ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Naturalization question [Business trips outside UK] ?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ukbalaji
Newly Registered

Naturalization question [Business trips outside UK] ?

Post by ukbalaji » Wed Jun 03, 2009 1:58 pm

Hi All !

I have been in the UK on Work permit since Jan 2002. I got my I.L.R in Feb 2006. I have generally stayed in the UK except for vacations totalling no more than 5 weeks per year.

I did step outside the UK for 3 weeks in August 2008 and 2 weeks in Dec 2008. However, I have been abroad since the last 2 months on a business visit. I still get my UK salary and pay UK taxes. My return flight back to UK is on day after tomorrow, but my company wants me to stay here(abroad) for another 2 to 2.5 months, say until mid August. Due to personal reasons, I would like to stay as well.

However, I do plan to apply for naturalization very soon, as soon as I get back to the UK and take the "Life in the UK test". Will this pose a problem ? Perhaps I should just return back to UK next week ?

I am in a dilemma and need to decide very soon. if I have to delay my day-after-tomorrow flight, I need to do it by tomorrow mid day. Thanks a bunch in advance for any replies.

Cheers !

republique
BANNED

Re: Naturalization question [Business trips outside UK] ?

Post by republique » Wed Jun 03, 2009 2:58 pm

ukbalaji wrote:Hi All !

I have been in the UK on Work permit since Jan 2002. I got my I.L.R in Feb 2006. I have generally stayed in the UK except for vacations totalling no more than 5 weeks per year.

I did step outside the UK for 3 weeks in August 2008 and 2 weeks in Dec 2008. However, I have been abroad since the last 2 months on a business visit. I still get my UK salary and pay UK taxes. My return flight back to UK is on day after tomorrow, but my company wants me to stay here(abroad) for another 2 to 2.5 months, say until mid August. Due to personal reasons, I would like to stay as well.

However, I do plan to apply for naturalization very soon, as soon as I get back to the UK and take the "Life in the UK test". Will this pose a problem ? Perhaps I should just return back to UK next week ?

I am in a dilemma and need to decide very soon. if I have to delay my day-after-tomorrow flight, I need to do it by tomorrow mid day. Thanks a bunch in advance for any replies.

Cheers !
You can not be absent more than 90 days in the year before you apply for naturalisation.

ukbalaji
Newly Registered

Re:

Post by ukbalaji » Wed Jun 03, 2009 3:18 pm

Thanks republique.

What does "last year" mean tho ? The last 12 months from the date my application was received by the Home Office ?

Are business trips outside the UK treated any differently ? this seems to be implied here : http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/britis ... cesfromuk/

"the absences were unavoidable due to the nature of your work. For example if you are a merchant seaman or work for a United Kingdom based business which requires frequent travel abroad;"

I have been out the last 2 months on a software company project where all the actual development work is happening in India. I could still do the work from UK, but it is in the company's interest that I spend the time actually working with the developers back there. So I could get the company to write me a letter.

republique
BANNED

Re:

Post by republique » Wed Jun 03, 2009 4:13 pm

ukbalaji wrote:Thanks republique.

What does "last year" mean tho ? The last 12 months from the date my application was received by the Home Office ?

Are business trips outside the UK treated any differently ? this seems to be implied here : http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/britis ... cesfromuk/

"the absences were unavoidable due to the nature of your work. For example if you are a merchant seaman or work for a United Kingdom based business which requires frequent travel abroad;"

I have been out the last 2 months on a software company project where all the actual development work is happening in India. I could still do the work from UK, but it is in the company's interest that I spend the time actually working with the developers back there. So I could get the company to write me a letter.
Yes that is what it means
You arenot merchant seaman but most business people have this issue so if you get a note from the employer that you were on business it should work but nothing is guaranteed. You found the guidance so I can't be any more clear that what it says.