ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Switching from Tier 1 Post Study Work to Tier 1 General

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

boonkoh
Newly Registered

Switching from Tier 1 Post Study Work to Tier 1 General

Post by boonkoh » Fri Jun 05, 2009 11:39 am

Hi all,

Its my first post... I have been reading many threads on this forum and it has been very useful! Thank you to all who have been posting :D

I just have a question that I haven't been able to find an answer to so far...

I am currently on the Tier 1 Post Study Work visa (granted last August 2008) so it is valid for 2 years until August 2010. From my understanding, the PSW visa is to be used as a bridging visa between student and the full Tier 1, as written on the UKBA website:(http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... poststudy/)
The category provides a bridge to highly skilled or skilled work. If you are granted permission to stay as a post-study worker, we expect that you will switch into another tier of the points-based system as soon as you are able to
So it looks like it is encouraged for PSW holders to apply for a switch to Tier 1 as soon as they are able to, presumably when the earnings requirement is reached. Having started work last July 08, I have now (almost) been in work for 12 months and earn more than the earnings requirement, and so have been looking to switch to the Tier 1 General.

My question is... provided that I get approved for the Tier 1 General, will I get 3 years added on to August 2010 (the date of my PSW expiry), or will it be from 3 years from the date of approval? I have heard that the official line is the latter case, but lots of people have gotten the former when applying 4-6 months before expiry for HSMP->Tier1 switch.

Does anyone have any personal experience, anecdotal evidence, or something confirmed from the HO as to whether the 3 years will be added to the end or not?

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:22 pm

As far as I think you will be treated like a fresh Tier 1 (General) applicant since you are changing visa category from Tier 1(PSW) to Tier 1 (General).
My question is... provided that I get approved for the Tier 1 General, will I get 3 years added on to August 2010 (the date of my PSW expiry), or will it be from 3 years from the date of approval? I have heard that the official line is the latter case, but lots of people have gotten the former when applying 4-6 months before expiry for HSMP->Tier1 switch.

dahokolomoki
- thin ice -

Post by dahokolomoki » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:48 pm

So each of the Tier 1's (e.g. General, PSW, Investor) are all considered a different categories....

Does this also apply for the 5 years in the same visa category that is needed to apply for Indefinite Leave to Remain? Or does the HO count all Tier 1's in the same category for this?
[Edit: Advertising removed by Moderator]

yasa
Diamond Member

Re: Switching from Tier 1 Post Study Work to Tier 1 General

Post by yasa » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:16 am

boonkoh wrote:Hi all,

Its my first post... I have been reading many threads on this forum and it has been very useful! Thank you to all who have been posting :D

I just have a question that I haven't been able to find an answer to so far...

I am currently on the Tier 1 Post Study Work visa (granted last August 2008) so it is valid for 2 years until August 2010. From my understanding, the PSW visa is to be used as a bridging visa between student and the full Tier 1, as written on the UKBA website:(http://www.ukba.homeoffice.gov.uk/worki ... poststudy/)
The category provides a bridge to highly skilled or skilled work. If you are granted permission to stay as a post-study worker, we expect that you will switch into another tier of the points-based system as soon as you are able to
So it looks like it is encouraged for PSW holders to apply for a switch to Tier 1 as soon as they are able to, presumably when the earnings requirement is reached. Having started work last July 08, I have now (almost) been in work for 12 months and earn more than the earnings requirement, and so have been looking to switch to the Tier 1 General.

Does anyone have any personal experience, anecdotal evidence, or something confirmed from the HO as to whether the 3 years will be added to the end or not?
U r switching your visa not extending...
=======================
Every cloud has silver lining
=======================