ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need Help ...

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

mithai420

Need Help ...

Post by mithai420 » Fri May 29, 2009 9:38 am

Hi

Does anyone here know if PGDIT from Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning (SCDL) would qualify for Tier 1?

1.) Will NARIC verify that PGDIT from Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning (SCDL) = Master's Degree at UK

ELSE

Please suggest me some university from where we can complete Master's degree ( correspondance)

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Re: Need Help ...

Post by ChetanOjha » Fri May 29, 2009 10:52 am

Ajay,

ANy degree which is affiliated with Govt of India as Master Degree is recognised by NARIC. But degree provided by deemed institutions like Symbiosis/IIMs are not recognised.
You have to weigh you options why you want degree? Is it purely for UK visa or to gain knowledge.
mithai420 wrote:Hi

Does anyone here know if PGDIT from Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning (SCDL) would qualify for Tier 1?

1.) Will NARIC verify that PGDIT from Symbiosis Centre for Distance Learning (SCDL) = Master's Degree at UK

ELSE

Please suggest me some university from where we can complete Master's degree ( correspondance)

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Post by crowbar6 » Fri May 29, 2009 11:12 am

@chetanojha - This is incorrect. IIMs issue Post Graduate Diplomas in Management (PGDM) and these are equivalent to British Masters. My case is an example wherein I got the certification of equivalency done by NARIC in 2007.

Moreover, the PGDMs issued by IIMs are now recognized on the Points Calculator as being equivalent to British Masters.

I hope this helps.

chetanojha wrote:Ajay,

ANy degree which is affiliated with Govt of India as Master Degree is recognised by NARIC. But degree provided by deemed institutions like Symbiosis/IIMs are not recognised.
You have to weigh you options why you want degree? Is it purely for UK visa or to gain knowledge.

ELSE

Regards,
crowbar6

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Fri May 29, 2009 11:26 am

Thats a news to me. Thanks for sharing. Application of one of my friends was declined because his IIMB PGDM was not recognised by HO/NARIC.
crowbar6 wrote:@chetanojha - This is incorrect. IIMs issue Post Graduate Diplomas in Management (PGDM) and these are equivalent to British Masters. My case is an example wherein I got the certification of equivalency done by NARIC in 2007.

Moreover, the PGDMs issued by IIMs are now recognized on the Points Calculator as being equivalent to British Masters.

I hope this helps.

ELSE

crowbar6
Member of Standing

Post by crowbar6 » Fri May 29, 2009 11:36 am

Yes, there are have been rejections in the past.

One of my friends from IIML applied to NARIC for letter of equivalency and it got declined saying that it was not equivalent to British Masters. He nevertheless applied for an HSMP without the NARIC letter and was given points for Masters!

The good thing is that HO is now recognizing the PGDMs issued by IIMs, and is reflected on the Points Calculator as well.

@mithai420 - From your post below, it seems as if your objective of PG studies is to be able to qualify for a Tier 1 visa. If this is the case, then have a look at the Universities/Colleges listed in the Points Calculator as that will be your safest bet.
chetanojha wrote:Thats a news to me. Thanks for sharing. Application of one of my friends was declined because his IIMB PGDM was not recognised by HO/NARIC.
crowbar6 wrote:@chetanojha - This is incorrect. IIMs issue Post Graduate Diplomas in Management (PGDM) and these are equivalent to British Masters. My case is an example wherein I got the certification of equivalency done by NARIC in 2007.

I hope this helps.

ELSE

Regards,
crowbar6

alokyad
Newly Registered

Post by alokyad » Sun Jun 14, 2009 9:46 pm

Guys,

I guess question asked here is whether PD Diploma by SCDL is recongnised or not?

If Yes. Do anybody have any information/reference/experience where it been termed equivalent to Master degree?

Please put IIM's aside as they are in other bracket.

Also, I am looking for information where MASTER is compulsary for applying under Tier-1. Earlier I read it on official site but I cann't see any such information now. Also their documentation shows point you can earn for graduate degree then where is the complusion for master??

cheers
AY

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sun Jun 14, 2009 10:22 pm

alokyad wrote:Guys,

I guess question asked here is whether PD Diploma by SCDL is recongnised or not?

If Yes. Do anybody have any information/reference/experience where it been termed equivalent to Master degree?

Please put IIM's aside as they are in other bracket.

Also, I am looking for information where MASTER is compulsary for applying under Tier-1. Earlier I read it on official site but I cann't see any such information now. Also their documentation shows point you can earn for graduate degree then where is the complusion for master??

cheers
AY
Two things: (1) Check if the degree is listed on points calculator
(2) Request NARIC for letter of comparability

NARIC refers to the database maintained by AICTE for technical education and management degrees (& UGC for others). See if the course is listed on AICTE website. If yes you have good chances of geting a positive result post NARIC evaluation (provided the degree meets other criteria like contact hours etc.)
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

Manisharnie

Post by Manisharnie » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:36 pm

Well I also has PGDIT from symbiosis,I sent my degree for Naric comparison and the result is it is not considered equivalent to Master.I also looked at SCDL site and if you go to FAQs you will find your answer

alokyad
Newly Registered

Post by alokyad » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:10 am

Thanks Manish. Its disheartened to know that PD Diploma from SCDL doesn't stand chance here (looks like waste here).

Still would be great if anybody can Answer my second question i.e. Is MASTER a COMPULSION now for applying under Tier1? If Yes, please provide me any reference as I am unable to find one!

Thanks in advance

Cheers
AY

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:41 am

alokyad wrote: Is MASTER a COMPULSION now for applying under Tier1? If Yes, please provide me any reference as I am unable to find one!
For Initial Tier 1 application YES. Check the guidance notes.