ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

hopeless situation

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Rex

hopeless situation

Post by Rex » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:23 am

hi

i am in london on hsmp from last 2 months.
applied for more than 500 jobs through reed & jobserve.
i only had one interview with client and lots of telephonic screening from agencies but unfortunately no one came back.

i have 4+ years exp. with last 3 years with c# & vb.net at united nations in geneva switzerland....

can anyone suggest what can be wrong in my case ...

does being a pakistani matters? same is the case with my spouse

olisun
Diamond Member

Post by olisun » Mon Aug 22, 2005 6:56 am

amhilde

Post by amhilde » Mon Aug 22, 2005 7:57 am

Rex- stupid question, but is your CV in UK standard format? Do you have prior UK work experience? This seems to be a sticking point for a lot of people- you may have to accept a lower job to get this experience first.

OFCHARITY
Member of Standing

Post by OFCHARITY » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:35 am

Rex

As well as the advice given by the other members, just keep trying, 2 months seems long when you are looking for work but ii is really is a short period of time, even british citizens sometimes take longer than that to get a job, try more agencies, try googling by job title rather than just going to particular agencies websites, this way you find out about jobs from smaller agencies who in my experience proved to be better than the larger reeds etc.
'In everything give thanks'

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:47 am

Tips:

a. You can offer a percentage to the consultant.
b. Rewrite your CV [could have multiple versions adressing specific requirements]
c. Covering letter is important

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

Post by yodiyokun » Mon Aug 22, 2005 12:54 pm

time factor,
how does a cover letter look like.. i mean what's the format
My bow has been renewed

timefactor
Member of Standing

Post by timefactor » Mon Aug 22, 2005 1:26 pm

will try to post a skelton format when i'm off-work

Rex

Post by Rex » Sun Aug 28, 2005 12:39 am

thanks to all for youre replies, about CV format i dont have UK standard CV format, can any post it?

amhilde

Post by amhilde » Sun Aug 28, 2005 1:07 am

well that could be the major problem- UK companies like to see CVs in standard UK format. Have a quick look online- there are plenty of examples.

hk_007

Post by hk_007 » Tue Aug 30, 2005 11:45 pm

Rex wrote:thanks to all for youre replies, about CV format i dont have UK standard CV format, can any post it?
CV presentation is very important and it is advisable to take help of professional CV writers. It will cost a bit but will be worth it. If you wish to format your own, then are plenty of examples available on the net. Also, register with employment agencies such as Adecco, SRG etc. In fact the larger agencies will also help you rewrite your CV to suit a job requirement. All the best.

DeepThroat

Post by DeepThroat » Wed Aug 31, 2005 9:35 pm

Guys I am in a similar situation
When you get in front of these people for interviews , being an Asian I think will be a disadvantage. I am in Uk for the past 4 months without a job and am running short on my cash reserves. So am planning to go back to my country in a few weeks time.

cheers.

amhilde

Post by amhilde » Thu Sep 01, 2005 5:20 am

DeepThroat-

I saw some of your past posts and you just got a futher 3 years..... what happened? Did you get a contract when you first arrived and havent been able to get anything since or....? And how do you feel as an Asian in front of British interviewers- a sense of disdain or that they dont understand you or what? (I ask this as an anthropologist- just curious!). You would think that in IT they would have had enough experience with Asians that this shouldnt be an issue- something like say marketing or sales where I doubt there are many non-native Asians I could see that happening, but IT?

DeepThroat

Post by DeepThroat » Thu Sep 01, 2005 8:17 pm

amhilde, I had a IT contract which ended (after 3 extensions of 4 months each which helped me to get the 3 year HSMP extension) and have been looking for a opening for a couple of months now.
BTW i am a DBA admin. Maybe my views about Asians/ UK / Jobs is contrived of the fact that I have yet to get my next job. Dont loose heart guys. cheers