ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

overstayer returning home urgently

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

carly smith
Newly Registered

overstayer returning home urgently

Post by carly smith » Wed Jun 17, 2009 5:39 pm

hi there all u good people,this for a friend.hes overstayed for exactly 2yrs now and now wants to go home desperately.the question is can he use his passport with the expired visa?he tried to get a tc but was asked to get a police report,got to the police station and was asked to bring a form of i.d with d.o.b on it n proof of address also was told that an immigration check will be done on him b4 the crime number will be issued.can he go home to nigeria with his passport?he has a british fiancee who is willing to go home with him for them to get married n possibly come back.do they take thumb print when u going back home to ur home country?which is the best way to go home? thanking u God sent people in advance.thank u.

meats
BANNED

Re: overstayer returning home urgently

Post by meats » Wed Jun 17, 2009 7:33 pm

carly smith wrote:hi there all u good people,this for a friend.hes overstayed for exactly 2yrs now and now wants to go home desperately.the question is can he use his passport with the expired visa?he tried to get a tc but was asked to get a police report,got to the police station and was asked to bring a form of i.d with d.o.b on it n proof of address also was told that an immigration check will be done on him b4 the crime number will be issued.can he go home to nigeria with his passport?he has a british fiancee who is willing to go home with him for them to get married n possibly come back.do they take thumb print when u going back home to ur home country?which is the best way to go home? thanking u God sent people in advance.thank u.
Yes he can go home on his passport. Whether he gets stopped at the airport or not is anyone's guess.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:50 pm

meats wrote: Yes he can go home on his passport. Whether he gets stopped at the airport or not is anyone's guess.
I can quite understand an overstayer going home on an expired visa, but an expired passport? Don't think so! Once a passport expires it is null and void. Only the visa/permit within that is still ongoing, can still be used in conjunction with a new passport. He will have to get some sort of travel document from the Nigerian embassy. Why did they ask for a police report? Did he tell them he'd lost his passport, instead of saying he'd overstayed his visa and the passport has consequently expired? From what I understand, he has a passport, the problem is that it's expired! Back to the drawing board I'm afraid. Let him tell the truth to his embassy, so that they help him accordingly. Good luck to him!

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Wed Jun 17, 2009 10:58 pm

Rozen, where did the original poster say he has an expired passport??

I don't think there's an issue here. If he has an active passport from his home country, he can go back without any hassles.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Wed Jun 17, 2009 11:13 pm

global gypsy wrote:Rozen, where did the original poster say he has an expired passport??

I don't think there's an issue here. If he has an active passport from his home country, he can go back without any hassles.
Oops! :oops: My apologies. I think my brain is tired after a long day. Time to hit the sack. I'm sorry Carly. I was only half awake. Goedenacht!

bani

Post by bani » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:29 am

To the OP, do you mean he tried to buy an airline ticket and they wanted a police report? I'm not sure what you meant by "tc". If this is the case, that seems unusual. Can't he find a travel agent or another airline that won't require this?

carly smith
Newly Registered

re to bani

Post by carly smith » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:02 pm

he has a valid passport but visa ran out two years ago.now wants go home but doesnt want to be thumbprinted as it might ruin his chances of coming back if he gets married to fiancee.its quite a big deal at the nigerian embassy on the required documents needed to get an emergency travel certificate.same procedure with getting a new passport.so is it better to travel on the valid passport.
how do i reply to personal post to answer individual questions as i know u all trying to help.im still quite new to this.thanks a bunch

carly smith
Newly Registered

Re: re to bani

Post by carly smith » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:07 pm

carly smith wrote:he has a valid passport but visa ran out two years ago.now wants go home but doesnt want to be thumbprinted as it might ruin his chances of coming back if he gets married to fiancee.its quite a big deal at the nigerian embassy on the required documents needed to get an emergency travel certificate.same procedure with getting a new passport.so is it better to travel on the valid passport.
how do i reply to personal post to answer individual questions as i know u all trying to help.im still quite new to this.thanks a bunch
ok

carly smith
Newly Registered

re>overstayer

Post by carly smith » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:09 pm

bani wrote:To the OP, do you mean he tried to buy an airline ticket and they wanted a police report? I'm not sure what you meant by "tc". If this is the case, that seems unusual. Can't he find a travel agent or another airline that won't require this?
no,he called his embassy n was asked to provide documents which included a police report.

carly smith
Newly Registered

Post by carly smith » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:10 pm

Rozen wrote:
global gypsy wrote:Rozen, where did the original poster say he has an expired passport??

Oops! :oops: My apologies. I think my brain is tired after a long day. Time to hit the sack. I'm sorry Carly. I was only half awake. Goedenacht!
thats ok,thanks for time.

carly smith
Newly Registered

Post by carly smith » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:12 pm

meats wrote:
carly smith wrote:hi there all u good people,this for a friend.hes overstayed for exactly 2yrs now and now wants to go home desperately.the question is can he use his passport with the expired visa?he tried to get a tc but was asked to get a police report,got to the police station and was asked to bring a form of i.d with d.o.b on it n proof of address also was told that an immigration check will be done on him b4 the crime number will be issued.can he go home to nigeria with his passport?he has a british fiancee who is willing to go home with him for them to get married n possibly come back.do they take thumb print when u going back home to ur home country?which is the best way to go home? thanking u God sent people in advance.thank u.
Yes he can go home on his passport. Whether he gets stopped at the airport or not is anyone's guess.
thanks thats what i thot i guess it would also depend on which airport he decides to travel from as well.thanks a lot u guys

londonlad
Newly Registered

Post by londonlad » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:12 pm

incorrect info. - please ignor
Last edited by londonlad on Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

londonlad
Newly Registered

Post by londonlad » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:22 pm

Also to you let you know that most probablly Nigerian Embassy will find out when and what duration of visa you friend has. So, Unfortunately Its not going to work.

global gypsy
United Kingdom

Post by global gypsy » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:47 pm

I must admit I don't quite understand what the issue here is.
If this person is a Nigerian citizen and has a valid Nigerian passport, then if he travels back to his home country what issue is there if he had overstayed in the UK? At point of departure, they only check if you have a valid document to travel to the destination country.

Of course, returning to the UK later is a whole another issue.

londonlad
Newly Registered

Post by londonlad » Fri Jun 19, 2009 10:13 am

In India, They put you in Jail and expect to cough up some ££ before they let you go.

Mr Rusty
Diamond Member

Post by Mr Rusty » Fri Jun 19, 2009 11:32 am

londonlad wrote:If he goes to Nigeria via his passport, he will be reported by UK to Nigeria and will perhaps get arrested in Nigeria on his arrival. That will hamper his chances of coming back with his British citizen wife as he would have previously been in breach of his visa regulations.

What carly smith's friend wants to do is , get a police report saying that he’s visitor in UK who has lost his passport. He than has to take it along with some form of identity to Nigerian embassy, who than will issue him a emergency travel document , with no mention of his overstay and safely let him back in Nigeria.
This is dangerously misleading rubbish.
The "UK" won't "report" him to Nigeria, and a certain sure means of attracting attention to yourself is to present an emergency certificate while you're leaving the UK. Even if his overstay is recorded by Immigration when he leaves the UK, it won't be an automatic bar to him being granted a spouse visa if his fiancee goes back to Nigeria and marries him there, nor are Nigerian Immigration likely to be interested when he presents a valid passport to them; they might start asking questions if he presents an emergency certificate.
Consider this:- this gentleman wants to marry his British fiancee in Nigeria and be granted a visa to come back. How can he show that this is a genuine relationship without demonstrating the length of time they've been together, including the time he was here as an overstayer? He can't be automatically banned from applying for a spouse visa because of his overstay, but he can be refused and banned for 10 years if he attempts to conceal it.
Better to tell the truth

londonlad
Newly Registered

Post by londonlad » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:23 pm

Mr Rusty,

Thank you for updating us with more accurate info. I was only going by what I heard previously.

I have deleted the info from post accordingly.

carly smith
Newly Registered

Post by carly smith » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:41 pm

Mr Rusty wrote:
londonlad wrote:If he goes to Nigeria via his passport, he will be reported by UK to Nigeria and will perhaps get arrested in Nigeria on his arrival. That will hamper his chances of coming back with his British citizen wife as he would have previously been in breach of his visa regulations.

What carly smith's friend wants to do is , get a police report saying that he’s visitor in UK who has lost his passport. He than has to take it along with some form of identity to Nigerian embassy, who than will issue him a emergency travel document , with no mention of his overstay and safely let him back in Nigeria.
The "UK" won't "report" him to Nigeria, and a certain sure means of attracting attention to yourself is to present an emergency certificate while you're leaving the UK. Even if his overstay is recorded by Immigration when he leaves the UK, it won't be an automatic bar to him being granted a spouse visa if his fiancee goes back to Nigeria and marries him there, nor are Nigerian Immigration likely to be interested when he presents a valid passport to them; they might start asking questions if he presents an emergency certificate.
Consider this:- this gentleman wants to marry his British fiancee in Nigeria and be granted a visa to come back. How can he show that this is a genuine relationship without demonstrating the length of time they've been together, including the time he was here as an overstayer? He can't be automatically banned from applying for a spouse visa because of his overstay, but he can be refused and banned for 10 years if he attempts to conceal it.
Better to tell the truth
thamks mr rusty,so is it best he travels on his passport?

carly smith
Newly Registered

Post by carly smith » Sun Jun 21, 2009 3:41 pm

carly smith wrote:
Mr Rusty wrote:

Better to tell the truth
thanks,so is it best he travels on his passport?

bani

Post by bani » Sun Jun 21, 2009 8:16 pm

Hi Carly, thanks for clarifying in your post.

I agree that he should travel on his original passport. If he is lucky, he won't get checked on departure. The airline only checks if you have a valid passport/visa for the destination. As for the immigration checks, I'm not sure they do this at all airports - at Heathrow last December, I just opened the page with my UK visa and they waved me through (didn't even want to see the passport). I think the worst they can do is mark his passport as an overstayer, they can't keep him from departing.

jamalkhan

Post by jamalkhan » Tue Jun 23, 2009 3:21 pm

If he is got a British Wife/Fiance then he has no problem, even if he gets figerprinted. Telling the truth works as long as the wife got enough finance and support. this is my personal expereince