ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Outrageous denial

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

aakpome
Newly Registered

Outrageous denial

Post by aakpome » Mon Sep 05, 2005 6:18 pm

I have been denied a student visa by the British High Commission in Abuja, Nigeria. The decision reads:

"I am not satisfied that the letters from [the bible school], presented in support of your visa application, are genuine. These letters contain grammar and spelling errors and it is not credible that a representative from a bona fide educational establishment would provide a genuine student with such a document.
I am not satisfied that you have been accepted for a current course of study at a bona fide private education institution which maintains satisfactory records of enrolment and attendance.
I am therefore not satisfied that you are genuinely seeking entry for the purpose and for the period as stated by you. I therefore refuse your application."

Note that I wasn't invited for any interview. As you can see, my visa application was refused for that SOLE reason and the said letters witheld when my passport and other supporting documents were returned. There was no indication that the school was contacted because if they were, they couldn't have denied. I don't see how such errors can lead one to conclude that the letters were not genuine or cast aspersion on the exixtence of the school when a simple check could have done that.

This has grave negative implications for me especially as my international passport now has a stamp of refusal on the grounds of purported forgery. This is aside the fact the whole application process has cost quite some time and money and has involved major reorganisations of my family, ministry and work - I have already secured two years study leave and have handed over. To say I am upset is an understatement.

Pls note that the school is ready to accept me anytime I get my visa. The principal of the college has apologised for the errors on the letters and has promised to contact the British High Commission in Abuja.

I have previously been made to understand that it is possible for such denials to be reversed when the grounds of protest are so clear and compelling, thus saving the applicant the time and cost consuming process of an appeal or a fresh application.

Kindly advice ASAP.
AA

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Mon Sep 05, 2005 7:48 pm

Hi, that is disappointing news.

I suspect that the easiest way of proceeding is to get the college to fax the Visa Section and confirm that the offer of a place is genuine. When you know that fax has been sent then contact the Visa Section and ask for the Manager to review the decision of the ECO. Hopefully that will lead to the decision being reversed .... without you having to submit a fresh application .... and without causing too much delay.
John

yodiyokun
Member of Standing

Post by yodiyokun » Tue Sep 06, 2005 10:45 am

hi,
sorry about the refusal.. but it seems the high commission both in abuja and lagos have recently taken to refusing student visas.. and they want to reduce giving interviews. rather they refuse or grant the visa outright.

Well my experience is similar to yours,
i was refused a student visa because they alleged my sponsors statement was forged, for me that was the height of it. They retained the bank statement in question.
You know what i did - I just reapplied.. i wasnt interested in appealing.
I got a letter from the bank-- which was not written nicely... since they were not happy they jumped into conclusions without checking up with them and they gave me another copy of the bank statements.
I submitted it and i got it back after 5 weeks...(they said they were making enquiries....)
I was given and my son was given a dependant visa for 1 year.

I was lucky cos i applied in june at first so the whole process took 2 months.
Unfortunately, Im no longer using the visa cos i have applied for hsmp visa now, but I wanted to clear up the forgery thing cos I dint want it to affect my hsmp visa processing.

I think you should take Johns advise and let the school fax the visa section quoting your visa application reference no. then you call them
or write to the manager.
Lets see what happens.... but i know they hardly reverse their decision... at least in naija.
They may just tell you to reapply.

This is an advise for other applicants...never resign or apply for study leave be4 you have your visa in hand... these people are always full of suprises.

All the best
My bow has been renewed

aakpome
Newly Registered

Post by aakpome » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:26 am

My college's principal has sent an email to the visa section at abuja to say that the letters are genuine and that I am genuinely enrolled. She equally appealled for the errors. A copy of this mail was forwarded to me. The principal decided to communicate them personally and I guess she couldn't send a fax since she's away at a conference in Spain.

Is her email sufficient for me to contact the Entry Clearance Manager at Abuja? If it isn't what more should be added and how can I get a representation to the Manager? Will I be able to see him in person?

Thanx for your quick replies. (That includes you, John of course.)

aakpome
Newly Registered

Outrageous denial

Post by aakpome » Thu Sep 08, 2005 9:49 am

My college's principal sent an email to the visa section at Abuja to the effect that the letters are genuine and that I am genuinely enrolled. She also appologised for the errors on the original letters. A copy of this mail was forwarded to me. [I guess she was unable to send a fax b/c at this material time she's away on a conference at Spain.]

Is this email sufficient for me to present to the High Commission? If not, what else may I need to add? How may I contact the Entry Clearance Manager? Can I see him face to face?

Thanx for your quick response (of course, that includes you John!).

AA

Kayalami
Diamond Member

Post by Kayalami » Thu Sep 08, 2005 10:47 am

I would need to see the e-mail to comment conclusively on it. Best to contact the visa office to verify their receipt and review of the e-mail. Out of interest is there a reason that someone else in a position of authority at the school is unable to send the relevant fax? This retains preference over e-mail by having a letterhead and signature.