ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse visa

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

malhoto
Newly Registered

Spouse visa

Post by malhoto » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:50 pm

I am on work permit and my wife is having Indefinite stay in UK.My work permit visa is till october 31st,2005. When can apply for spouse visa.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:24 am

1. When (month/ year) did your wife get ILR?

2. How did she get ILR?

3. When did you marry?

4. If applicable (i.e. 3 was before 1) why were you not included in her ILR application?

5. When did you get your WP?

malhoto
Newly Registered

Spouse Visa

Post by malhoto » Fri Aug 26, 2005 9:43 am

My wife got ILR in 2002. She is basically an indian. she got married in 2001 toa british guy and that's how she got ILR. She has a breakup and we got married on 7th August, 2005.
I got my work permit in 2003. Validity is OCtober 2003 till OCtober 2005.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Fri Aug 26, 2005 10:21 am

I am assuming you are still working for the WP sponsor and hence your WP visa is still valid. Apply for a spouse visa before your WP visa expires. Visas issued in the UK are now refered to as residence permits.

You can do this on Form FLR M which will list the documentation required:

1. In person at a Public Enquiry Office e.g. Croydon. Cost is GBP 500 and you may get your visa on the same day if you have all the documentation and no further enquiries are needed. You must make an appointment to attend any PEO. Croydon allowed walk-ins until about two weeks ago.

2. By post at a cost of GBP 335. Home Office service standards say case may take up to 13 weeks for consideration although most of this is due to processing backlogs i.e. your application is in a queue. At present (26 August 2005) their site shows they are processing spouse visas submitted (by post and presumably in person but needing further enquiries) in July 2005.

Initial spouse visa will be granted for 2 years with a restriction/ no recourse to public funds clause. You may work including self employment without needing a WP. 28 days before this visa expires and if your marriage is and will continue to subsist apply for ILR.

If you do not work for the WP sponsor then technically your WP visa is invalid. You need a valid visa for any 'in country' visa/ leave to remain application. The caseworker may exercise discretion and ignore your invalid visa but it is a huge risk to take unless there are serious compelling circumstances that prevent your return home such as a natural disaster. In this case return to your home country and apply for a spouse visa at the British Diplomatic Post which may require an appointment and/or interview.

Good luck

malhoto
Newly Registered

Spouse Visa

Post by malhoto » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:09 pm

My Work permit visa expires on 29 OCtober,2005. I want to ask how soon can I apply for it. Has it to be 1 month before the expiry of the current visa or can I apply now also. I want to go in person.

pls help.

thanks.

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:14 pm

You fail to respond to a question determining your options - do you still work for the employer that got you the WP?

malhoto
Newly Registered

Post by malhoto » Fri Aug 26, 2005 12:15 pm

Yes I am working for the same employer.