ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Query on jobs in UK

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Padma
Newly Registered

Query on jobs in UK

Post by Padma » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:01 pm

Hi,

I have read many posts here for the job market in the UK. I am planning to apply for some contract jobs from India and then go and search for permanent ones.

Can anyone tell me if this works out. Do the employers entertain your resume when you are applying from outside UK. (at least for contract purpose)

I am working on AS400 platform and have 10+ yrs of experience in it.
I also want to have some consultants contact names/number if anyone could provide.

Thanks in advance.

Padma

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:13 pm

Can anyone tell me if this works out. Do the employers entertain your resume when you are applying from outside UK. (at least for contract purpose)
Generally employers/agencies respond only if you are in-country. Especially for contract jobs as for most of the openings you are required to join on a very short notice.

Sushil-ACCA
Diamond Member

Post by Sushil-ACCA » Mon Jun 29, 2009 3:48 pm

PESENT scenario

1 job 500 are chasing almost in all filed

may be too exceessive but this is reality

nksg

Post by nksg » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:33 am

Agreed with Sushil!! best policy is try to stich on to your current job untill there are some hopes of revival.
Sushil-ACCA wrote:PESENT scenario

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:37 am

nksg wrote:Agreed with Sushil!! best policy is try to stich on to your current job untill there are some hopes of revival.
Sushil-ACCA wrote:PESENT scenario

That would be a wise step.

tote
BANNED

Post by tote » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:27 am

This makes me really angry, WE ARE IN RECESSION.

British jobs for british workers.

how dare immigrants come to this country at this unstable time and assume they will be given priority over the british.

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Tue Jun 30, 2009 10:28 am

tote wrote:This makes me really angry, WE ARE IN RECESSION.

British jobs for british workers.

how dare immigrants come to this country at this unstable time and assume they will be given priority over the british.
Tote, can you please highlight any section of this thread which indicate people are expecting priority?

tote
BANNED

Post by tote » Tue Jun 30, 2009 4:52 pm

When there 500 people chasing every one job, and you have immigrants like this desperate to com e to the uk. they are probably expecting priority.

tier 1 and 2 should be shut down for aq good two years

Obie
Ireland

Re: Query on jobs in UK

Post by Obie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:05 pm

Padma wrote:Hi,

I have read many posts here for the job market in the UK. I am planning to apply for some contract jobs from India and then go and search for permanent ones.

I am working on AS400 platform and have 10+ yrs of experience in it.
I also want to have some consultants contact names/number if anyone could provide.

Thanks in advance.

Padma
There is no harm applying.

If your skills is in demand, and you meet the criteria, you will be granted the visa.

Even though there is recession, there are hundreds of thousands of Jobs in certain skilled areas which hasn't been filled, certain regions of the UK have different skills demands.

I will advise you not to leave you current Job, Seek advise on whether there is vacancy in your skilled area of expertise and proceed with your application.

Perseverance is one of the keys to success. Don't be swayed by the economic atmosphere or negative overtones.

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Re: Query on jobs in UK

Post by ChetanOjha » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:36 pm

Obie wrote:There is no harm applying.

If your skills is in demand, and you meet the criteria, you will be granted the visa.

Even though there is recession, there are hundreds of thousands of Jobs in certain skilled areas which hasn't been filled, certain regions of the UK have different skills demands.

I will advise you not to leave you current Job, Seek advise on whether there is vacancy in your skilled area of expertise and proceed with your application.

Perseverance is one of the keys to success. Don't be swayed by the economic atmosphere or negative overtones.
Agree with Obie.

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:46 pm

tote wrote:When there 500 people chasing every one job, and you have immigrants like this desperate to come to the uk. they are probably expecting priority.

Nobody is expecting priority or special treatment. People apply for Tier 1 visa because they are skilled. This is same as UK companies compete for oil/projects/contracts in other part of the world. It is not desperateness, It is the demand of the market. Thats the sole reason government is still running the visa scheme i.e. to meet the demand of the market. Now, as far as expectation of special/priority treatment is concerned I disagree with this argument as well.
The problem with the perception of the people which is of cursing migrant workers.It has became more of a fashion than reality. If you don't get anything else to do curse migrant worker. If your TV is broken curse migrant worker. If you didn't cleared interview curse migrant worker.

Anyway, this discussion will again go into the argument to migrant vs local workers which I do not want. The original question of the thread was to look for job in UK market which I think I have replied. So no more posting in this thread from me.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:12 pm

chetanojha wrote:
tote wrote:When there 500 people chasing every one job, and you have immigrants like this desperate to come to the uk. they are probably expecting priority.

Nobody is expecting priority or special treatment. People apply for Tier 1 visa because they are skilled. This is same as UK companies compete for oil/projects/contracts in other part of the world. It is not desperateness, It is the demand of the market. Thats the sole reason government is still running the visa scheme i.e. to meet the demand of the market. Now, as far as expectation of special/priority treatment is concerned I disagree with this argument as well.
The problem with the perception of the people which is of cursing migrant workers.It has became more of a fashion than reality. If you don't get anything else to do curse migrant worker. If your TV is broken curse migrant worker. If you didn't cleared interview curse migrant worker.

Anyway, this discussion will again go into the argument of migrant vs local workers which I do not want. The original question of the thread was to look for job in UK market which I think I have replied. No point in arguing the same thing over and over again.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:28 pm

chetanojha wrote:

Anyway, this discussion will again go into the argument to migrant vs local workers which I do not want. The original question of the thread was to look for job in UK market which I think I have replied. So no more posting in this thread from me.
I am as appalled by the shameful and ignorant perception of migrant as you are.
We need to ask ourselves the question, if that is the case. Why do employer prefer to employ overseas worker than UK based? if UK based worker are as competent?. The argument that they lower wage will obviously not work for this one anyway.

I opened a thread about this argument in the General Discussion, because i get extremely irritated when infiltrators get into the forum and start uttering these venomous, virulent garbage about poor and defenseless people who are only seeking a better life and make contribution to countries where their skill are required or in demand.

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Tue Jun 30, 2009 8:45 pm

Obie wrote:
chetanojha wrote:

I am as appalled by the shameful and ignorant perception of migrant as you are.
We need to ask ourselves the question, if that is the case. Why do employer prefer to employ overseas worker than UK based? if UK based worker are as competent?. The argument that they lower wage will obviously not work for this one anyway.

I opened a thread about this argument in the General Discussion, because i get extremely irritated when infiltrators get into the forum and start uttering these venomous, virulent garbage about poor and defenseless people who are only seeking a better life and make contribution to countries where their skill are required or in demand.
Check this link if you are appalled by my comment and see what is the perception of local people(not saying this is perception of all but people are coming to this forum just to insult the other members). Just because somebody is migrant that doesn give right to other people to degrade them. This forum is very tolerant but this has now became trend. Not trying to provoke confrontation here but every now and them some or other person login in and shouting on roof top to "GO BACK". What does that supposed to mean?

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 9:28 pm

chetanojha wrote:
Check this link if you are appalled by my comment and see what is the perception of local people(not saying this is perception of all but people are coming to this forum just to insult the other members). Just because somebody is migrant that doesn give right to other people to degrade them. This forum is very tolerant but this has now became trend. Not trying to provoke confrontation here but every now and them some or other person login in and shouting on roof top to "GO BACK". What does that supposed to mean?

http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewto ... highlight=
Chetanojha i am very cool with you. I understand your point and i am in support of it fully.

I am not appalled with you, i am appalled at the ignorant people you were replying do, who infiltrate the forum with their filthy lovely remarks.

I appreciate the appropriate response you gave.

Thank you