ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR Success - Croydon PEO

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

marlasinger
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

ILR Success - Croydon PEO

Post by marlasinger » Tue Jun 09, 2009 4:07 pm

Hi all,

I don't post here often, but have found it a valuable resource as the date of my ILR (and previous FLR) got closer and closer.

I was granted ILR (SET-M) yesterday, after my in-person application at Croydon yesterday.

Firstly, when I rang to make my appointment, the recorded message told me that no appointments were available at any PEO for June. However, I stayed on the line, and was given the choice of 3 appointments, so it pays to wait to speak to a person.

We got there at about 8.50am (appointment was at 9.30am), and joined the queue of people already waiting.

First we went through the security checkpoint, which is similar to an airport.

After that, we queued again waiting to go through the first series of checks. The person looked at our passport, checked our documents to make sure we had them all (asked if we had anything in joint names; we told him no, aside from some receipts from internet purchases, which I hadn't provided, though I had them with me), and then stamped the application as valid, and sent us upstairs to make payment.

Once payment was taken, we were then told to wait in another large room where our 'interview' would take place. We only had to wait for about 5 minutes before our number was called.

Our caseworker was very nice and friendly, which helped ease our nerves. First she took our application form and passports, and then typed a few things on her computer. She then asked for all our supporting documentation, which I handed over. We had brought all our bank statements for the past 2 years, plus 33 documents showing our address. We had no documents in joint names, so I was very worried, but it wasn't even an issue. She simply went through the forms, separated them into the ones she was going to use, checked them off on her list, and gave us back the rest. We had also prepared a letter stating we were living with my mother-in-law, and another letter explaining why we didn't have anything in joint names, but that wasn't even looked at.

I only had to show the last 3 months of bank statements. The documents I handed over to prove cohabitation only were from Sept07 to June09 (though we had bank statements from June07, in case), and she didn't ask for anything dated June07. She then took some photocopies, and told us to take a seat while she did one more check (I didn't ask what that was). After about 20 minutes, she called our number, and told us our application had gone through and my passport would be ready for collection in 1 hour.

We took a seat (went upstairs for refreshments at the little coffee shop - friendly hint: avoid the BLT sandwich, it's vile!), and after about 30 minutes my passport was ready. By then it was about 11.30am, so the whole process took about 2.5 hours.

For us, it was quite painless and easy....thank goodness, as I was sick with worry previously.

Best of luck to all those undergoing the same process, and I hope you will all be successful.

marlasinger

benjy
Newly Registered

Re: ILR Success - Croydon PEO

Post by benjy » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:09 pm

marlasinger wrote:Hi all,

I don't post here often, but have found it a valuable resource as the date of my ILR (and previous FLR) got closer and closer.

I was granted ILR (SET-M) yesterday, after my in-person application at Croydon yesterday.

Firstly, when I rang to make my appointment, the recorded message told me that no appointments were available at any PEO for June. However, I stayed on the line, and was given the choice of 3 appointments, so it pays to wait to speak to a person.

We got there at about 8.50am (appointment was at 9.30am), and joined the queue of people already waiting.

First we went through the security checkpoint, which is similar to an airport.

After that, we queued again waiting to go through the first series of checks. The person looked at our passport, checked our documents to make sure we had them all (asked if we had anything in joint names; we told him no, aside from some receipts from internet purchases, which I hadn't provided, though I had them with me), and then stamped the application as valid, and sent us upstairs to make payment.

Once payment was taken, we were then told to wait in another large room where our 'interview' would take place. We only had to wait for about 5 minutes before our number was called.

Our caseworker was very nice and friendly, which helped ease our nerves. First she took our application form and passports, and then typed a few things on her computer. She then asked for all our supporting documentation, which I handed over. We had brought all our bank statements for the past 2 years, plus 33 documents showing our address. We had no documents in joint names, so I was very worried, but it wasn't even an issue. She simply went through the forms, separated them into the ones she was going to use, checked them off on her list, and gave us back the rest. We had also prepared a letter stating we were living with my mother-in-law, and another letter explaining why we didn't have anything in joint names, but that wasn't even looked at.

I only had to show the last 3 months of bank statements. The documents I handed over to prove cohabitation only were from Sept07 to June09 (though we had bank statements from June07, in case), and she didn't ask for anything dated June07. She then took some photocopies, and told us to take a seat while she did one more check (I didn't ask what that was). After about 20 minutes, she called our number, and told us our application had gone through and my passport would be ready for collection in 1 hour.

We took a seat (went upstairs for refreshments at the little coffee shop - friendly hint: avoid the BLT sandwich, it's vile!), and after about 30 minutes my passport was ready. By then it was about 11.30am, so the whole process took about 2.5 hours.

For us, it was quite painless and easy....thank goodness, as I was sick with worry previously.

Best of luck to all those undergoing the same process, and I hope you will all be successful.

marlasinger
My wife has to go to Croydon for her ILR This week and i am a bag of nerves. But after reading your post i have relaxed a little bit. I have heard so much negitive stuff towards Croydon.
Well done to you both.

paulmu

Post by paulmu » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:09 pm

Hi marlasinger,

Congratulations on your success with your ILR.

You didn't mention anything about the number of days you were out of the UK. Did you have any issues with that? And what evidence (if any) did you bring to support your case?
PM

newperson

Post by newperson » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:27 pm

paulmu wrote:Hi marlasinger,

You didn't mention anything about the number of days you were out of the UK. Did you have any issues with that? And what evidence (if any) did you bring to support your case?
For SET(M) applications, there is no maximum time that the applicant can be out of the country. She has to list her absences, but that's not a factor in her getting ILR. She mostly has to prove to the caseworker's satisfaction that her relationship with her partner is real and continuing.

The absences that you're thinking about are only important for employment/long residence applications for settlement, not the family route. Different kettle of fish altogether.

justice_will_reign
Member of Standing

Re: ILR Success - Croydon PEO

Post by justice_will_reign » Tue Jun 09, 2009 8:56 pm

marlasinger wrote:Firstly, when I rang to make my appointment, the recorded message told me that no appointments were available at any PEO for June. However, I stayed on the line, and was given the choice of 3 appointments, so it pays to wait to speak to a person.
so when did you get the appointment booked and on how many attempts were you able to get through to someone on the phone? I am aware that phone appointment is 6 weeks in advance?

marlasinger
Newly Registered
Mood:
Australia

Post by marlasinger » Wed Jun 10, 2009 6:22 pm

I had no issue with the number of days I was out of the UK. The caseworker didn't mention it, and it wasn't on the application form, so I didn't give it any thought.

I rang to book the appointment on 2nd June (it took me about 20 tries to get through - I ended up getting through at about 10.30am), and was told the only available appointments in June was 3rd June, and 8th June.

marlasinger

samkma
Member of Standing
United Kingdom

Post by samkma » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:47 am

Hi marlasinger,

“Impossible is just an opinion.”
.......Paulo Coelho