse!)
Has your wife visited Algeria (I had, twice, and called them from their during the application process but they refued to let me attend his interview with him)
Hubby offered photos but got a stark "not interested!" from the delightful ECO
how much does your wife spend on petrol for getting to work (??__££!)
Your step-daughters' letters of support looklike they've been written by someone else
Why did you only choose to legalise yourself after you got married ?(because I did't want to be married to an illegal doh)
Swan wrote:
Good luck.
thanks
Swan
Thanks a lot 3crown

thanks again
that sounds awaful, how can they treat people like that? how is someone supposed toknow the date of birth of his parents in law!
thanks for sharing your experience, it will help us get prepared when my husband decides to go ..
i hope they changed a little!

thanks again

kamello
Newly Registered

Post by kamello » Mon May 04, 2009 7:37 pm

thanks
Swan
hi, we applied march last year under EU aplication, and it took us only 10 days.
goodluck

Swan

Post by Swan » Mon May 04, 2009 10:16 pm

kamello wrote:
thanks
Swan
hi, we applied march last year under EU aplication, and it took us only 10 days.
goodluck
that is excellent news although being an EU application might have made the difference..
thanks for sharing

3crown

Post by 3crown » Tue May 05, 2009 8:46 pm

Algiers, Rabat, Moldova and Kingston I think are some of the worst...We didn't have a great history and every case is different. good luck tho Swan - you may just sail straight through. :)
Swan wrote:
kamello wrote:
thanks
Swan
goodluck
that is excellent news although being an EU application might have made the difference..
thanks for sharing

Swan

Post by Swan » Tue May 05, 2009 10:52 pm

3crown wrote:Algiers, Rabat, Moldova and Kingston I think are some of the worst...We didn't have a great history and every case is different. good luck tho Swan - you may just sail straight through. :)
Swan wrote:
kamello wrote:
thanks
Swan
goodluck
thanks for sharing
Thanks 3crown, you are right, you never know ! I hope i will be posting here in few months of a succesful experience from Algeris ;) I have no other option but to be optimistic :)

thanks for the support

jaanabee

same situation!

Post by jaanabee » Thu May 28, 2009 3:39 pm

hiya,reading your posts has been really helpful...

im in the same situation and am hoping to apply for a spouse visa for my husband,as yet we r not married but are working on that.

can i ask,did ur husband stay in Algeria and u went to the court in UK? im not quite sure how it works?

thanks

Swan

Re: same situation!

Post by Swan » Sat May 30, 2009 9:08 am

jaanabee wrote:hiya,reading your posts has been really helpful...

im in the same situation and am hoping to apply for a spouse visa for my husband,as yet we r not married but are working on that.

can i ask,did ur husband stay in Algeria and u went to the court in UK? im not quite sure how it works?

thanks
janabee
why do you need to go to court?
my husband was always here in the uk, he is now going to apply from algeria for a spouse visa to come back.
our court case that failed was for him to retain his right of residence under EU law from his ex wife, and it was all done here, when your case is being processed by the court, you are not considered an overstayer until a decision is made.
I hope this helps, I am not sure about your question

jaanabee

Post by jaanabee » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:47 pm

sorry swan... i thought ur husband was an overstayer or something along those lines...

my man entered uk illegally,i spoke 2a lawyer and i was told we have a 50/50 chance,but we do have right 2an appeal...

u thought ur husband applied from algeria and got stuck there because his visa applicatiuon was rejected...and i thought u went 2court on his behalf in da uk! sorry :oops:

i have no idea how fings work...i just hope fings turn out ok...

how soon did u get a reply from the visa place? the time given is 3 months?

jaanabee

Post by jaanabee » Tue Jun 02, 2009 2:49 pm

sorry ... thats an I instead of a U

jaanabee

Post by jaanabee » Tue Jun 02, 2009 6:51 pm

swan

:oops: :oops: :oops: swan,im really stupid! i got you and 3rown mixed up!

so from what i understand ur husband is in algeria applying,wat visa did he come 2da uk wid if u dont mind me asking?

i hope urs is succesful and quick,let me know wat happens?

have they asked 4an interview yet? i know in algeria the applicant has 2make an appointment bt i duno wt dt means :oops:

anyway,im reli sorry 4da mix up and confusion,lol anyways gd luck!

3crown

Post by 3crown » Wed Jun 03, 2009 9:24 pm

Hi Jaanabee - it was my hub who was the overstayer, went back t Algeria Feb 08 (we'd been married 8 months) - apart for 3 + half months but I went over twice...he got mixed up in the change of rules last year, got refused (we were gutted) but then the ECM overturned the decision. Hurrah. !!!! he's been home a year on 15 June. Lovin it. ILR in May next year :) It's worth ALL the stress - but yuo never think so when you're going through it x x The BEST to you 2
jaanabee wrote:swan

:oops: :oops: :oops: swan,im really stupid! i got you and 3rown mixed up!

so from what i understand ur husband is in algeria applying,wat visa did he come 2da uk wid if u dont mind me asking?

i hope urs is succesful and quick,let me know wat happens?

have they asked 4an interview yet? i know in algeria the applicant has 2make an appointment bt i duno wt dt means :oops:

anyway,im reli sorry 4da mix up and confusion,lol anyways gd luck!

jaanabee

Post by jaanabee » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:00 pm

Hi 3crown.....

aww thanks,seems like u know how i feel!!

u sed that the ECM overturned the rejection,does that mean it didnt reach the court? ... how long did the papers take 2 process? i spoke 2an immigration advisor who sed i have a 50/50 chance,but if it reaches the court it will mostly go in our favour.......i just hope it doesnt come 2that!

im scared abt the law change,we have a baby together so i cant even imagine wat it wud be like if he was banned :cry:

it was nice 2hear ur side of things,and im sorry 4the constant questions...i have many but no answers :shock:

anyway,u have been very helpfull,thanks xx

3crown

Post by 3crown » Sun Jun 07, 2009 7:59 pm

Hello Jaanabee - no we consider ourselves lucky - we got an overturn and didn't have to wait agonising months to go to court. The law changed 3 times while we were waiting 3 1/2 months, and the final change in our favour where spouses are not banned from returning. It was still a tough time though and my mum was seriously ill at the same time. It was awful.

We had a barrister fighting with us as well - expensive but don't think we could have done it without her. I hope you don't have to go to court. Is his application being processed now?
jaanabee wrote:Hi 3crown.....

aww thanks,seems like u know how i feel!!

u sed that the ECM overturned the rejection,does that mean it didnt reach the court? ... how long did the papers take 2 process? i spoke 2an immigration advisor who sed i have a 50/50 chance,but if it reaches the court it will mostly go in our favour.......i just hope it doesnt come 2that!

im scared abt the law change,we have a baby together so i cant even imagine wat it wud be like if he was banned :cry:

it was nice 2hear ur side of things,and im sorry 4the constant questions...i have many but no answers :shock:

anyway,u have been very helpfull,thanks xx

jaanabee

hi

Post by jaanabee » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:45 pm

Hi 3crown....

oh,sorry 2 here abt that,it sounds like u had a terrible time of it

we consulted a lawyer in the UK and were told 2marry in Algeria and apply from here,but after 6 whole months its impossible 4 us so now he will apply as my fiancee....

why did u have a barrister? i thought one was only needed when it went 2 court........... (sorry abt all the questions,im just trying 2b as prepared as possible...money wise aswell) :oops:

i am just getting the paperwork ready,we wer intending 2marry and apply with a spouse visa but its not happening....

3crown

Re: hi

Post by 3crown » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:31 am

Hi Jaanabee -sorry for ages to get back to you - we've been busy. Hub entered illegally lots of years ago before we met and we were advised to get a Barrister from the outset. It cost a fortune and left us penniless but we're glad we did . Hub would still be in Algeria now if we hadn't. We got married in 2007 and applied for FLR & were refused so he returned voluntarily with all the right paperwork etc. in Feb 2008 prepared by Barrister. took 14 weeks - got an overturn on the refusal because of Barrister & brilliant MP. it was hell and I nearlly had nervous breakdown because my mum was seriously ill at the time too. I went out twice while he was there -the separation was making us both ill...And then the ECO's try to say these marriages are not real!!! OOh horrible days they were...He's been home a year now : going for ILR in May next year :lol:
jaanabee wrote:Hi 3crown....

oh,sorry 2 here abt that,it sounds like u had a terrible time of it

we consulted a lawyer in the UK and were told 2marry in Algeria and apply from here,but after 6 whole months its impossible 4 us so now he will apply as my fiancee....

why did u have a barrister? i thought one was only needed when it went 2 court........... (sorry abt all the questions,im just trying 2b as prepared as possible...money wise aswell) :oops:

i am just getting the paperwork ready,we wer intending 2marry and apply with a spouse visa but its not happening....

jaanabee

Post by jaanabee » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:20 pm

aww well i guess all is well that ends well,congratulations u sound over the moon! :D

thanks 4da tip,i think i might need a barrister 2!! we are gna need all da help we can get :cry: but that must have cost u loads.... hmmm,if its not one problem its another!

wish me good luck! and good luck with the ILR next year,im sure it wont give u any problems this time round! :wink:

Swan

Post by Swan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:37 am

thanks
Swan
Dear all
i just wanted to thank everyone who helped with their advice on my queries, i just got back from algiers with my husband, he has been given his 2 years spouse visa from algiers in 3 weeks !
we are over the moon after all we have been through, few informtaion that might help:
1- the visas are not taking as long as before from algiers, the decisions are made in london
2-you will be asked to submit a full copy of all the documents you provide with your application, the originals will be kept in the visa processing centre (VAC) in algiers while the copies will be sent to the visa issuing team in london via DHL
3- when a decision is made you can check it online regularly, you will also be called to come and collect your visa from the VAC centre, no interviews are held anymore

it was such a smooth process, no problems at all depsite the complication of my husband's case with his previous marriage and divorce and rentention of rights of residence that was rejected.

again thanks for everyone for their support
swan

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:49 am

Congratulations Swan. I am pleased for you. You must be overjoyed.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

jaanabee

Post by jaanabee » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:29 am

Swan..that is absolutely fantastic...lucky u :D

Swan

Post by Swan » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:27 am

Obie wrote:Congratulations Swan. I am pleased for you. You must be overjoyed.
thanks Obie and janabee, yes lucky me indeed, we were frightened for over a year !
a new life is starting for us
thanks again

Juv
BANNED

Post by Juv » Wed Sep 02, 2009 9:19 pm

I'm so happy for you Swan!!! Congrats!!! Best wishes!!