ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Citizenship timeline tracker.

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

jhbmike

Post by jhbmike » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:18 pm

benifa wrote:
frustrated13 wrote:Same for me - Irish mother, father, grandfather and great grandfather and it's 3 years so far!!
Have I missed something - if your parents are Irish citizens, why do you need to apply for naturalisation?
My mother wasnt Irish at the time of my birth. She only got her Irish passport when she was 35 cos her grandfather was Irish. So it doesnt pass automatically to me

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Fri Jun 05, 2009 3:21 pm

jhbmike wrote:
benifa wrote:
frustrated13 wrote:Same for me - Irish mother, father, grandfather and great grandfather and it's 3 years so far!!
Have I missed something - if your parents are Irish citizens, why do you need to apply for naturalisation?
My mother wasnt Irish at the time of my birth. She only got her Irish passport when she was 35 cos her grandfather was Irish. So it doesnt pass automatically to me
Got it.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

HOTSPURS

Post by HOTSPURS » Sat Jun 06, 2009 9:13 am

frustrated13 wrote:
jhbmike wrote:It seems that Irish connections doesnt fast track youre application. I have Irish connections ( Irish Mother and Irish great grandfather) and ive been waiting 2 and a half years now.
Same for me - Irish mother, father, grandfather and great grandfather and it's 3 years so far!!
mmm..The only thing that matters for faster processing is having an Irish spouse then, it's bolloxx for the rest of us..

TRV

Post by TRV » Sat Jun 06, 2009 2:41 pm

hello folks,
i have received my approval letter but have a question. i am going to court next week for declaration in front of the judge and will be sending all doc for naturalisation certificate immediately after that, which I hope will be issued in 4-6 weeks. Now I plan to travel to India in 6 weeks time, so will my indian passport cancelled automatically when i get the naturalisation certificate and will I be stranded in India with an invalid indian cancelled passport?

or is my best bet would be apply for naturalisation certificate after I come back from India?

Thanks

LuasPassenger

Post by LuasPassenger » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:20 pm

TRV wrote:hello folks,
i have received my approval letter but have a question. i am going to court next week for declaration in front of the judge and will be sending all doc for naturalisation certificate immediately after that, which I hope will be issued in 4-6 weeks. Now I plan to travel to India in 6 weeks time, so will my indian passport cancelled automatically when i get the naturalisation certificate and will I be stranded in India with an invalid indian cancelled passport?

or is my best bet would be apply for naturalisation certificate after I come back from India?

Thanks
If I were you, I would apply for the certificate after the trip.

IwannaBePaddy
Newly Registered

re

Post by IwannaBePaddy » Sat Jun 06, 2009 10:27 pm

do u mean your irish visa would be cancelled? I can't understand why u say that your indian passport would be cancelled

IrelandHopeful

Post by IrelandHopeful » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:46 am

LuasPassenger wrote:
TRV wrote:hello folks,

Thanks
If I were you, I would apply for the certificate after the trip.
Your passport can't be cancelled and you are entitled to dual citizenship.
You won't have any problem if your stamps and re-entry visa on your passport are still valid.
At the point of re-entry, just explain yourself and show the minister's approval letter.

TRV

Post by TRV » Sun Jun 07, 2009 9:13 am

folks, thanks for your reply, but -

India do not allow dual citizenship although Ireland does - so when I get my naturalisation cert, my indian passport and indeed my ireland visa on that passport may get cancelled, although i have my indian passport in hand. that is why i asked the question. Besides, I have to surrender my GNIB card when applying for naturalisation certificate.

Nehro
Ireland

Post by Nehro » Sun Jun 07, 2009 1:16 pm

TRV wrote:folks, thanks for your reply, but -

India do not allow dual citizenship although Ireland does - so when I get my naturalisation cert, my indian passport and indeed my ireland visa on that passport may get cancelled, although i have my indian passport in hand. that is why i asked the question. Besides, I have to surrender my GNIB card when applying for naturalisation certificate.
Hi TRV
Can I just ask you a question: How will indian authorities know of your current situation? i.e. you have been approved for Irish citizenship. I assume if you don't tell anybody, nobody will know. This may be true for the short term at least. On the long term, you also can keep it secret from your country's authorities by obtaining stamp 6 in your Indian passport so you can convince them of your Irish residency status in Indian ports of entry in the future.

TRV

Post by TRV » Sun Jun 07, 2009 6:35 pm

how do indian authorities know?

They may or may not know, I am not sure is there an automatic system in place - that is why I wanted to be sure before travel rather than get in to trouble during travel.

IwannaBePaddy
Newly Registered

referrals

Post by IwannaBePaddy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:03 am

somebody knows what the referrals in the naturalisation app is for? my app is with the minister now and as far as I know nobody has contacted them asking for anything with regards to my application

IwannaBePaddy
Newly Registered

Post by IwannaBePaddy » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:05 am

so the fact that india does not allow dual citizenship means that you will not longer be indian and you will go back as irish all the time?

[quote="TRV"]how do indian authorities know?

They may or may not know, I am not sure is there an automatic system in place - that is why I wanted to be sure before travel rather than get in to trouble during travel.[/quote]

HOTSPURS

Post by HOTSPURS » Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:16 am

TRV wrote:folks, thanks for your reply, but -

You could get a OCI card (Overseas citizen of India) & travel to India on your Irish passport or travel on Indian passport, come back & then apply for your Naturalization cert & irish passport.

aditya1111
Newly Registered

Post by aditya1111 » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:10 am

BUT who told u that India does not allow dual citizenship both Ireland and India allow dual citizenship, and ur passport acnt be cancelled like that untill u inform them, you should try to gather more information, i dont think u r right. Manmohan Singh passed this law regarding dual citizenship

ashimashi

Post by ashimashi » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:28 pm

gentlmen (and ladies), would you mind starting the discussion on India's citizenship laws in another thread and keep this thread on topic? thanks.

TRV

Post by TRV » Mon Jun 08, 2009 12:44 pm

don't want to take this forum topic away, but briefly, india parliment approved dual citizenship but the law is not written and implemented yet.

Nehro
Ireland

Post by Nehro » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:33 pm

Hi folks
I have received my naturalisation certificate today. It took 6 weeks to be issued and to arrive to me by registered post. All print is in Irish. All the best of luck to everybody waiting for his approval and certificate.

LuasPassenger

Post by LuasPassenger » Mon Jun 08, 2009 11:45 pm

Nehro wrote:Hi folks
I have received my naturalisation certificate today. It took 6 weeks to be issued and to arrive to me by registered post. All print is in Irish. All the best of luck to everybody waiting for his approval and certificate.
Congratulations Nehro!

Did you know you can write to INIS and request a copy in English? :)

Nehro
Ireland

Post by Nehro » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:47 am

LuasPassenger wrote:
Nehro wrote:Hi folks
Congratulations Nehro!

Did you know you can write to INIS and request a copy in English? :)
Many Thanks LuasPassenger.. Yes I read before in this forum that one can ask for an English version, but I think I will just be happy with the Irish version (enough is enough !!). Hope everything is OK with your application. Have you had your oath yet?

EBS

Post by EBS » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:11 pm

How come it took you so long for cert to be received?
Last edited by EBS on Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

EBS

Post by EBS » Tue Jun 09, 2009 7:12 pm

Nehro wrote:Hi All
Nehro
Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:07 pm Post subject:

Hi All
Got my approval letter today. Very delighted. Wish all of you the best of luck in your applications.
Nehro
When did your apply?

Nehro
Ireland

Post by Nehro » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:13 pm

EBS wrote:
Nehro wrote:Hi All
Nehro
Posted: Wed Apr 08, 2009 2:07 pm Post subject:

Hi All
Got my approval letter today. Very delighted. Wish all of you the best of luck in your applications.
Nehro
When did your apply?
Hi EBS
I applied in June 2007, and received approval on 8/4/09. Had the court oath on 22/04/09, and received my Naturalisation Cert on 8/6/09. I haven't applied for a passport yet.

LuasPassenger

Post by LuasPassenger » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:43 pm

Nehro wrote:Hope everything is OK with your application. Have you had your oath yet?
Not yet. Actually, I'll have to wait till September to do my oath as they didn't have availability in Dolphin house until then. :(

I also tried Dun Laoghaire court (as I'm a resident of the area) and they had a slot in July. However, I'll be away on that day and they wouldn't have another slot available until the end of September.

The courts close during August and I'll be away for a big proportion of July, so the date in September is not too bad an option for me.

9jeirean

Post by 9jeirean » Wed Jun 10, 2009 4:28 pm

[/quote]
Hi EBS
I applied in June 2007, and received approval on 8/4/09. Had the court oath on 22/04/09, and received my Naturalisation Cert on 8/6/09. I haven't applied for a passport yet.[/quote]

Nhero,

Looks like you are one of the lucky few who get cleared within the 23 months time frame. I am new to the forum but from all I have read so far many people here are still waiting on application submitted in Mid 2006.

I also submitted around the same time frame as you (July 07). Additional info requested and submitted in January. Got through to INIS last week (after weeks of frustrations trying to get through) and the lady on the phone said it could be up to the end of the year before I hear any news. So it's back to counting the sheep for me. And yes lest I forget I must also stay away from the social welfare office :D

Nehro
Ireland

Post by Nehro » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:48 pm

Hi 9jeirean
This is frustrating but I don't trust the accuracy of her reply to you... you can send a registered letter to INIS officially requesting the status of your application - They will be obliged to respond to you at least with more accurate info. Hope you will hear better news by then.

LuasPassenger
I think your plan is the best option for you due to your holidays and court closure.. Enjoy your holiday and all the best of luck
Last edited by Nehro on Thu Jun 11, 2009 2:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.