ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

point,Licensing System on Tier 2 is against Free & fair

Only for the UK Skilled Worker visas, formerly known as Tier 2 visa route

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Reyaz
Newly Registered

point,Licensing System on Tier 2 is against Free & fair

Post by Reyaz » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:20 pm

The New Point Based system with licensing requirement has not done justice on current worker on work permit . The Current employer are exploiting most of the work permit employee with regards to there remuneration & work hours because they know under present circumstances these employee would not go since its become impossible to change jobs under new licensing system . we are now with our family & are scared that our jobs may bbe taken away & it would be difficult for us to find new jobs & hence i am exposed to working atleast 70 hours a week wheras my contract is only for 40 hours. i am on work permit from last 3.8 years & my salary has not been reviewed from last 3 years . also in 2005 people who were granted work permit was on the basis of 4 year for ILR & not 5 . Is anybody there to help me & my family to get out of these dilemma ??

I need to get out of work permit & get my ILR or atleast my freedom to work where i would like to work .

meats
BANNED

Re: point,Licensing System on Tier 2 is against Free & f

Post by meats » Mon Jun 08, 2009 9:35 pm

Reyaz wrote:The New Point Based system with licensing requirement has not done justice on current worker on work permit . The Current employer are exploiting most of the work permit employee with regards to there remuneration & work hours because they know under present circumstances these employee would not go since its become impossible to change jobs under new licensing system . we are now with our family & are scared that our jobs may bbe taken away & it would be difficult for us to find new jobs & hence i am exposed to working atleast 70 hours a week wheras my contract is only for 40 hours. i am on work permit from last 3.8 years & my salary has not been reviewed from last 3 years . also in 2005 people who were granted work permit was on the basis of 4 year for ILR & not 5 . Is anybody there to help me & my family to get out of these dilemma ??

I need to get out of work permit & get my ILR or atleast my freedom to work where i would like to work .
If your contract says 40 hours then you do not have to do anymore than that if you do not wish. If you are so concerned by it then go to your local CAB and see what they say.

Your salary review is completely up to the company. If they don't want to/can't afford to give you a pay rise then that is up to them unless it is written into your contract that you are to get an x% increase in your wages annually.

I am assuming that you are working for an actual company who employed you as opposed to you paying an agent abroad to get you a visa for the UK. If you did the latter then you are a lot more shafted than with the former.

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Don't suffer in silence

Post by PaperPusher » Tue Jun 09, 2009 12:12 am

Hello

There is advice out there:

Citizens Advice

Direct Gov - Working Hours
You should not have to work more than 48 hours a week on average, unless you choose to, or work in a sector with its own special rules. Your normal working hours should be set out in your contract of employment or written statement of employment particulars
If you are 18 or over and wish to work more than 48 hours a week, you can choose to opt out of the 48 hour limit. This must be voluntary and in writing. It can't be an agreement with the whole workforce and you shouldn't be sacked or unfairly treated (for example refused promotion or overtime) for refusing to sign an opt-out.

If you sign an opt-out, you have the right to cancel this agreement at any time by giving between one week and three months' notice. You can agree this notice period with your employer when you sign the opt-out. If no notice period is agreed then you only need to give one week’s notice of cancellation. You can cancel an opt-out even if it's part of a contract you have signed.
Direct Gov helpline
Contact point
Pay and Work Rights helpline
Phone number 0800 917 2368
If your hours have gone up that much, are you still getting the national minimum wage?

There are transitional arrangements for current work permit holders, but if you go to a new employer they still have to be licenced. You will automatically score points and not have to show certain things because you are on the old scheme. That said there are a lot of employers that have the licence. I have just done a quick estimate, and there are 11,000 on the list, and some of these are big employers:

PBS Register of Sponsors - Employers

See here about the transitional arrangements for Work Permits to Tier 2:

Transitional arrangements main page
Arrangement A

About not getting a pay rise, your employer is supposed to pay you the going rate for the job, so if the going rate goes up, really your pay should be going up too. However, in this economic climate it would be hard to change jobs as a work permit holder whether the scheme had closed or not in my opinion.

What is your role and what are you paid? No need to mention the name of your employer.

As an aside, you can report the employer. Whether you would want to do that before or after you leave is up to you:
Allegations of abuse of the work permit arrangements
202. An employer who uses deception to obtain a letter of approval may be committing a criminal offence. The UK Border Agency’s Intelligence Unit in Sheffield deal with information in respect of abuse of the work permit arrangements, carry out investigations and, if appropriate, inform the relevant authorities of its findings.
205. If you have information about abuse of the work permit arrangements, you can contact the Intelligence Unit at:
UK Border Agency
Intelligence Unit
PO Box 3468
Sheffield
S3 8WA
Tel: 0114 279 3480
Fax: 0114 279 3482
E-mail: workabuse@homeoffice.gsi.go.uk
old Work Permit arrangements guidance

You also mentioned about the change from 4 years to 5 years until you are eligible for ILR. There is a discussion thread on this forum about that here

The 4 to 5 year thing has already been challenged in court, and they lost the case in 2007. There has been talk in the thread above about doing a Judicial Review. Considering the last one was unsuccessful, I do not hold out much hope for one winning, but you never know.

Ooi & Ors, R (on the application of) v Secretary of State for the Home Department [2007] EWHC 3221 (Admin) (18 December 2007)

Please also see if you score enough points to get Tier 1.

Regards
PP

Vanadil

Post by Vanadil » Tue Jun 09, 2009 9:17 am

If you haven't signed or agreed to a 48-hour Working Week opt out then your are protected not to work any longer than this. It was a pecie of legislation brought in by the goverment to protect low paid workers and people such as yourself.

Hope that helps in some way ontop of all the sound advice PP has listed above.

romanhighlander
Newly Registered

Re: point,Licensing System on Tier 2 is against Free & f

Post by romanhighlander » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:22 pm

you need professional advice...contact me

PaperPusher
Respected Guru

Post by PaperPusher » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:02 pm

Please do not contact romanhighlander. You have no idea who they are. They have not given their real name, unless it is actually Roman Highlander. You also have no idea if this advice will be "professional" because you do not know who they are regulated by, Law Society, FSA, OISC..........

I gave you a link to free initial advice and for good measure you could try:

http://www.lawscot.org.uk/find/

http://www.lawsociety.org.uk/choosingan ... icitor.law

http://www.lawsoc-ni.org/

http://www.oisc.gov.uk/

This forum also has rules about advertising, so unless this person is going to give you advice from the goodness of their heart..........well they could have done that anyway.