ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

NON EU SPOUSE OF IRISH CITIZEN

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

colako
Newly Registered

NON EU SPOUSE OF IRISH CITIZEN

Post by colako » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:18 pm

ok, from reading all the different treads im more confused. I would appreciate facts, anybody who knows 100% what best options are.Im Irish born and bread, my wife is Chilean and non EU. We have been together one year and is now 2 months pregnant with my child.We will marry in 3 months. I would like to know 1) as my wife, what is best way for her to remain in here??? i know she can come for 90 days on tourist visa. what is best course of action to make sure she is allowed to stay with me...Also, if she's here and i want her to get healtcare and have our child in Ireland, is this possible??? can she appear in a public hospital and get care??????? im really confused and the more i read, really worried...any advise appreciated....

sideshowsue

Post by sideshowsue » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:33 pm

I think this webpage off the INIS site should answer most of your immediate questions: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000024

I'm not sure about the second question regarding the provision of health care once she's here. I imagine your local health board would be able to advise you about that.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Jun 05, 2009 12:19 am

colako wrote:Also, if she's here and i want her to get healtcare and have our child in Ireland, is this possible??? can she appear in a public hospital and get care???????
http://www.citizensinformation.ie/categories/health/women-s-health/maternity_and_infant_welfare_services wrote:The Maternity and Infant Care Scheme provides an agreed programme of care to all expectant mothers who are ordinarily resident in Ireland. This service is provided by a family doctor (GP) of your choice and a hospital obstetrician. You are entitled to this service even if you do not have a medical card. Virtually all GPs have agreements with the Health Service Executive (HSE) to provide these services; they do not have to be part of the GPs and medical cards system. The Scheme also provides for two post-natal visits to the general practitioner.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

colako
Newly Registered

Hi

Post by colako » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:36 pm

Thanks Sidshow but i already looked at that site...and many others. I cant find what im looking for.. I appreciate its a complicated subject but there seems to be so many grey areas. From what i know now, i will need pay for the care. Its likley that when she arrives we wont be married. As our relationship is less than 2 year she wont get a visa. My worry now is that if she comes halfway through pregnancy, she will overstay her 90 days. Its tight but she could come at around 32 weeks and have baby and return afterwords.If anybody is wondering, this is planned so she can recover and also show our child to her grandparents...We would then plan to return afterwords. At this stage its hoped that we will be married.

c

Ben
Diamond Member

Re: Hi

Post by Ben » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:42 pm

colako wrote:From what i know now, i will need pay for the care.
Antenatal care is free for everyone in Ireland - regardless of their status (residence or otherwise).

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:57 pm

What I would be concerned about is your partner's entry to Ireland. You're right, she'd have a maximum stay of 90 days, but that really is a maximum. GNIB at the airport will stamp her up to the date of her return ticket, and if her return ticket is dated after 90 days, you're screwed.

The GNIB also want to make sure that she's entering Ireland in accordance with the conditions of her visa (or visa-free entry). That is, is she a genuine visitor who is likely to return home without overstaying. A heavily pregnant woman, entering in order to give birth to her child whose father is an Irish resident, may set alarm bells ringing.

Is it a possibility to marry in Chile, then come to Ireland together as husband and wife, to give birth?

colako
Newly Registered

Post by colako » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:36 am

she doesnt need a visa to enter..Thats not a problem. Im not sure if what you say about maternity care is free for all.Look on the website of the rotunda and it will confirm this (from my understanding).If that was the case half the world would come to have babies! lol
Im sure she will get by the passport control....you can still travel on holidays when pregnant. My concern is that if she overstays will that effect her in future. We wont be married because she is waiting on a divorce that will take 3 months.There is then a minimum waiting period to remarry. They dont stamp the passport when you exit Ireland so they wont know she has overstayed anyway. This would show if we are providing evidence of visits in the future (to support an application for residence)...

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:12 am

Hi,

You may want to contact citizens information centre and ask them in relation to ante natal care. There may be a rule that a person availing of the free ante-natal and no hospital charges must be resident in the State for a certain period of time. I know of some people who were told they had to pay, but that was a few years back.
Remember that some airlines, especially long haul, do not fly pregnant women after a certain number of weeks in pregnancy. E.g Airlingus would not fly anyone over 32 weeks, etc.

agniukas

Post by agniukas » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:20 am

By the way, what if she came here not as a tourist, but as a fiancee to visit her irish future husband. She would get a stamp in her passport for 3 months initially. At the expiry of her permission to remain you could go together to your local immigration officer and ask for an extension of that permission. as she is not a visa required national and you would be supporting her, she may succeed. That would give a few months extra for the baby to get stronger before a long flight out, and she would stay in permission all the time.
Even though the passport in not stamped by irish authorities while leaving, it is stamped by her home country when she enters back.

Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:11 pm

I remember reading a rule that tourist have to pay for hospital as well as consultant, the hospital will cost roughly 1800 a day. If you tried to get healthcare insurace like VHI, you only will be covered when the waiting period is over, this is about 52 weeks if I remember correctly.
However I DID know that some people has received free emergency medical care even though he/she illegally reside in the state.

Since you are the father of this child, it is VERY unlikely you have to pay the bill.

If you opt of private, you may have to pay the bill as usual.

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:32 pm

Colako I think what benifra was saying was that even if your wife is visa free she will still have to pass by passport control! And they can refuse her entry if they think she will not leave the country after 90 days! They will obviously be able to tell she is heavily pregnant and may question her plans for her vacation as soon as she says she is visiting her fiance who is an Irish citizen they will get suspicious! That's my opinion !!!

I think an overstay always efffects future applications! So be careful!

Also I did think that preganant women don't have to pay for ante natal care!! I'm sure most countries it is free (well in Italy it is)! I understand you saying if that was the case many people could come here but why just because you get ante-natal care does not mean you can remain in the country!

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:38 pm

ciaramc wrote:Colako I think what benifra was saying was that even if your wife is visa free she will still have to pass by passport control! And they can refuse her entry if they think she will not leave the country after 90 days! They will obviously be able to tell she is heavily pregnant and may question her plans for her vacation as soon as she says she is visiting her fiance who is an Irish citizen they will get suspicious! That's my opinion !!!

I think an overstay always efffects future applications! So be careful!

Also I did think that preganant women don't have to pay for ante natal care!! I'm sure most countries it is free (well in Italy it is)! I understand you saying if that was the case many people could come here but why just because you get ante-natal care does not mean you can remain in the country!
Bingo!

colako
Newly Registered

Post by colako » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:42 pm

I know in Italy its free, also it's illegal to deport a pregnant woman...good old Italians...some woman are not that "heavy" at 5 months, so i'll have to make a call on that one! Obviously, i dont fancy taking a risk of her being refused entry...Not playing football with my fiance and child...Thanks for the advise.

colako
Newly Registered

Post by colako » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:37 pm

Darkhorse, you're correct on the waiting period, min of 52 weeks. The fees are way to high..its around 800 per night (expensive hotel!) Plus all the extra's...I would say a min 5,000 will cover it. I really do question who pays its...I know they dont charge in cases of hardship......I just wonder what criteria they use...I know you need pay a 1000 deposit on your first anti natal class.....After that i dont know how they work it...
Im in touch with the immigrant council to see what they say. I think im looking down the road of just bringing her here, having the baby and then taking my chances...Ill take them to the highest court in the land if they force me to separate a child from her mother...I just cant see them be allowed to deport somebody...The fact that im Irish must give it soe sway...even if its not officialy recignised..Thanks anyway for you input..

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Wed Jun 10, 2009 1:07 am

colako,

Worry more about getting her past Immigration in the airport. This should be your area of focus.

Once in Ireland, obtaining a PPS number for your fiancée and her receiving free antenatal care is a doddle.

Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse » Thu Jun 11, 2009 9:57 am

benifa wrote:colako,

Worry more about getting her past Immigration in the airport. This should be your area of focus.

Once in Ireland, obtaining a PPS number for your fiancée and her receiving free antenatal care is a doddle.
correct, and if you plan to bring her in, Make sure you tell them it is for family re-unification. Don't mention that she is here just for holiday, because it would be lying and causes you more trouble in future.