ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

applying on eea2 when visa has expired

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

george21
Newly Registered

Post by george21 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:16 pm

hi everyone i have recently submitted my eea2 application as the wife of an eu citizen, are there chances of my applicaton being refused on the basis of being an overstayer. My husband is excercising treaty rights as self employed. is anyone in the same position.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:46 pm

As long as it is a real and substantial marriage, then overstaying is not much of an issue.

Did you marry before or after the visa expired?

george21
Newly Registered

Post by george21 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:44 pm

Thanks for your reply Guru.
It was after i had overstayed, however i have been with my husband for five years, but we got married last year by marriage by proxy which took place in my country in my absence but with my family and his family present. The home office recognises such marriages. Will it be a problem because our marriage was after i had overstayed my visa.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:41 am

In theory it should not matter. Marriage to a non-UK EU citizen is grounds to remain.

It all hinges on how real and substantial your marriage is. Do you live together? Do you have children together? Do you have a long documented past together?

86ti
Diamond Member

Re: applying on eea2 when visa has expired

Post by 86ti » Fri Jun 19, 2009 8:52 am

george21 wrote:Will it be a problem because our marriage was after i had overstayed my visa.
They could insinuate a marriage of convenience but if you can prove the history of your relationship (and 5 years should really be enough) than that should be ok.

george21
Newly Registered

overstaying visa and marriage

Post by george21 » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:50 pm

We have pictures of us dating back from 2004 some of it includes graduation pictures, weddings of friends we both attended about two years ago, valentine and birthday cards, also we are joint owners of a land in my country of origin, pictures of us at parties, nights out, holidays and many more. However in my culture you cant move in with a man until he performs all the necessary marriage rites, so we only started living together since October last year. What other documents will they require to prove our relationship is genuine. I am hoping they request for documetary evidence before they make a decision.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Re: overstaying visa and marriage

Post by Rozen » Fri Jun 19, 2009 2:49 pm

george21 wrote: I am hoping they request for documetary evidence before they make a decision.
Highly likely!