ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

when can apply for citizenship???

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

knapps
Member of Standing

when can apply for citizenship???

Post by knapps » Sat Jun 06, 2009 4:45 pm

Guys, i am married to an EU citizen for about 3 and half years now and currently have stamp 4 eu fam. After how many more years i should be able to apply for citizenship as now i am on residency. please let me know.

sideshowsue

Post by sideshowsue » Sat Jun 06, 2009 5:07 pm

If, by 'EU citizen', you mean that your spouse is non-Irish, then you can apply for naturalisation only after 5 years' reckonable residency. 'Reckonable residency' is calculated exclusively by GNIB stamps in your passport and does not, for instance, include any time spent on a student visa. What's more, you must have been resident for the entire year immediately preceding your application. Download the pdf from this site for further details: http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/WP07000044

So in your case, you can only apply approximately 18 months from now--do bear in mind, though, that anecdotal evidence suggests that processing times for naturalisation run well over the 23-month average given by the INIS. So expect to have been in Ireland for up to (and perhaps even longer than) 8 years before becoming a naturalised Irish citizen.

knapps
Member of Standing

Post by knapps » Fri Jun 19, 2009 12:35 pm

that is an awful amount of time, isn't it. So, even after 5 years I need to apply and wait for another 3 years for the INIS to make decision.
How do you mean for 1 year complete stay. Does that mean I can't go on Holidays not even for a week??

Darkhorse

Post by Darkhorse » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:55 am

You can go for holiday of course. It means you must have 12 months resident permit in the last year of your stay.