ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Success at chaotic Croydon PEO

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

munisa

ILR Success at chaotic Croydon PEO

Post by munisa » Thu May 28, 2009 12:04 pm

I attended Croydon PEO yesterday and successfully got my ILR based on 5yr wp (caught up by the 4 +1 yr crap)

A few tips about Croydon PEO:

1. My appointment was for 10am but the doors were not open until 9.40am. The people ahead of me with 9am appointments were seen from 10.30ish and so everyone was 1.30 hrs behind schedule.

2. There was only one queue for people applying for premium service and those attending biometric appointments. The queue was so long into the streets by 9.30 and nobody from HO seemed to bother to let people know why they were not opening the doors.

3. Their pin and chip machines were not working for some cards, and they refused to accept people to sign the machine print outs...this may have been the cause of late opening, but am not sure ... (Tesco lets you sign if their pin and chip aren’t working). So either carry a cheque book with you or an extra CC or DC.

4. Everything at Croydon is just snail speed slow. Please try and book an early appointment if you can. The number of people inside the building at 4pm when they stopped admitting anyone else were as many as they were in the morning when they opened the doors....haha lots of overtime for CWs.

5. A family ahead of me got their photos misplaced by the first IO at the reception who validates the application. This family were running like headless chicken looking for the photos when they were finally called on 1st floor for the interview. Their application was refused based on no photos yet not their fault. Again if you can, go with a pair of photographs in different pockets!

The level of incompetence in that office is mind boggling!
A Good Opportunity never occurs twice!

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Thu May 28, 2009 1:04 pm

Congratulations Munisa, did you have to show all your Payslips, P60's etc? Also did you change employers during last 5 years? if you did, did you have to show them orignal work permit letters?

Regards
Magsi

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Thu May 28, 2009 2:17 pm

Congrats Munisa i know you were worried about being stopped by police sometime ago, good to hear it went well.

Please do share more information about the remainder of the process, docs carried, questions asked etc as I am sure it will help many on this forum

munisa

Post by munisa » Thu May 28, 2009 3:16 pm

magsi23 wrote:Congratulations Munisa, did you have to show all your Payslips, P60's etc? Also did you change employers during last 5 years? if you did, did you have to show them orignal work permit letters?

Regards
Magsi,
I attended exactly 28 days before my end date (24/06/09). The reception guy seemed confused about this 28day calculation and almost turned me away. He had to seek clarification from his supervisors. Luckily I had the guidance notes and I read for him the specific clause.

I had all 12 month payslips but they were only interested in 3 months .. which must also match with transfers to the bank statement. I had a payslip dated 21/5/09 and a statement dated 9/5/09. So the last payslip did not have a corresponding bank statement transfer. I was asked to produce a 4th payslip so that the 3 statements show entries from the 3 payslips.

I havent changed the employer in 5 years thus only one letter was needed. But they required my original work permit to get a number they called ''worker number Cxxxx.
Cheers
Munisa

munisa

Post by munisa » Thu May 28, 2009 3:39 pm

f2k wrote:Congrats Munisa i know you were worried about being stopped by police sometime ago, good to hear it went well.

Please do share more information about the remainder of the process, docs carried, questions asked etc as I am sure it will help many on this forum
f2k,
Firstly, there are over 30 counters at Croydon and at times several of them call numbers over the intercoms at the same time! Some numbers start with letters. You can imagine all being called at the same time to different counters like P46, B46 and D46. And there are applicants with hungry children crying all over...You have to be very alert.

When I was called to the counter the lady was nice and she told me they are taking longer because they have been given fresh lists for new checks to carry out. She had a paper with her to promp on what to check implying they are not yet conversant with the new requirements. The first thing she asked was my application form and photos. She immediately stapled my photo to the form across the eyes and face. I was like wtf shes doing yet they insist on scratchless photos. She returned my second pic.

She only asked questions to confirm number of days I have been absent from UK and split between business and holidays. I had 150 in total so she was like ok with it. She seemed more stressed by the computer than me, as she kept saying ''I am waiting for your details to show up'' as she shuffled from one system to another.

Waiting to be given the outcome of my application was the longest stressfull moment ever in my life and when she finally told me she is giving me ilr I asked her whether she checked the PNC. She said yes but it is blank! So i realised the cop who threatened me earlier with caution was abusing his powers.

Must Have Docs:
passports
Work Permit
Employer letter
KOL
3 Payslips
3 statements
Photos
Giving them documents extra to those mentioned in the form just confuses them. They tick exactly what is on the form and if clarification is required then it is better you explain.

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Thu May 28, 2009 4:34 pm

Munisa - first of all, hearty congrats! Must be a big relief to get over the ordeal. Based on your description, Croydon PEO sounds like a bit chaotic. I will be going there in another month's time, so keeping fingers crossed...

I do have a couple of questions:
- Did they not ask for P60 forms for past 5 years?
- Re: number of days away from the UK, did you submit a spreadsheet to them with the details, or did you just mention the number of days? Did they cross-check this with passport entries or the computer?

Thanks.

munisa

Post by munisa » Thu May 28, 2009 5:08 pm

global gypsy wrote:Munisa - first of all, hearty congrats! Must be a big relief to get over the ordeal. Based on your description, Croydon PEO sounds like a bit chaotic. I will be going there in another month's time, so keeping fingers crossed...

I do have a couple of questions:
- Did they not ask for P60 forms for past 5 years?
- Re: number of days away from the UK, did you submit a spreadsheet to them with the details, or did you just mention the number of days? Did they cross-check this with passport entries or the computer?

Thanks.
Hi global gypsy,
-I had 4 P60s as the fifth one for year ending April 2009 is not ready (according to my employer). However, the case worker did not seem to bother much about that if you have payslips. My advice would be that you carry all the P60s and P45s that you may be having. If you dont have one or two, dont worry, just explain to the underpaid case worker. They seem to want to delay everything so that they get overtime. Please dont rush them - slowness is what earns them the ''extra expense claims' in the name of overtime.
-I had prepared a spreadsheet showing entry and exit dates with page numbers in my 3 passports for each. This helps especially if you have more than one passport or you have travelled alot. It saves the CW time going through the pp page by page or date by date on the application form. One key question they asked most people I was with was 'when was your last trip out of UK and have you gone outside again since then?' This is the entry stamp they look for in the passport, and it better be there. The answer for the second part of the question must be NO, or else he/she will walk away to the supervisor to confirm whether to continue or dismiss you.
Last edited by munisa on Thu May 28, 2009 5:14 pm, edited 2 times in total.

kiwi_in_the_uk

Post by kiwi_in_the_uk » Thu May 28, 2009 5:13 pm

munisa wrote:One key question they asked most people I was with was 'when was your last trip out of UK and have you gone outside again since then?' This is the entry stamp they look for in the passport, and it better be there.
Munisa, just how important is it to have that stamp? I am registered with the IRIS scanner system, which means I usually walk straight through and don't have to deal with the immigration control people - and therefore don't have a physical stamp. The HO must surely still have records of me coming back though, via IRIS.

munisa

Post by munisa » Thu May 28, 2009 5:24 pm

kiwi_in_the_uk wrote:
munisa wrote:One key question they asked most people I was with was 'when was your last trip out of UK and have you gone outside again since then?' This is the entry stamp they look for in the passport, and it better be there.
Munisa, just how important is it to have that stamp? I am registered with the IRIS scanner system, which means I usually walk straight through and don't have to deal with the immigration control people - and therefore don't have a physical stamp. The HO must surely still have records of me coming back though, via IRIS.
The HO CWs are completely ignorant about most of their own systems and rules. That must be the reason why postal applications take ages to decide. When you attend the premium appointment, be ready to educate them about IRIS scanner system. When he/she says that they cannot find your last entry stamp on your passport, cool your nerves and start the tutorial. Tell them that you are registered with IRIS that does bla bla and that is why you have no physical stamp. Cool down throughout. Once they understand, they will tell you to wait as they check for it from the system ..then multiple windows open on their screens followed by ''ok'' seen.

benjy
Newly Registered

debit card

Post by benjy » Thu May 28, 2009 8:29 pm

My wifes appointment is next month in Croydon and im paying with a debit card, what will happen if the machines fail? do you think i should take a postal order instead?

munisa

Re: debit card

Post by munisa » Thu May 28, 2009 8:41 pm

benjy wrote:My wifes appointment is next month in Croydon and im paying with a debit card, what will happen if the machines fail? do you think i should take a postal order instead?
What you need to weigh is the cost of the application being refused because of a trivial reason like malfunctioning pin and chip machines vs the cost of a postal order which you can redeem back if you do not use. If I were in your shoes I would buy the postal order just in case. I saw some people with 3 completed payment pages with different cards or cheques. Personally I had three pages, one for a debit card, the other for a credit card and one for cheque. I paid by cheque because the cards failed. No harm if the card readers are working on the day you attend. You will keep all the other payment pages with you and destroy them later.

mnaqvi
Newly Registered

Post by mnaqvi » Thu May 28, 2009 9:55 pm

munisa wrote:
kiwi_in_the_uk wrote:
The HO CWs are completely ignorant about most of their own systems and rules. That must be the reason why postal applications take ages to decide. When you attend the premium appointment, be ready to educate them about IRIS scanner system. When he/she says that they cannot find your last entry stamp on your passport, cool your nerves and start the tutorial. Tell them that you are registered with IRIS that does bla bla and that is why you have no physical stamp. Cool down throughout. Once they understand, they will tell you to wait as they check for it from the system ..then multiple windows open on their screens followed by ''ok'' seen.
Munisa,

first congratulations on ILR.

Ofcourse you helped some ppl with your reply and i don't want to take credit of that from you but Now i think its time you come back on planet earth.

I have been reading your post replies and looking at your reply you are getting nasty and nasty on case worker who gave you ILR yesterday.
Its a bit of shame i think how you are joking of their system and salary structure and how you claimed they used to delay applications for making overtime.

Its irony that for last 1 year i can see your posts and i can see nervouse confused person begging for help on HO "open file" issue , then you were cofused before going to meet one of your fiend in detention
then you begged help on your late night cop scene when a teenger was found in your car with condom as well.

Now you joking and making fun of their system , total shame on you.

Read last year post written from your own keyboard and compare todays replies in this post where you made fun on persons sitting their giving you permission to stay permanent in their country.

so come back to normal. its more than 24 hours now

first_sur
Newly Registered

Post by first_sur » Fri May 29, 2009 9:55 am

Congrats to you, your points are really helpful
I have a query , you have mentioned in must have documents 'KOL' what does that stand for.
Also the SET(O) form says you nedd to have the police registration certificate if you are asked to register with police, did they say anything about that?
Thanks

Sten

Post by Sten » Fri May 29, 2009 10:12 am

first_sur wrote:you have mentioned in must have documents 'KOL' what does that stand for.
methinks Knowledge of Life in the UK test
Good luck !

munisa

Post by munisa » Fri May 29, 2009 11:27 am

first_sur wrote:Congrats to you, your points are really helpful
I have a query , you have mentioned in must have documents 'KOL' what does that stand for.
Also the SET(O) form says you nedd to have the police registration certificate if you are asked to register with police, did they say anything about that?
Thanks
Yes you need Police Registration Certificate if your nationality requires you to do it. I am not sure what the criteria for that is, but I was not subject to Police registration as I am a commonwealth national. I think if you are not sure it would be best to phone the HO enquiries helpline and confirm rather than wait for the last minute surprise.

KOL = Knowledge Of Life in uk test certificate as Sten has already told you.

shivuu006

Post by shivuu006 » Fri May 29, 2009 12:04 pm

Hi Munisa

Congrats on getting ILR. I remeber seeing some of your earlier posts but I am not sure if you are few days short of your 5year period. If that is the case, did you find any problem while booking the telephone appointment or at PEO?

Thanks

munisa

Post by munisa » Fri May 29, 2009 12:28 pm

shivuu006 wrote:Hi Munisa

Congrats on getting ILR. I remeber seeing some of your earlier posts but I am not sure if you are few days short of your 5year period. If that is the case, did you find any problem while booking the telephone appointment or at PEO?

Thanks
I asked this specific question about days short of 5years. I was told so long as you are not short by 28 days you will be fine to apply. You must have been in UK for 4 years, 11 months 2 days = 28 before the date you entered, for you to apply. If you fall short of this then you have to extend your leave before applying.

viren68

Post by viren68 » Fri May 29, 2009 8:16 pm

Hello Friends,

I got an appointment at the Croydon PEO in July 2009 for ILR stamping.
Please any helpful tips and advise.

V

pankajmittal2004

Dependents for ILR

Post by pankajmittal2004 » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:18 am

I have got an appointment for ILR. Do I need to take my wife and 2 year old son with me? Some of the posts are very confusing. Some people say there application turned down on this basis that they didn't bring dependent and some people say that the caseworker even didn't ask. Any help regarding this query will be much appreciated.
PM2009

f2k
Diamond Member

Re: Dependents for ILR

Post by f2k » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:54 pm

pankajmittal2004 wrote:I have got an appointment for ILR. Do I need to take my wife and 2 year old son with me? Some of the posts are very confusing. Some people say there application turned down on this basis that they didn't bring dependent and some people say that the caseworker even didn't ask. Any help regarding this query will be much appreciated.
Dependents not necessary.

Just have another read of the post which says someone was denied because dependents were not there. please supply link. I suspect it may be for something else not WP/HSMP ILR

blue.olive

Re: ILR Success at chaotic Croydon PEO

Post by blue.olive » Mon Jun 01, 2009 9:05 pm

munisa wrote:I attended Croydon PEO yesterday and successfully got my ILR based on 5yr wp (caught up by the 4 +1 yr crap)

A few tips about Croydon PEO:

1. My appointment was for 10am but the doors were not open until 9.40am. The people ahead of me with 9am appointments were seen from 10.30ish and so everyone was 1.30 hrs behind schedule.

2. There was only one queue for people applying for premium service and those attending biometric appointments. The queue was so long into the streets by 9.30 and nobody from HO seemed to bother to let people know why they were not opening the doors.

3. Their pin and chip machines were not working for some cards, and they refused to accept people to sign the machine print outs...this may have been the cause of late opening, but am not sure ... (Tesco lets you sign if their pin and chip aren’t working). So either carry a cheque book with you or an extra CC or DC.

4. Everything at Croydon is just snail speed slow. Please try and book an early appointment if you can. The number of people inside the building at 4pm when they stopped admitting anyone else were as many as they were in the morning when they opened the doors....haha lots of overtime for CWs.

5. A family ahead of me got their photos misplaced by the first IO at the reception who validates the application. This family were running like headless chicken looking for the photos when they were finally called on 1st floor for the interview. Their application was refused based on no photos yet not their fault. Again if you can, go with a pair of photographs in different pockets!

Do you have template of employer letter, i will appreciate if you kindly provide tht
regards olive

The level of incompetence in that office is mind boggling!

munisa

Re: ILR Success at chaotic Croydon PEO

Post by munisa » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:00 pm

blue.olive wrote: Do you have template of employer letter, i will appreciate if you kindly provide tht
regards olive
[/quote]

My letter was as follows, and no questions were asked about it:

PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL

To whom it may concern

Re: Mr. X Y Z

I am writing to confirm that Mr X Y Z is currently employed by <ABC Co Ltd> since < DATE> and currently holds the positions of <JOB TITLE>

Their basic Notional Salary is £ <ANNUAL FIGURE> per annum.

They are employed on a full-time, permanent basis.

Yours Sincerely

<SIGNATURE>