ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ALL student visas to be six month?

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

ALL student visas to be six month?

Post by Wanderer » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:53 pm

I friend of a friend (yeah, I know!) tells me his friends friend who is on a full time degree course (two years or more) was only given a six month visa despite the above.

Was told all student visas now will be six month ones so they can can control and review abuse etc.

Does anyone know if this is relly true, as I say my evidence is a bit tenuous. If it is is the visa extention fee gonna be 250/500 quid every SIX months? Can't see it myself but with this Government.........

Steve

EJ

Post by EJ » Tue Aug 30, 2005 12:58 pm

How long did your friend pay for? In the past they only issued visas up to the period where tuition fees were fully paid up for.

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Aug 30, 2005 1:03 pm

EJ wrote:How long did your friend pay for? In the past they only issued visas up to the period where tuition fees were fully paid up for.
Ahh, I dunno that. I'll ask.

I did ask if it said anything about work etc, ie was it actually a short term student visa but he didn't know.

Seems a bit unfair tho - favours those with lots of cash, those paying year-to-year get to pay more visa fees......

Steve

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

Post by yodiyokun » Tue Aug 30, 2005 2:43 pm

i just got a one year student visa last week from the british diplomatuc post in my country and i paid only a deposit fee of 500 pounds to city university to comfirm my place.
a friend got 18 months just last week as well.
My bow has been renewed

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:09 pm

yodiyokun wrote:i just got a one year student visa last week from the british diplomatuc post in my country and i paid only a deposit fee of 500 pounds to city university to comfirm my place.
a friend got 18 months just last week as well.
How much evidence did they ask for with regard to evidence of funds? According to ukvisa site it seems quite stringent.

I just wonder what the reality is!

Steve

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

Post by yodiyokun » Tue Aug 30, 2005 3:51 pm

bank statements and any other documents to show financial muscle
My bow has been renewed

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Aug 30, 2005 4:09 pm

yodiyokun wrote:bank statements and any other documents to show financial muscle
So u don't actually need to show the full cost of the course and accomodation and living expenses in ready cash?

Steve

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

Post by yodiyokun » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:50 pm

the account must have enough turnover and current balaance to show you can easily afford to bear all the related expenses
My bow has been renewed

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Tue Aug 30, 2005 5:55 pm

yodiyokun wrote:the account must have enough turnover and current balaance to show you can easily afford to bear all the related expenses
This is what I don't understand, how can any student show they have say at a conservative estimate, 15,000 pounds sterling free and available per annum?

Surely it's not all down to rich parents?

Steve

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

Post by yodiyokun » Tue Aug 30, 2005 6:42 pm

yep!
i'm afraid , its down to rich sponsors or parents.
U can also be self sposonred but u have to explain why you want to blow all your life savings on one course???
My bow has been renewed