ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Referee for Naturalization for a child born in UK

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

ZeroCool
Newly Registered

Referee for Naturalization for a child born in UK

Post by ZeroCool » Mon Jun 08, 2009 8:26 pm

Hi,

I have a daughter born in UK in April 2008 and we got our ILR in July 08. I know since the time when she got ILR she was eligible for British Citizenship, but I wanted to apply for her citizenship along with mine and therewaited till now.

When filling up the MN1 form for my daughter the referee section says

Code: Select all

Each referee should know the child personally. One referee should be a professional who
has engaged with the child in a professional capacity, such as a doctor, teacher, health visitor,
social worker or minister of religion. The other referee must be the holder of a British citizen passport and either a
professional person or over the age of 25.
I have contacted my GP to sign as a referee and he refused to sign as he said he knows only as a patient.

Health visitor came to my house in first two weeks when my daughter was born and since then we don't have any contact with the health visitor so there is no way to get a referee in above.

Any ideas if there is some one else who can act as a referee. I'm getting mine is done by my friend who is currently managing director of a company.

Thanks & Regards,
Irfan

vinny

Post by vinny » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:24 am

Ask doctor again, as knowing her in a professional capacity, is acceptable.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

ZeroCool
Newly Registered

Post by ZeroCool » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:11 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply Vinny.

My GP also told me that he used to do in past but has stopped doing it. So its very unlikely that he will sign as a referee.

Any idea if I get it signed by the same person who is signing mine, will that work?

Thanks & Regards,
Irfan

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Tue Jun 09, 2009 1:17 pm

ZeroCool wrote:Hi,

My GP also told me that he used to do in past but has stopped doing it. So its very unlikely that he will sign as a referee.

Any idea if I get it signed by the same person who is signing mine, will that work?
You probably want to find a different doctor ... unclear why so many have such a bad attitude.

For what it's worth, referees are not even necessary for child entitlement registration.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Tue Jun 09, 2009 6:22 pm

JAJ wrote:
ZeroCool wrote:Hi,

You probably want to find a different doctor ... unclear why so many have such a bad attitude.

For what it's worth, referees are not even necessary for child entitlement registration.
I can understand why doctors often won't act as a referee for an adult applicant as they should know the applicant personally not just professionally. Maybe the doctor in question doesn't realise that for a child they only need to know them professionally.

1963British

Post by 1963British » Thu Jun 11, 2009 11:02 pm

The referee requirement is part of the Good Character Requirement.

The Good Character Requirement only applies to those over the age of 10.

You will find that if you download, I believe Chapter 9, of the policy guidance.

You need to do one of the following;

1.) Draw a line through that page and write "Child is under age 10, does not apply."

2.) Do step 1 but attach the page out of Chapter 9.

3.) Send an e mail requesting guidance. They WILL reply back that it is not needed because the child is under 10 and you can attach it to the application.

Cheers!!

tech
Member of Standing

Post by tech » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:41 pm

But there are two issues with this approach.
If you decide to use NCS, they won't process your application with out filling the referee section.
From April 2008, it is required regardless of the child age. where previously it was not as far as NCS is concerned.

The email response works only if you send your application on your own which requires to send your orignial docs.

Hope this helps

1963British

Post by 1963British » Fri Jun 12, 2009 12:52 pm

tech wrote:But there are two issues with this approach.
If you decide to use NCS, they won't process your application with out filling the referee section.
From April 2008, it is required regardless of the child age. where previously it was not as far as NCS is concerned.

The email response works only if you send your application on your own which requires to send your orignial docs.

Hope this helps
I wholeheartedly agree with what you are saying concerning NCS. They do work on the round peg round hole philosophy.

However, instead of sending in original documents, the documents could be certified by a solicitor.

But let me add, every single page of a passport include the cover page and back page of the passport book that has nothing on it, need to be certified.

f2k
Diamond Member

Post by f2k » Fri Jun 12, 2009 2:26 pm

1963British wrote:The referee requirement is part of the Good Character Requirement.

The Good Character Requirement only applies to those over the age of 10.

You will find that if you download, I believe Chapter 9, of the policy guidance.

3.) Send an e mail requesting guidance. They WILL reply back that it is not needed because the child is under 10 and you can attach it to the application.

Cheers!!
Chapter 8.3.4

tech
Member of Standing

Post by tech » Fri Jun 12, 2009 11:24 pm

I have already seen this guidance before. As I said before,This guidance is applicable for previous version of the MN1 application form.
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/siteco ... chapter08/
as it says "Last Updated: 21 December 2007 ".

The new version of MN1 form is Apr 2008.

If you call the liverpool call centre, they would advise you to disregard the section over the phone but confirmation email takes time.

Solictor certification is very expensive . I have seen quotes from £3 per page £10 per page. ( empty pages as well).

But as pointed out, the application won't be denied because of this if the child is less than 10 years old but it may get delayed .

NCS checked applications success rate is 98% according to this link
http://www.bia.homeoffice.gov.uk/britis ... e/#header1

where as the average is 90%.