ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Public fund and free learn direct course

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

baskey

Public fund and free learn direct course

Post by baskey » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:31 am

Hi,

There are free courses from LEarn direct available. I have taken CCNA course through them, i wonder whether will it be counted as claiming money from Public fund!!

Though it is not listed in the list of public fund.

Any comments pls..

Regards

Baskey

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Feb 04, 2005 10:52 am

Baskey .... the UK Government has many ways of paying benefits, or providing free or below-cost facilities. However the definition of "Public Funds" is a much much shorter list.

So, as you quite rightly say, courses such as the one done by you are not within the definition. So absolutely no problem!

Classic examples of the sort of things that are not within the definition of "Public Funds" include :-
  • sending a child to a State School
  • using the National Health Service (if now resident in the UK and not just here as a visitor)
  • etc etc
John

bbkaran

Post by bbkaran » Sun May 31, 2009 12:40 am

Could anyone tell me if the following are part of the "Public Funds"

1) NHS Maternity Exemption certificate
2) Free dental treatment during pregnancy

bbkaran
John wrote:Baskey .... the UK Government has many ways of paying benefits, or providing free or below-cost facilities. However the definition of "Public Funds" is a much much shorter list.

So, as you quite rightly say, courses such as the one done by you are not within the definition. So absolutely no problem!

Classic examples of the sort of things that are not within the definition of "Public Funds" include :-
  • sending a child to a State School
  • using the National Health Service (if now resident in the UK and not just here as a visitor)
  • etc etc
[Moderator Edit: No advertising]

bbkaran

New Zealand Permanent Resident

Post by bbkaran » Sun May 31, 2009 12:45 am

Could New Zealand Permanent resident claim Child Benefit while passport stamped with "No recourse to public funds"?

Does NZ has a social security arrangement with UK?

Thanks

bbkaran

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sun May 31, 2009 12:28 pm

bbkaran, in the first of your two posts, immediately above this, you ask about maternity-related benefits. The good news is that nothing maternity-related is within the definition of Public Funds, and accordingly you are perfectly entitled to claim the benefits you mention there.

Then in the second of your two posts you ask if someone from NZ is entitled to claim Child Benefit. See this HMRC webpage where you will see that NZ does indeed have a reciprocal agreement with the UK, so permitting a claim for Child Benefit.

Although you do not ask about Tax Credits, I shall also deal with that. There is no agreement with NZ concerning Tax Credits, and accordingly whilst a claim for Child Benefit is OK, as mentioned above, it is not OK to also claim Tax Credits.
John

willnotbackHSMP

Re: Public fund and free learn direct course

Post by willnotbackHSMP » Sun May 31, 2009 1:16 pm

baskey wrote:Hi,

There are free courses from LEarn direct available. I have taken CCNA course through them, i wonder whether will it be counted as claiming money from Public fund!!

Any comments pls..

Regards

Baskey
Didnt Learn Direct want to know from you that whether you were on some state benefits ( like income support / Job seekers allowance etc) before offering you free course ?

push
United Kingdom

Re: Public fund and free learn direct course

Post by push » Sun May 31, 2009 6:01 pm

willnotbackHSMP wrote:
baskey wrote:Hi,

Any comments pls..

Regards

Baskey
Didnt Learn Direct want to know from you that whether you were on some state benefits ( like income support / Job seekers allowance etc) before offering you free course ?
Thats Feb 2005 post !!
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

bbkaran

Post by bbkaran » Mon Jun 01, 2009 12:57 pm

John

Thanks very much. This means basically I have missed out on child benefit for more than 4 years. When I called child benefits enquiry number 4 years ago, I was categorically told anyone "under the immigration control" is not eligible to claim child benefits.

This answer was repeated to me today by the call centre agent, but this time I have had more info (thanks to you) to challenge that decision. The agent reluctantly agreed to send me the forms. My next question is my wife and I are Permanent Residents of New Zealand (not NZ citizens), and our child is a NZ citizen. Are we still eligible for Child Benefit? Or do we have to be NZ citizens?

Regarding Tax Credit,
please see this link, for countries with reciprocal social security arrangement with UK, there are seven ticks in the second column, which includes working tax credit but *not* child tax credit. So it looks like Working Tax Credit can also be claimed. Or am I missing some thing here?

Thanks for all your help John.
John wrote:bbkaran, in the first of your two posts, immediately above this, you ask about maternity-related benefits. The good news is that nothing maternity-related is within the definition of Public Funds, and accordingly you are perfectly entitled to claim the benefits you mention there.

Then in the second of your two posts you ask if someone from NZ is entitled to claim Child Benefit. See this HMRC webpage where you will see that NZ does indeed have a reciprocal agreement with the UK, so permitting a claim for Child Benefit.

Although you do not ask about Tax Credits, I shall also deal with that. There is no agreement with NZ concerning Tax Credits, and accordingly whilst a claim for Child Benefit is OK, as mentioned above, it is not OK to also claim Tax Credits.

Kaff
Member of Standing

Post by Kaff » Mon Jun 01, 2009 3:25 pm

That' good news.
I am New Zealand citizen, but due to fact that I have no resource to Public fund, I didn't bother to claim benifit for my chaild, which I will do now. Thanks guys for clarifying this.

John, regarding your not where we are not eligible for Tax credits, but according to the link http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/sitec ... cfunds.pdf we are entitled to Working tax credit? is that right?

Please could you clarify?

Many Thanks
Kaff

Kaff
Member of Standing

Post by Kaff » Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:03 am

Finally got the Child benefit as New Zealander. Hope you would have sorted your (bbkaran)
Cheers
Kaff