ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Getting Married To Norwegian Citizen..(Advice Please)

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

s.aryan
Newly Registered

Getting Married To Norwegian Citizen..(Advice Please)

Post by s.aryan » Sun May 31, 2009 5:34 pm

I live in UK on a student visa status, i am getting married to a norwegian citizen who lives in poland as she is studying there...i know i need to apply for COA where i need to send both of our passports to home office for them to grant permission. Once i recieve the COA i need to register my marriage with a registrar, but i am just wondering for all this to happen she needs to come over to UK.

She is willing to do so as thats not a problem but, once i get my marriage registered and send my passport to home office...what's my status going to be?i have heard from people that a person get 5 years stay(visa). I have had chat with a solicitor as she said there should be no problem i can either go poland to get married to her or she can come down to UK and we can marry here..but the main thing i forgot to ask her was will i get stay in UK if yes then for how long.

I m bit confused as u all know NORWAY is not in (EU) but a memeber of EEA(European Economic Area) and my GF she dont live in UK..will i get a stay in UK as i am married to a European? If anyone do have some knowledge in this matter, your help will be appreciated.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: Getting Married To Norwegian Citizen..(Advice Please)

Post by Wanderer » Sun May 31, 2009 7:22 pm

s.aryan wrote:I live in UK on a student visa status, i am getting married to a norwegian citizen who lives in poland as she is studying there...i know i need to apply for COA where i need to send both of our passports to home office for them to grant permission. Once i recieve the COA i need to register my marriage with a registrar, but i am just wondering for all this to happen she needs to come over to UK.

She is willing to do so as thats not a problem but, once i get my marriage registered and send my passport to home office...what's my status going to be?i have heard from people that a person get 5 years stay(visa). I have had chat with a solicitor as she said there should be no problem i can either go poland to get married to her or she can come down to UK and we can marry here..but the main thing i forgot to ask her was will i get stay in UK if yes then for how long.

I m bit confused as u all know NORWAY is not in (EU) but a memeber of EEA(European Economic Area) and my GF she dont live in UK..will i get a stay in UK as i am married to a European? If anyone do have some knowledge in this matter, your help will be appreciated.
Not if she doesn't move to UK.

[Cynical]

Student visa expiring?

[/Cynical]
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Sun May 31, 2009 8:05 pm

Wanderer wrote:
s.aryan wrote:I live in UK on a student visa status, i am getting married to a norwegian citizen who lives in poland as she is studying there...i know i need to apply for COA where i need to send both of our passports to home office for them to grant permission. Once i recieve the COA i need to register my marriage with a registrar, but i am just wondering for all this to happen she needs to come over to UK.

[Cynical]

Student visa expiring?

[/Cynical]
The main problem with all of this is that your partner does not live in the UK! So why on earth would you think that marrying her, while she continues to live in Poland, would entitle you to a five year Residence Card in the UK? Unless she comes to live/work/study in UK, it aint gonna happen!

s.aryan
Newly Registered

Post by s.aryan » Sun May 31, 2009 9:06 pm

CLC

s.aryan
Newly Registered

Post by s.aryan » Sun May 31, 2009 9:10 pm

Wanderer wrote:

[Cynical]

Student visa expiring?

[/Cynical]

well, shes becoming a doctor and in her final year that is why she is living and studying in poland,according to your reply if she come to UK then i may be granted a stay,as shes studying so i guess it will be hard for her to come and stay with me,yet again what if she just come here for couple of months in her vacation and dont work and stay with me does that make a difference? Nothing to do with a student visa expiring or not. I guess you can marry anyone no matter whether u got visa or not, a person is not obliged to have visa to get marry to someone...the whole point of my posting here was,what will be the consequences if i apply to Home office, as u said no then on what basis and if yes then how?

s.aryan
Newly Registered

Post by s.aryan » Sun May 31, 2009 9:14 pm

Rozen wrote:
Wanderer wrote:

[Cynical]

Student visa expiring?

[/Cynical]
The main problem with all of this is that your partner does not live in the UK! So why on earth would you think that marrying her, while she continues to live in Poland, would entitle you to a five year Residence Card in the UK? Unless she comes to live/work/study in UK, it aint gonna happen!

Why on earth will they say NO, just because she is not living/studying or working in UK?on that basis? lets say she cant come UK as shes studying in poland so what other way you think is possible? yet again i am getting replies from ordinary people like me, any one more knowledge able can shed some light on this topic...

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sun May 31, 2009 9:33 pm

To get a residence card, she has to be exercising treaty rights in the UK through work or study for example, and that has to be in the UK and not in Poland for you to be able to live here. You will have to move to Poland or get further leave to remain in the UK some other way.
Once i recieve the COA i need to register my marriage with a registrar, but i am just wondering for all this to happen she needs to come over to UK.
To have a register office wedding in the UK you will both have to be at the wedding.

You do not get to stay in the UK just because you are married to a European.

http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/eucit ... ropeanlaw/
This section explains how you and your family members can apply for a registration certificate, a residence card, a family member residence stamp or confirmation of permanent residence in the United Kingdom if you are a national of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.
http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... dlaw/ecis/
3 Issue of a residence card

In order to issue a non-EEA national with a residence card, the following criteria must be met:
• The applicant must produce the passport or ID card of the EEA national family member, together with evidence of his/her relationship to the EEA national. For example, a spouse should produce a marriage certificate and a full birth certificate should be produced in respect of a child.
• The applicant should also submit a valid passport, or, where this is unavailable, a Home Office issued identity document, such as an ARC card, as evidence of his/her own identity.
• Evidence must be produced that the EEA national is exercising a Treaty right in the UK or has a permanent right of residence under the 2006 Regulations
Like Wanderer, my antennae are also twitching.

Why can't you extend your stay in the UK in your own right rather than marry a woman you do not even want to live with (at this point in time at least)?

s.aryan
Newly Registered

Post by s.aryan » Sun May 31, 2009 10:13 pm

PaperPusher wrote:To get a residence card, she has to be exercising treaty rights in the UK through work or study for example, and that has to be in the UK and not in Poland for you to be able to live here. You will have to move to Poland or get further leave to remain in the UK some other way.
Once i recieve the COA i need to register my marriage with a registrar, but i am just wondering for all this to happen she needs to come over to UK.
To have a register office wedding in the UK you will both have to be at the wedding.

This section explains how you and your family members can apply for a registration certificate, a residence card, a family member residence stamp or confirmation of permanent residence in the United Kingdom if you are a national of the European Economic Area (EEA) or Switzerland.

In order to issue a non-EEA national with a residence card, the following criteria must be met:
• The applicant must produce the passport or ID card of the EEA national family member, together with evidence of his/her relationship to the EEA national. For example, a spouse should produce a marriage certificate and a full birth certificate should be produced in respect of a child.
• The applicant should also submit a valid passport, or, where this is unavailable, a Home Office issued identity document, such as an ARC card, as evidence of his/her own identity.
• Evidence must be produced that the EEA national is exercising a Treaty right in the UK or has a permanent right of residence under the 2006 Regulations

Why can't you extend your stay in the UK in your own right rather than marry a woman you do not even want to live with (at this point in time at least)?

First of all how do you know that i dont want to live with her? where did that come from in your head? secondly i have been student on a student visa since 2003 had my degree my last extension was done in dec 2008 so i got biometric card and one year student extension till 31st dec 2009, now rather then applying for 2years PSW, and all that crappy schemes why dont i just get marry and save all that freaking hassle which every individual faces, and then am able to work as self-employed open up a business so on and so forth.Now here you go you got your answer paper pusher that why i dont want to extend my stay in the UK in my own right way,what are the options?HSMP! PSW! WORK PERMIT! all hassle and home office's crappy requirements doesnt make sense.Anyways once again thanks for your answer i ukba website you mentioned me i have been there plenty of time,it just waste of time to go n read over there,majority of the time the information given there is conflicting with other area of law or shall i say rather confusing.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Sun May 31, 2009 10:50 pm

With respect, I got the impression that you do not want to live with her at the moment because you said this:
then i may be granted a stay,as shes studying so i guess it will be hard for her to come and stay with me,yet again what if she just come here for couple of months in her vacation and dont work and stay with me
If she does not live and work or study in the UK, you cannot live in the UK as her spouse under the EEA regulations.

If you can explain what does not make sense about this, perhaps we can help or even explain it better. If she comes to the UK for a visit that would not enable you to live here permanently.

I am sure she will be happy to have you in Poland.

The Home Office will say no to your application for a family member residence card if she does not live here and will also say no if she is just here on a visit.

You will be able to get married in the UK.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sun May 31, 2009 11:44 pm

I can spot 'em a mile off!

OP's story and lack of basic understanding means I'd stamp this one with 'Marriage of Convenience' in Big Red Letters....

Next please...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

meats
BANNED

Post by meats » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:00 am

s.aryan wrote:
PaperPusher wrote:To get a residence card, she has to be exercising treaty rights in the UK through work or study for example, and that has to be in the UK and not in Poland for you to be able to live here. You will have to move to Poland or get further leave to remain in the UK some other way.

First of all how do you know that i dont want to live with her? where did that come from in your head? secondly i have been student on a student visa since 2003 had my degree my last extension was done in dec 2008 so i got biometric card and one year student extension till 31st dec 2009, now rather then applying for 2years PSW, and all that crappy schemes why dont i just get marry and save all that freaking hassle which every individual faces, and then am able to work as self-employed open up a business so on and so forth.Now here you go you got your answer paper pusher that why i dont want to extend my stay in the UK in my own right way,what are the options?HSMP! PSW! WORK PERMIT! all hassle and home office's crappy requirements doesnt make sense.Anyways once again thanks for your answer i ukba website you mentioned me i have been there plenty of time,it just waste of time to go n read over there,majority of the time the information given there is conflicting with other area of law or shall i say rather confusing.
Go and live in Poland or Norway...oh wait they won't give you benefits. Kindly fcuk off back to your own country!

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:18 pm

s.aryan wrote: First of all how do you know that i dont want to live with her? where did that come from in your head? now rather then applying for 2years PSW, and all that crappy schemes why dont i just get marry and save all that freaking hassle which every individual faces, and then am able to work as self-employed open up a business so on and so forth.Now here you go you got your answer paper pusher that why i dont want to extend my stay in the UK in my own right way,what are the options?HSMP! PSW! WORK PERMIT! all hassle and home office's crappy requirements doesnt make sense.Anyways once again thanks for your answer i ukba website you mentioned me i have been there plenty of time,it just waste of time to go n read over there,majority of the time the information given there is conflicting with other area of law or shall i say rather confusing.
There you have it! You just want to marry an EU citizen to avoid all this 'hassle'! You are obviously in it for the convenience. I hope your 'partner' realises this and gives you a wide berth! If you really want to be with her, why not go to Poland or Norway? It's people like you who make it hard for genuine couples who really love each other and want to be together. :x

batleykhan

Post by batleykhan » Mon Jun 01, 2009 2:51 pm

Sock it to him lass :D