ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

South African wife of British Citizen-wants to visit France

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

startingover
Newly Registered

South African wife of British Citizen-wants to visit France

Post by startingover » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:32 pm

Hi
I am a South African passport holder and the wife of a British citizen and have ILR. I intend visiting France for a 10 day holiday with friends. I understand that if I were travelling with my husband I would not need a visa. However, he is based overseas for a lengthy period of time and I am travelling alone. I have been advised that I must apply for a Schengen visa and I need to send his passport as well as mine with the application form. As he is overseas, this is problematical as he will have to courier it to me and I will have to courier it back to him. There is an element of risk I would rather avoid. Is this really the case?
Thank you

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Re: South African wife of British Citizen-wants to visit Fra

Post by Wanderer » Wed Jun 24, 2009 10:53 pm

startingover wrote:Hi
I am a South African passport holder and the wife of a British citizen and have ILR. I intend visiting France for a 10 day holiday with friends. I understand that if I were travelling with my husband I would not need a visa. However, he is based overseas for a lengthy period of time and I am travelling alone. I have been advised that I must apply for a Schengen visa and I need to send his passport as well as mine with the application form. As he is overseas, this is problematical as he will have to courier it to me and I will have to courier it back to him. There is an element of risk I would rather avoid. Is this really the case?
Thank you
You would need a visa, search these fora for why.

Apply as urself alone and pay the £45 quid or whatever it is now.
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Rozen
Diamond Member

Re: South African wife of British Citizen-wants to visit Fra

Post by Rozen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:15 pm

startingover wrote:Hi
Thank you
Visa free is only for non EU family members of EU citizens who hold a Residence Card issued under EU law. If you have a permit under UK law (in your case ILR) then as Wanderer says, it's schengen visa application I'm afraid.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:53 am

I agree. Visa needed in almost all cases. Would be free and easy if you were travelling with your (EU) husband. Unfortunately you have to pay and open all your personal details to their scrutiny.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 5:37 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:I agree. Visa needed in almost all cases. Would be free and easy if you were travelling with your (EU) husband. Unfortunately you have to pay and open all your personal details to their scrutiny.
Does a schengen visa issued as the spouse of a British citizen actually say it was obtained that way?

As I know of other people who have obtained a schengen visa for free then travelled without their British spouse.

86ti
Diamond Member

Post by 86ti » Thu Jun 25, 2009 6:31 pm

djb123 wrote:
Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:I agree. Visa needed in almost all cases. Would be free and easy if you were travelling with your (EU) husband. Unfortunately you have to pay and open all your personal details to their scrutiny.
Does a schengen visa issued as the spouse of a British citizen actually say it was obtained that way?

As I know of other people who have obtained a schengen visa for free then travelled without their British spouse.
A French visa does mention that it was issued to a family member.

djb123
Member of Standing

Post by djb123 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 7:41 pm

86ti wrote:
djb123 wrote:

A French visa does mention that it was issued to a family member.
Just checked my wife's passport and you are right that the one from French Embassy did specify family, but the one from the Italian embassy didn't.

xjessie007
Newly Registered

Post by xjessie007 » Thu Jun 25, 2009 8:32 pm

I agree, visa is needed. The current fee for visa is 60 EUR. The fee can be waived in some cases as defined in the Recommendation 2005/761/EC of the European Parliament.