ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Teir 1 (General) Migrant Extension

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Are Highly Skilled Migrants (HSMP, Teir 1 General especially) really getting skilled jobs in the UK?

Poll ended at Sat Jul 04, 2009 6:32 pm

Yes
50%
No
50%
Not Sure
No votes

Total votes: 4

Jerrohnn
Newly Registered

Teir 1 (General) Migrant Extension

Post by Jerrohnn » Thu Jun 04, 2009 6:32 pm

Hello Guys,

First of all, I thank everyone for your efforts at helping fellow migrants ( and would-be migrants) with valuable information.

I came to the UK three months ago on Teir 1 (General) Migrant visa. Although 3 years seem quite a long way ahead to start looking at extension, I am a bit confused about the information held on the UKBA website relating to extension under the scheme.

Fact is, my visa has the following printed in it:
i. no recourse to public funds
ii. no employment as a doctor in training

Will the second condition (i.e. no employment as a doctor in training) prevent me from making a successful application for extension at the end of my current three-year visa?

NB: I am an Engineer not a medical professional.

Also, it's been very difficult to secure a professional job in the UK. Anyone with some ideas? I hold a degree in Geomatic Engineering and have four years' experience as a Civil Engineering Surveyor and Civil Works Supervisor.

Your pieces of advice and suggestions are welcome.

Thanks

dahokolomoki
- thin ice -

Post by dahokolomoki » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:00 pm

Why would the second condition prevent you from a successful extension application in 3 year's time? As long as you DON'T work as a doctor in training in the UK on your visa, you won't be breaching any rules regarding that clause.

The fact is that not all university degrees are equal and in many parts of the world is it easy to get a masters degree, but whether or not an employer in the UK will value it is another question. Your degree is only as valuable as what a prospective employer thinks of it.

Also in addition some degrees have very little job prospect in the UK. Local doctor graduates have almost 0% unemployment in the UK, whereas some degrees have upwards of 20% of graduates unemployed 6 months after graduation.

As in anywhere else in the world, having a degree does not mean an instant job is available in one's field. If one not good enough to compete against others with the same degree, it is probably time to look for other career options.
[Edit: Advertising removed by Moderator]