ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

British Citizenship | Tax documents, P60

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

RagsKasthuri
BANNED

British Citizenship | Tax documents, P60

Post by RagsKasthuri » Fri Jun 26, 2009 11:21 am

Hi,

I have now taken an appointment with the Nationality Checking Service in Hamilton, Scotland. I would be happy if someone can clarify the following:

1) Can I provide a combination of Payslips, employers letter, P60 and P45's for the period employment?
To be specific, what want to confirm is, Example in my case, can I provide an
- employers letter for the employment between April 2004 and February 2006,
- P60 to cover employment period from February 2006 to May 2007,
- Payslips and P45 to cover the employment period from May 2007 to July 2007

2) For the period I am self employed, would it be enough to have a statement from HMRC stating the acknowledgement of the payment of the corporation tax for the time period August 2007 to August 2008 ?

3) Beyond 2008, my accountant has not even prepared the company accounts. So I will not be able to provide any document for the time period August 2008 to August 2009. Is this acceptable? All I can provide for this period is the contracts I have fetched and the invoices I had claimed and the bank statements. Would this be enough?

Thanks,
Rags

Plum70
Diamond Member

Re: British Citizenship | Tax documents, P60

Post by Plum70 » Fri Jun 26, 2009 4:25 pm

RagsKasthuri wrote:Hi,

I have now taken an appointment with the Nationality Checking Service in Hamilton, Scotland. I would be happy if someone can clarify the following:

1) Can I provide a combination of Payslips, employers letter, P60 and P45's for the period employment?

2) For the period I am self employed, would it be enough to have a statement from HMRC stating the acknowledgement of the payment of the corporation tax for the time period August 2007 to August 2008 ?

3) Beyond 2008, my accountant has not even prepared the company accounts. So I will not be able to provide any document for the time period August 2008 to August 2009. Is this acceptable? All I can provide for this period is the contracts I have fetched and the invoices I had claimed and the bank statements. Would this be enough?

Thanks,
Rags
Should be fine; just get your accountant to write a letter re your company's economic activity for Aug '08 to present. An accountant's letter should suffice.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jun 26, 2009 10:09 pm

RagsKasthuri, have you actually read the form AN and the Guide AN? If so, why are you thinking that all those documents need to be supplied?
John

RagsKasthuri
BANNED

Post by RagsKasthuri » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:28 am

Hi,

Yes, I have read through the AN guidance notes. The documents checklist section says: If you are self employed, you need to provide statements from HMRC for the period of time you were self employed.

Also I wrote an email to UBBA Nationality enquiry at Liverpool and the reply was that you can provide a combination of P60's / Employer reference letter for the period fo time you were employed and provide the statements from HMRC for the period of time you were self employed.

When I called up, the conversation went to the level that I wouldn't have any documents to submit for the Period August 2008 - present and the answer given was that I can only keep a letter from an accountant. However, if they need any further information after I make the application, they would write to me at that time when they consider my application and I must in a position to provide relevant documents for getting an approval.

Hope I clarified the situation.

Cheers,
Rags

chakku71

Post by chakku71 » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:35 am

Hi,
Is there a long queue for appointment with nationality checking service
BB

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Jun 27, 2009 8:45 am

I think what you are overlooking is the fact that employed people do not need to supply any tax documents, so there is no need to be concerned with any P60. But for self-employed, yes it does say that you need to send Statements of Account. Are you saying that you have had no such statements since August last year?

Ah but, looking at your opening post, from the tax point of view you are not self-employed at all, are you! You mention corporation tax, and that of course is payable by companies, not individuals. So it appears to be the case that you own your company, and are paid a salary by it, and possibly dividends as well.

Accordingly there is no need for you to enclose tax documents with your application.
John

RagsKasthuri
BANNED

Post by RagsKasthuri » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:58 am

Hey John

Looking at it from your point of view, it feels correct. I own my own Limited company. I have got company accounts till the 31st August 2008. After that I don't have any accounts or records.

From your point, I am an employee of my own company. That way I have got the P60 which covers the period till April 2009. Clever :-)

From the April 2009 - till date, produce salary slips from my own company and produce them as evidence along with the bank statements. Is this the idea you are suggesting?

(Or) Are you suggesting that I do not need to submit any tax documents atall under the assumption that I have never been self employed and always been employed?

Cheers
Rags

RagsKasthuri
BANNED

Post by RagsKasthuri » Sat Jun 27, 2009 12:01 pm

Queue for Nationality checking service depends on which location you apply for I suppose.

I can speak for the one in Scotland. I left my name and number on the voice message and it took them 4 working days to return back to me (Excluding the weekends). I was called up on the 24th June and the appointment was available for the 7th July. I guess a previous date might have been available as well. But this is the date I was after :-) so that I can get my documentation ready.

Point to note is that, they call you back only once on the number that you had provided. Hence, if you miss the call, then you will have to start the process all over again. The process is to leave your name and number after the beep and wait for the next 2 to 4 working days and promptly pick up the call and provide them with all the details requested. Be prepared with your card details to make the payment when asked for.

Cheers,
Rags

1963British

Post by 1963British » Sat Jun 27, 2009 2:00 pm

From your description it sounds like you are an employee and not self employed.

Here is probably the easiest way to look at;

Do you pay Class 2 National Insurance Contributions?

Only the self employed pay Class 2 contributions. It is around 2.50 a week and it is typically paid by direct monthly debit out of a personal account.

IF you do not pay Class 2, then you are not self employed.

If you are not self employed, then all that material will only confuse the case worker.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Sat Jun 27, 2009 11:05 pm

RagsKasthuri wrote:From the April 2009 - till date, produce salary slips from my own company and produce them as evidence along with the bank statements. Is this the idea you are suggesting?
I fail to see why you continue to over-complicate a simple matter. Send no tax documents, and no bank statements!

There is absolutely nothing in the Guide AN, as regards you, which says that you need to send those types of documents.
John

republique
BANNED

Re: British Citizenship | Tax documents, P60

Post by republique » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:31 pm

RagsKasthuri wrote:Hi,

Thanks,
Rags
If you send anything, you send your self assessment. I did for my Nationality Application as I had a ltd company and the advisor told me to do so even though I didn't think I needed to. Your payment of corporation tax is not probabative in the Nationality application.