ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR - Time Allowed outside of the UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Phil_C

ILR - Time Allowed outside of the UK

Post by Phil_C » Tue Jun 02, 2009 12:35 pm

Hi All,

Can someone advise how long you are allowed to be outside of the UK 12 / 24 months before your ILR application?

My fiancé has been in UK for 5 years, ILR application to be made in spring 2010 BUT she is planning a 2 month trip back to her home country from July - September and has already been outside of the country for 14 days so far this year which will mean she will have been outside of the UK for approximately 75 days in the 12 months before the application. Will this cause a problem? Can anyone advise? Thanks.

P.S. I’ve checked with the Home Office website and it seems very ambiguous..…

nksg

Post by nksg » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:17 pm

As per the guidance notes SETO you are allowed out of country max of 90 days in a stretch and 180 days in total (5 years).

Looking at what you just said it should not be a issue for yr parther if her stay is 2 months.

Phil_C

Post by Phil_C » Tue Jun 02, 2009 1:52 pm

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and the information - could you advise where you found these guidelines? Do you have a link?

That's good to know regarding an allowance of 90 days 12 months prior to application (that should be ok then) BUT she will easily have exceeded 180 days over 5 years.

Are you sure it's 180 days over 5 years? Can anyone confirm?

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:34 pm

This question has been raised quite a few times here.
It's 45 days on average per year. During the days when you needed to complete 4 years to be eligible for an ILR, that worked out to a max of 180 days over 4 years.
Now that the requirement has been increased to 5 years (with the exception of the HSMP JR scenario), the max no. of days is 225.

Also please note that weekends and public holidays are discounted when calculating the number of days away.

Hope that's clear.

krishna186

Post by krishna186 » Tue Jun 02, 2009 9:59 pm

global gypsy wrote:This question has been raised quite a few times here.
It's 45 days on average per year. During the days when you needed to complete 4 years to be eligible for an ILR, that worked out to a max of 180 days over 4 years.
Now that the requirement has been increased to 5 years (with the exception of the HSMP JR scenario), the max no. of days is 225.

Also please note that weekends and public holidays are discounted when calculating the number of days away.

Hope that's clear.
Does this apply to 10 year long residence ( weekends and public holidays not counted ) i the 450 days you are allowed to be outside the country and no more than 180 days in one go ??

adnantps

Post by adnantps » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:34 pm

nksg wrote:As per the guidance notes SETO you are allowed out of country max of 90 days in a stretch and 180 days in total (5 years).

Looking at what you just said it should not be a issue for yr parther if her stay is 2 months.
Which guidance is this? can u send me the link. Teh SET(O) doesnt mention this Guide SET(O) - version 05/2009
adnan

kiwi_in_the_uk

Post by kiwi_in_the_uk » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:41 pm

global gypsy wrote:Also please note that weekends and public holidays are discounted when calculating the number of days away.
Can you clarify where the HO has stated this?

f2k
Diamond Member

Re: ILR - Time Allowed outside of the UK

Post by f2k » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:27 pm

Phil_C wrote:Hi All,

Can someone advise how long you are allowed to be outside of the UK 12 / 24 months before your ILR application?

My fiancé has been in UK for 5 years, ILR application to be made in spring 2010 BUT she is planning a 2 month trip back to her home country from July - September and has already been outside of the country for 14 days so far this year which will mean she will have been outside of the UK for approximately 75 days in the 12 months before the application. Will this cause a problem? Can anyone advise? Thanks.

P.S. I’ve checked with the Home Office website and it seems very ambiguous..…
What permission is she currently on at the moment? WP, HSMP, TIER1, Spouse of BC or someone settled? dependent?

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:56 pm

kiwi_in_the_uk wrote:
global gypsy wrote:Also please note that weekends and public holidays are discounted when calculating the number of days away.
Can you clarify where the HO has stated this?
Kiwi - I remember reading this somewhere, both here and on the UKBA site. Must admit where though, the HO site is a nightmare ploughing thru.
I am planning to do a bit of search over the weekend and print out all the relevant documents, just so that I can show them to the caseworker just in case there is an issue.
Ah, talking about caseworker, I believe there are these caseworker instructions documents somewhere on the UKBA site. Some of the gurus here may be able to retrieve them for you. Vinny?

Maybe a very good idea to have a sticky thread where this info is kept.
Talking about sticky threads, perhaps this is a good time to clean up some of the old ones? Admins, please help!

nksg

Post by nksg » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:00 pm

Not able to find it now.. but i am sure i have read it on the SET O possibly some time in Jan/feb 09.

http://www.entryclearanceservices.com/i ... eLeave.php

I know this as i have been a victim of this rule as i have 94 days gap out of country. So will have to wait for 11 more months for ILR. Other wise i was eligible in April 2009.
adnantps wrote:
nksg wrote:As per the guidance notes SETO you are allowed out of country max of 90 days in a stretch and 180 days in total (5 years).

Which guidance is this? can u send me the link. Teh SET(O) doesnt mention this Guide SET(O) - version 05/2009

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:33 pm

global gypsy wrote: Also please note that weekends and public holidays are discounted when calculating the number of days away.

Hope that's clear.
Not really, it can be disregarded if they choose to so you should not rely on it.