ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

how to calculate dividend

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

fahadz1
BANNED

how to calculate dividend

Post by fahadz1 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 12:21 am

i want to know do we have to calculate gross dividend or net dividend ? as part of earning ?

push
United Kingdom

Re: how to calculate dividend

Post by push » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:19 am

fahadz1 wrote:i want to know do we have to calculate gross dividend or net dividend ? as part of earning ?
Gross dividend payable to the shareholder.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:06 pm

I thought its the net dividend which you will be using as the tax on the dividend is already paid by company(ofcourse if you are under you £38k limit)

fahadz1
BANNED

Re: how to calculate dividend

Post by fahadz1 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:17 pm

Thanks for the reply. My accountant give me dividend voucher showing net and gross divedent.

Gross is around 5000 and net is around 4000.

While calculating the earning do i have to add 5000 gross or net 4000 ?

please let me know cause in guidance notes there is nothing described about dividend.

2nd question

my account did only my company accounts. do i need another letter from accountant showing all 12 months accounts summary or not ?

thanks

dahokolomoki
- thin ice -

Post by dahokolomoki » Sat Jun 06, 2009 8:51 pm

I do think the form is asking for your net earnings (as I remember when filling out mine I had put down my gross salary for my job, instead of the net after tax).

Dividends in this country is paid net of 20% tax (i.e. 20% tax is automatically taken from the dividend issued by the company before it is given to you). So you will need to calculate the gross from that.

However, as you mentioned, your accountant has already prepared net and gross for you, so just take the gross amount and stick it in your form, and just ensure all your other earnings stated are gross as well.
[Edit: Advertising removed by Moderator]

manishmittal
BANNED

Post by manishmittal » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:19 pm

dahokolomoki wrote:I do think the form is asking for your net earnings (as I remember when filling out mine I had put down my gross salary for my job, instead of the net after tax).

Dividends in this country is paid net of 20% tax (i.e. 20% tax is automatically taken from the dividend issued by the company before it is given to you). So you will need to calculate the gross from that.

However, as you mentioned, your accountant has already prepared net and gross for you, so just take the gross amount and stick it in your form, and just ensure all your other earnings stated are gross as well.
Wrong: Dividend actually paid is grossed up as below:

Dividend actually paid / 90 x 100

say for example you have withdrawn dividend of £30,000 then the net dividend would be £30,000 and gross dividend would be £30,000/90x100 ie £33,334. When you file a tax return, you will get tax credit of £3,334.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Sun Jun 07, 2009 12:32 am

manishmittal wrote:
dahokolomoki wrote:I do think the form is asking for your net earnings (as I remember when filling out mine I had put down my gross salary for my job, instead of the net after tax).

Wrong: Dividend actually paid is grossed up as below:

say for example you have withdrawn dividend of £30,000 then the net dividend would be £30,000 and gross dividend would be £30,000/90x100 ie £33,334. When you file a tax return, you will get tax credit of £3,334.
If the Dividend voucher shows Gross Dividend why try to re-calculatete using the net amount. Earnings should be shown (computed) as if there was no personal income tax in UK.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

ssoct98@hotmail.com
- thin ice -

Post by ssoct98@hotmail.com » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:58 pm

Only net is considered towards your income,gross is for company not for you even you are owner.
If 9900 is paid in ur bank its meant 11000 is gross,so u considered 9900 towards urincome.
I believe thats the way u calculate ur dividend,what senior say?

ssoct98@hotmail.com
- thin ice -

Post by ssoct98@hotmail.com » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:28 pm

seniors plz put some light is am right as above.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:43 pm

manishmittal wrote:Wrong: Dividend actually paid is grossed up as below:

I totally agree with anything you have posted .... and totally disagree with other interpretations.

The gross income for tax purposes is the amount of the dividend, plus the tax credit of 1/9 of the dividend.

All the above of course assumes that we are talking about a UK company, of course.
John

ssoct98@hotmail.com
- thin ice -

Post by ssoct98@hotmail.com » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:00 pm

John you better explain in easy way,
Question here is that what to claim towards your earnings,
If a person get net dividend of 30,000 pounds and gross would be 33000,and get tax credit for that,but a person who go for extension can claim towards his earning point as 30,000 pounds not 33000 pounds.

Thats a simple understanding,so can you agree or not?

fahadz1
BANNED

Post by fahadz1 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:42 pm

i'm still not sure should i put gross dividend or net dividend as part for my earning claimed ????

should i submit dividend vouchers stamped by accountant one ? or my company one ?

secondly do i need to submit print out of points calculator or not ?

thanks

ssoct98@hotmail.com
- thin ice -

Post by ssoct98@hotmail.com » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:53 pm

Seniors are also not clear,but i believe you consider net towards your earning.Voucher better if signed and stamped by accountant.

fahadz1
BANNED

Post by fahadz1 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:34 pm

my accountant said i have to use gross dividend amount and my company stamp should be on it.

ssoct98@hotmail.com
- thin ice -

Post by ssoct98@hotmail.com » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:36 pm

I am also confused but trying to get in touch with HO,and they also said gross so i believe i m wrong,but better get advice from seniors also.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:41 pm

should i submit dividend vouchers stamped by accountant one ? or my company one ?
Whenever a company declares a dividend it is the responsibility of the Company Secretary to prepare a dividend voucher stating the amount of the dividend paid, and the amount of the Tax Credit attached to that dividend.

(Private companies are no longer required to have a Company Secretary and for a company that no longer has one, it then falls to the Director(s) to ensure that the dividend voucher is prepared and given to each shareholder.)
John

blue.olive

Gross and Net Dividend

Post by blue.olive » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:07 pm

John wrote:
Whenever a company declares a dividend it is the responsibility of the Company Secretary to prepare a dividend voucher stating the amount of the dividend paid, and the amount of the Tax Credit attached to that dividend.

(Private companies are no longer required to have a Company Secretary and for a company that no longer has one, it then falls to the Director(s) to ensure that the dividend voucher is prepared and given to each shareholder.)
Principle for Gross and net dividend is same like as of Salary
in case of salary u got net salary in your account but ur gross salary is before tax in your payslip
similary you receive net dividend in your account and but on dividend voucher its states what is your Gross dividend and your tax deduction.

Regards Olive

republique
BANNED

Post by republique » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:11 pm

You guys made it all too complicated
you declare your gross for the HO
and your accountant gave you the gross amount of the dividend
and that is what you declare.