ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Local Elections "Foreigner" comment

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

esharknz

Local Elections "Foreigner" comment

Post by esharknz » Sat May 30, 2009 12:42 pm

Just back from my usual saturday shopping in the town I live in.
Today the Fianna Fail candidates were out campaigning (I'm registered to vote BTW) and was wondering why they were only interested in trying to get my other half's vote (he's Irish). Walked up the other side of the street only to have them pass me and make the comment "don't worry about them they are a foreigner" and walked past ignoring me (not that I was voting for them anyway).

Disgusting though. How do they know I'm not Irish? Is it the fact my grandfather is part Australian Aborigine and I've inherited a darker complexion? Will any Irish citizen children I have experience the same fate?

tom4

Post by tom4 » Sat May 30, 2009 5:34 pm

Hi, in your situation I think I may have let them know that I was registered and could vote, but not necessarily for them. It might have been a bit of a wake-up call for them and it could have been nice to watch their reaction.

LuasPassenger

Post by LuasPassenger » Mon Jun 01, 2009 11:36 pm

This is quite bad actually!

I mean, even if you're foreigner, you might be registered to vote here, so they shouldn't make that comment at all. They might have thought you were a tourist (did you have a camera?)... But still, I think the comment is completely inappropriate.

Anyway, I don't think Finna Fail are going to get many votes now...

esharknz

Post by esharknz » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:05 pm

I recall when the registration officials came to my door I had to call them back to say that I did want to enrol to vote. did the same to my kiwi next door neighbour.

I had a few shopping bags ie. butchers meat, gardening stuff, so can't have looked much like a tourist.

walrusgumble
BANNED

Post by walrusgumble » Fri Jun 05, 2009 10:32 am

sorry to hear about your problem.

but, look on the bright side (and i am in no way belittling the fact that the politicans dont seem to come across as someone open to talk to you - i also note this is probably only the tip of the iceberg with the crap you might get from people) at least you dont have to put up with their throwing leaflets in your face and promising teh sun, moon and stars simply by sharing the same foot path

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Fri Jun 05, 2009 1:08 pm

walrusgumble wrote:sorry to hear about your problem.

but, look on the bright side (and i am in no way belittling the fact that the politicans dont seem to come across as someone open to talk to you - i also note this is probably only the tip of the iceberg with the crap you might get from people) at least you dont have to put up with their throwing leaflets in your face and promising teh sun, moon and stars simply by sharing the same foot path
I think the overall feeling you get from being treated like crap by the government and a growing majority of the natives kinda overshadows the miniscule benefits you mentioned there.