ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Question on HEALTH...!!!!

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

coolsats
BANNED

Question on HEALTH...!!!!

Post by coolsats » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:59 am

Hi Friends,

I have a query..

As soon as i land in UK am i automatically entitled for health benefits or do i need to take some kind of insurance from there, how much does it cost........

Do i need to get any insurance card or something, am not sure on this ..

Can you advice ppl...!!!

jimmymcad
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by jimmymcad » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:52 am

Yes, you need to get yourself registered with the GP.

Call you local GP and take the appointment, they will ask for your Passport and will register you hopefully.

Regards,
Jimmy

tvn_ramesh
Diamond Member

Re: Question on HEALTH...!!!!

Post by tvn_ramesh » Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:31 am

coolsats wrote:Hi Friends,

I have a query..

As soon as i land in UK am i automatically entitled for health benefits or do i need to take some kind of insurance from there, how much does it cost........

Can you advice ppl...!!!
GP requires Passport + accomodation proof with ur name and wife's (If married) in it..

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Re: Question on HEALTH...!!!!

Post by ChetanOjha » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:01 pm

Try not to get sick in the intial days. GPs here sucks....
coolsats wrote:Hi Friends,

I have a query..

Can you advice ppl...!!!

pcr
Newly Registered

Post by pcr » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:40 pm

I was asked to submit 3 months payslips along with residential address proof. I was told that the requirement is, one has to show minimum 3 months NI contributions to get registered with a GP. So I had to wait for 3 months. Nothing required for dependants.

This was the case of last year. I am not sure about current requirements and other areas.

coolsats
BANNED

Post by coolsats » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:47 pm

Excuse my ignorance..
but what does GP stands for...

In case if anybody is hospitalized, is it all free of charge..

After registering with the GP, so every medical facility comes free of charge...

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:12 pm

It is General Practioner.

Coolsat , just drop your notion of getting anything free in UK. You only get to see GP for free. Rest everything is chargeable. Its like Indian Govt. Hospitals with better hygeine but Crap service and long waiting time. I would advice you not to inquire about things in detail..leave something to surprise you except job :-)
coolsats wrote:Excuse my ignorance..
but what does GP stands for...

In case if anybody is hospitalized, is it all free of charge..

After registering with the GP, so every medical facility comes free of charge...

coolsats
BANNED

Post by coolsats » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:50 pm

Appreciate your reply chetan....excellent...

No, i do not expect anything free in UK.... :lol:

Got a query, can i carry common medicines for cold, cough, fever etc etc in my baggage while leaving for UK. Do i need subscription for these medicines or i can carry it without any problem...pls clarify my doubt...

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Thu Jun 04, 2009 3:06 pm

chetanojha wrote:You only get to see GP for free. Rest everything is chargeable.
Am I missing something here. I think everything is free with exception of fixed prescription charges. When I said everything, it means surgery, x-ray, any tests eg. CT scan etc. Imagine how much it cost , if done privately.

yasa
Diamond Member

Post by yasa » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:53 pm

gotcha wrote:
chetanojha wrote:You only get to see GP for free. Rest everything is chargeable.
Am I missing something here. I think everything is free with exception of fixed prescription charges. When I said everything, it means surgery, x-ray, any tests eg. CT scan etc. Imagine how much it cost , if done privately.
You are rite dude it includes operation, maternity and emergency with medicines.... try and respect this... i donno about other GPS but mine in Harrow are good with no complaints....
=======================
Every cloud has silver lining
=======================

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:53 pm

Hi gotcha,

Yes you missed the following sentence. "Its like Indian Govt. Hospitals with better hygeine but Crap service and long waiting time". There as well surgey,maternity etc are free provided you can wait(or probably live).
gotcha wrote:

gotcha
Member of Standing

Post by gotcha » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:51 pm

chetanojha wrote:Hi gotcha,

Yes you missed the following sentence. "Its like Indian Govt. Hospitals with better hygeine but Crap service and long waiting time". There as well surgey,maternity etc are free provided you can wait(or probably live).
gotcha wrote:

You are loosing track here. I quoted you for free services, not it's standards. This can be argued again.

You can always find negatives in any system. It's like seeing half glass full or empty.

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:16 pm

Well for the sake or argument, I compared the services/charges with what we get in India so that coolsat can get a idea about it. I am not finding fault with the system .
India has got the similar setup that includes free checkup,x-ray,maternity etc. (when prescribed by govt. doctor) in govt hospital.

Hope this will clear things up.
gotcha wrote:
chetanojha wrote:Hi gotcha,

gotcha wrote:

You are loosing track here. I quoted you for free services, not it's standards. This can be argued again.

You can always find negatives in any system. It's like seeing half glass full or empty.
Last edited by ChetanOjha on Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Thu Jun 04, 2009 9:17 pm

coolsats wrote:Got a query, can i carry common medicines for cold, cough, fever etc etc in my baggage while leaving for UK. Do i need subscription for these medicines or i can carry it without any problem...pls clarify my doubt...
Yes. Leave the medicines/syrup bottles in checked in baggage. Liquids are not allowed on flight and medicines in a quantity more than what you might require during flight are not allowed in hand baggage. However they are pretty relaxed about medicines (not medicine bottles) in hand baggage. Dont carry any psychotropic medicinal substance without prescription however.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer