ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Can Dependent Apply for Naturalisation together if <5 Yea

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

deepakgeorge
Newly Registered

Can Dependent Apply for Naturalisation together if <5 Yea

Post by deepakgeorge » Fri May 29, 2009 10:43 am

I had a look on the forum but could not find a smilar case.

My query is

I came to UK on Workpermit on May 22nd 2003 and on continous employment until now.

I got married and my wife joined me in the UK on dependent visa in April 2005. We both got ILR in May 2008.

Now We are planning to apply for Naturalisation. Reading guidelines on home office website,

My understanding is my wife can't apply with me for Naturalisation. As she has not completed 5 years in UK. But can apply the next day after I have got Naturalisation approval. As then she will be spouse of a british citizen and also completed 3 years in UK.

OR can we apply together ?? Trying to save some money in current economic situation by a single application.. Any guidance will be appreciated.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun May 31, 2009 12:39 am

I believe that your understanding is correct. If not applying as a spouse of British citizen, then 5 years' residence, etc., is required.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

Papafaith
Member of Standing

Post by Papafaith » Sun May 31, 2009 10:55 pm

Vinny, i seem not to be clear about this yet. I came into this country on July 16 2004, will be 5yrs by July 17th 2009 and i intend to apply for naturisation then. I benefit from this recent JR2. Will get ILR based on 4yrs in June with a backdated letter for the purpose of citizenship. My wife and two daughters joined me in October 2004. So does it mean that i cant apply for naturisation with them as my dependants in July 2009?
An eye for an eye will make the whole world blind.

vinny

Post by vinny » Sun May 31, 2009 11:46 pm

You will be deemed as settled after four years. However, if applying together, then I believe your wife will be eligible in Oct 2009 (she has to be in the UK at the start of her 5 years' qualifying period).
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ethan

back-date letter

Post by ethan » Fri Jul 24, 2009 7:00 am

Papafaith wrote:Vinny, i seem not to be clear about this yet. I came into this country on July 16 2004, will be 5yrs by July 17th 2009 and i intend to apply for naturisation then. I benefit from this recent JR2. Will get ILR based on 4yrs in June with a backdated letter for the purpose of citizenship. My wife and two daughters joined me in October 2004. So does it mean that i cant apply for naturisation with them as my dependants in July 2009?
HI, papfaith

thanks a lot. it is same to you. i am under the JR2. however, i have not got the letter for the purpose of citizenship. did you get this one? thanks alot!