ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Need guidance for applying as dependent of Post Study Worker

Archived UK Tier 1 (Post-Study Work) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Medha Khanna
Newly Registered

Need guidance for applying as dependent of Post Study Worker

Post by Medha Khanna » Sun Jun 14, 2009 11:15 pm

I am a post graduate student at The School Of Pharmacy, University of London. I have been granted the Commonwealth Shared Scholarship for the year 2008-09 and would be graduating on 1st October’2009. I am expected to go back to my home country on the completion of my course but I can come back to London as my visa is still Jan'2010. I cannot apply for Post Study visa.

However, my unmarried partner is a Post Study worker in the United Kingdom. We have been committed for the last three and a half years and have been living together in London ever since I landed here. He has the clearance to work in the UK till December 2010 and intends to do so. Due to our emotional interdependence, I would like to come back to London and stay with him as long as he is working here.

In this case, can I apply for a visa as his dependent? Should I be applying for the visa while I am in UK because in India the concept of unmarried partners and live-in relationships are not very acceptable.

What all documents do I need for the visa application?

ammeck09

Re: Need guidance for applying as dependent of Post Study Wo

Post by ammeck09 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:25 pm

Medha Khanna wrote:I am a post graduate student at The School Of Pharmacy, University of London. I have been granted the Commonwealth Shared Scholarship for the year 2008-09 and would be graduating on 1st October’2009. I am expected to go back to my home country on the completion of my course but I can come back to London as my visa is still Jan'2010. I cannot apply for Post Study visa.

However, my unmarried partner is a Post Study worker in the United Kingdom. We have been committed for the last three and a half years and have been living together in London ever since I landed here. He has the clearance to work in the UK till December 2010 and intends to do so. Due to our emotional interdependence, I would like to come back to London and stay with him as long as he is working here.

In this case, can I apply for a visa as his dependent? Should I be applying for the visa while I am in UK because in India the concept of unmarried partners and live-in relationships are not very acceptable.

What all documents do I need for the visa application?
Your case is dicey. First of all, you cannot apply for PSW due to the international scholarship awarded to you. Secondly, you could have applied as a dependant owing to your partner being on the PSW. But you will need to prove that you are actually married (i.e., documental prove, e.g. communication between the two of you - emails, letters, postcards; marriage certificates; photos from performing marriage rites, wedding, and other social gatherings). If you can prove this, it's then that you can substantiate that whilst you are in the UK both of you were living together. The mere fact that you live together does not constitute 'marriage'.

Medha Khanna
Newly Registered

Post by Medha Khanna » Mon Jun 15, 2009 4:31 pm

I agree but according to UK immigration laws even unmarried partners are allowed as dependants. Isnt it?

ammeck09

Post by ammeck09 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:10 pm

Medha Khanna wrote:I agree but according to UK immigration laws even unmarried partners are allowed as dependants. Isnt it?
Yeah, I understand you. But you know when it comes to immigration issues (issues involving visas), expect to find some strange interpretations.

Medha Khanna
Newly Registered

Post by Medha Khanna » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:34 pm

Would I need a no objection letter from the scholarship commission as well before applying for the visa?

ammeck09

Post by ammeck09 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 5:59 pm

Medha Khanna wrote:Would I need a no objection letter from the scholarship commission as well before applying for the visa?
Check the PSW visa guidelines. They have explain this in detailed over there. I don't know whether a statement of no objection from the scholarship secretariat/commission will enhance your chances.

I think you should be more concern about the 'partner' issue. Check the HO website to find out who qualifies as a 'partner'.

keikeichris

PSW Dependant

Post by keikeichris » Tue Jul 07, 2009 4:25 pm

Medha Khanna wrote:I agree but according to UK immigration laws even unmarried partners are allowed as dependants. Isnt it?
Hi there

I am Chris and I am holding a PSW until 2011. And my partner who is holding a student VISA (UK)and will finish in OCT are thinking of staying here for longer, I wonder if she can apply PSW as my Dependent in the UK, before her student VISA runs out?

But the thing is we are not married yet, do you think this is impossible? and what kind of docs would I need? Thank you everyone

Chris