ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA family permit refused

Use this section for any queries concerning the EU Settlement Scheme, for applicants holding pre-settled and settled status.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:14 pm

wet26 wrote:I'm really confused, because from what I had read, I should have been granted the EEA FP and I think the ECO has made an error in interpreting the legislation.
Correct. But don't worry about it.

wet26 wrote:Will do, I have all the evidence that I gathered in support of my EEA app. 20 documents, of which 6 were taken into account.

My husband and I are entering together.
Belts and braces then. Enjoy your flight.
I am no longer posting publicly on this website - PM me if needed.

wet26

Post by wet26 » Wed Jun 24, 2009 4:46 pm

benifa wrote:
wet26 wrote:I'm really confused, because from what I had read, I should have been granted the EEA FP and I think the ECO has made an error in interpreting the legislation.
Correct. But don't worry about it.

wet26 wrote:Will do, I have all the evidence that I gathered in support of my EEA app. 20 documents, of which 6 were taken into account.

My husband and I are entering together.
Belts and braces then. Enjoy your flight.
We are getting the ferry because we are bringing the car back and our dog. So we are driving across Spain and the UK... not sure if I will enjoy it :-)

cheers for your help again.

Rozen
Diamond Member

Post by Rozen » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:06 pm

noble72uk wrote:Hi
I introduce my self:

I am Algerian I’m married to a French I hold a 5 years residence card under Derictive2004/38/EC, we lives in the UK.
My wife has applied for a residence card for a treaty right in the UK which was granted for her and for me because of her residence in the UK (outside France).

In your case, your husband has applied for a residence card in Spain which was granted for him and then for you as well. Correct me if I’m wrong?
If my wife goes back to France, she doesn’t need to apply because she’s French citizen but for my self I have to apply from the beginning for a residence in France under the French Immigration law not EEA
As I have told you before your husband is a British and you need to apply for spouse/partner residence which is a visa UK clearance for 2 years and then a (ILR) indefinite leave to remain.

You need to forget about the EAA directives if you intend to live in the UK + you need to apply where you reside actually if in Spain.

Best regards
Feel free to ask any questions, I will help you.

PS: I have studied the law in Algiers and read European and UK laws since I come to Britain 4 years ago.
wet26 wrote:
ribena wrote:Hi
You have married to a British citizen and now wanted to live permanently in UK.
noble72uk is correct that you need to apply as s spouse/partner of a British citizen.

EEA FP is not the right application.

But if wet26 has a RC from Spain, is she allowed to live in UK w/o the need to apply as a spouse of a British citizen? just curious ..
Rubbish! Her partner has been exercising his treaty rights in Spain, so ofcourse she can apply for a Family Permit and return to the UK with her British partner under the Surinder Singh rule!

I'm non-EU. My husband is Dutch. We were living in England for a long time before returning to The Netherlands early this year. We returned under the EU umbrella, and NOT under Dutch national law, even though my husband is a Dutch national.

So Noble72uk; if you wish to go to France, you may do so under the EU rules and not France national law, even though your wife is French. Simply because she has exercised her treaty rights in another EU country! I suggest you go back to the drawing board and re-study the EU law before giving wrong advice to others over the same. :roll:

wet26

UPDATE

Post by wet26 » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:34 am

So, yesterday I was refused and EEA FP and given 2 weeks temp admission to the UK. I have to return to the port at this time to receive the final decision on my application, as it has been referred higher. The port has my passport and evidence.

Reasons the CIO has given (verbally only):

He is not satisfied that our marriage was not entered into to circumvent immigration rules. I responded that whilst we have only been married for one month, we have been living together for 18 months. He said that we need to provide evidence of a durable relationship of 2 years. I said that I thought this requirement applied to extended family members, not spouses. He said that the immigration rules are interpreted differently by port officers and the government (???)

He is not satisfied that my husband has been exercising treaty rights, because he has been receiving his income from the UK. I stated that he has been residing in Spain as a worker for almost 2 years, and was I not aware where it was stated in the rules that it was necessary to receive income from a Spanish employer. We have proof that we were living together in Spain, and that my husband was employed in Spain, albeit by a UK employer.

re: Surinder Singh. CIO stated that this was a complicated ruling that only applies in specific circumstances, for example, if I was residing in Germany with my british spouse and my previous UK spouse visa was due to expire and I wanted to return to England, it would be appropriate to issue an EEA FP in that instance. I said I hadn't read anything that said it was necessary to have previously been issued a UK spouse visa before being issued with an EEA FP.

He said that if I was issued with an EEA FP, it would only be for 3 months, after which time I would have to leave the UK anyway. I disputed this, and he said it was his job and he knows what he is talking about.

I'm at a bit of loss about what to do now. Would getting a lawyer do any good, perhaps to write them a letter on by behalf. The problem is they have kept all of my original documents and I didn't take copies... I wasn't expecting all of this drama at the border.

sebhoff
Newly Registered

Re: UPDATE

Post by sebhoff » Wed Jul 01, 2009 1:56 pm

wet26 wrote: He said that the immigration rules are interpreted differently by port officers and the government (???)
I wish you could have recorded that one - would have been nice to have! :lol:

I have no further factual input on this - but some thoughts nevertheless:

Let's just *assume* (and I am not at all presupposing that this is the case!) that the immigration officer is right: you did indeed get married sooner rather than later in order to make it easier for you to get into Britain. You wanted to stay with your partner for the rest of your life anyway and once you realised that it would make your life infinitely easier, you hurried things up more than you would have otherwise. (This is incidentally exactly what my wife and I did a long time ago when she was chased out of Switzerland by the authorities - we married and that solved the problem.)
Now - is that indeed then a "marriage of convenience"? According to Wikipedia (for whatever it's worth),
"a marriage of convenience (plural marriages of convenience) is a marriage contracted for reasons other than the reasons of relationship, family, or love. Instead, such a marriage is orchestrated for personal gain or some other sort of strategic purpose, such as immigration."
Notice that it doesn't say "solely for reasons other than..." but just "for reasons"... In other words: even though you have married the man you love and even though this is no doubt a genuine relationship, could it be a problem that one of the reasons for the marriage was to make it easier (and cheaper) for you to enter the UK?
If the answer to this is (legally) "yes", then I could see difficulties ahead for you. If, on the other hand, it is more important that you have married the man you had a relationship with for the past 18 months, then it should really be no problem, should it?

Now, regardless of whether my scenario is actually an accurate reflection of what you did - this will no doubt have featured in the mind of the immigration officer...

By the way, rather than you telling us about whether or not my scenario is actually true or not (after all, your immigration officer might be an avid reader of this forum...), I would be interested in hearing from other forum members who know much more about this than I do whether this would have serious implications for your situation.

Good luck - and please keep us updated!

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:27 am

Wet

I can not believe they refused your FP.....AHHHH! Benifra you stated in one of the previous posts that she is not illegal in Spain that the moment she married her husband she became legal....but these countries don't see it like that!!! And the EU is not helping it's own citizen's I have emailed and complained numerous times!!They won't allow my husband any rights and he has been married to his EU spouse exercising treaty rights the past 3 years!!! wet26 is lucky that she is not a visa required national....or else she would be like myself and my husband stuck in "Spain"

Any way back to the subject on hand???How did it go? So they allowed you temp entry? They are disgraceful! Why do you think they refused you? because of your husband actually working for a UK company or because you were in Spain without the Spanish haven issued you with a RC????

I was waiting to see how you got on?? I was thinking of doing the same thing applying for a FP even though my husband has not been issued with his RC!

wet26

Post by wet26 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:12 pm

ciaramc, they didn't issue the permit because they don't think he is exercising treaty rights because he is receiving his income from the UK. They weren't concerned with my immigration status in Spain. You've been married 3 years, me only one month, so I don't think you would have the marriage of convenience thing hanging over your head. (I would like to add that my husband was waiting to meet my parents and ask my father for my hand before he proposed. Once he did that he proposed straight away and we wanted to elope. Flying to the states to get married and spending close to 4 grand was hardly "convenient" and we genuinely did not get married for a visa. How to prove this, I don't know...I thought evidence of our 18 month relationship prior to marriage would be enough, obviously not)

If you do all the things that need to be done to meet the requirements, I think your husband would be given the FP. Your situation is different to mine, because you're irish and you have been married a lot longer.

Anyway, I've been given TA, and waiting on a decision, which I hope to have in a few days. If I'm not granted leave to enter, I'll go home and apply for a spouse visa. They seemed quite confident at the port that I would get the spouse visa, it just seems so unecessary to go all the way home to apply for it.

sebhoff
Newly Registered

Post by sebhoff » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:53 pm

There are interesting new guidelines (and they are only guidelines) about 2004/38 that were published today. The topic of "marriage of convenience" is quite prominent - but I don't know whether it will help you much. I haven't been able to locate the original, but the full text was recently posted on a different subforum here: http://www.immigrationboards.com/viewtopic.php?t=41077.
Hope this helps.

sebhoff
Newly Registered

Post by sebhoff » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:56 pm

And another possibly important part of the new guidelines is this:
However, EU citizens who return to their home Member State after having resided in another Member State and in certain circumstances also those EU citizens who have exercised their rights to free movement in another Member State without residing there (for example by providing services in another Member State without residing there) benefit as well from the rules on free movement of persons.

wet26

Post by wet26 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:05 pm

Just a further update, I've received leave to enter for three months, after this I'm going home to apply for a spouse visa. At least I don't have to leave in 2 weeks...
wet26 wrote:ciaramc, they didn't issue the permit because they don't think he is exercising treaty rights because he is receiving his income from the UK. They weren't concerned with my immigration status in Spain. You've been married 3 years, me only one month, so I don't think you would have the marriage of convenience thing hanging over your head. (I would like to add that my husband was waiting to meet my parents and ask my father for my hand before he proposed. Once he did that he proposed straight away and we wanted to elope. Flying to the states to get married and spending close to 4 grand was hardly "convenient" and we genuinely did not get married for a visa. How to prove this, I don't know...I thought evidence of our 18 month relationship prior to marriage would be enough, obviously not)

If you do all the things that need to be done to meet the requirements, I think your husband would be given the FP. Your situation is different to mine, because you're irish and you have been married a lot longer.

Anyway, I've been given TA, and waiting on a decision, which I hope to have in a few days. If I'm not granted leave to enter, I'll go home and apply for a spouse visa. They seemed quite confident at the port that I would get the spouse visa, it just seems so unecessary to go all the way home to apply for it.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:12 pm

wet26 wrote:Just a further update, I've received leave to enter for three months, after this I'm going home to apply for a spouse visa. At least I don't have to leave in 2 weeks...
I think the three month you are given is an indication you are covered under EU law, which means you can apply for a resident Card towards the end of that period.

Good Luck

wet26

Post by wet26 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:29 pm

Obie wrote:
wet26 wrote:Just a further update, I've received leave to enter for three months, after this I'm going home to apply for a spouse visa. At least I don't have to leave in 2 weeks...
I think the three month you are given is an indication you are covered under EU law, which means you can apply for a resident Card towards the end of that period.

Good Luck
Cheers, I asked about that though and she said I've been given leave to enter for 3 months as a visitor, after which time I can either go back to Australia and apply for a visa under UK immigration rules, or I can be deported to Spain at HM's expense.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Jul 02, 2009 7:40 pm

Hi wet26.

What an idiot the IO is. I trust you'll be writing a formal complaint.

Anyway, once you have your passport back, simply apply for the Residence Card of the family member of a Union citizen, to which you are entitled, using form EEA2.

There's no need to leave the country, use UK national law and apply for a Spouse Visa (unless, of course, you prefer to).

wet26

Post by wet26 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 8:54 pm

benifa wrote:Hi wet26.

What an idiot the IO is. I trust you'll be writing a formal complaint.

Anyway, once you have your passport back, simply apply for the Residence Card of the family member of a Union citizen, to which you are entitled, using form EEA2.

There's no need to leave the country, use UK national law and apply for a Spouse Visa (unless, of course, you prefer to).
From what they've told me, EEA rules don't apply to me because they don't consider my husband to be an EEA national, and now that we're back in England he's not exercising any treaty rights. If I had interpreted the EEA rules correctly, how on earth are there so many IOs who can't?

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:05 pm

It doesn't matter what the IO at the border said or thinks. Well, it does, as in it matters that he's so ill-informed. What I mean is that your rights are not affected.

It is a fact that your husband was resident in another Member State while pursuing an economic activity (Singh). It is a fact that you can benefit from the Directive regardless of how you entered the UK (Metock).

Forget what that pillock at the border said. You won't be dealing with him from now on anyway, it'll be the Home Office.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:11 pm

benifa wrote:It doesn't matter what the IO at the border said or thinks. Well, it does, as in it matters that he's so ill-informed. What I mean is that your rights are not affected.

It is a fact that your husband was resident in another Member State while pursuing an economic activity (Singh). It is a fact that you can benefit from the Directive regardless of how you entered the UK (Metock).

Forget what that pillock at the border said. You won't be dealing with him from now on anyway, it'll be the Home Office.
Terrific advise Ben. That officer needs to be suspended without pay or sacked if what he is doing is deliberate and not sanctioned by his superiors. How could an officer who is meant to be fully informed about these laws acts so ignorantly, is beyond my believe.

I couldn't have found a better word to describe him.

She should just proceed with applying for the resident card like you said and forget about that idiot.

If she has his details, she should report him for harassment and providing misleading information.

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:31 pm

Couldn't agree with you more, Obie!

wet26

article 48 treaty of rome

Post by wet26 » Thu Jul 02, 2009 10:41 pm

ARTICLE 48
1. Freedom of movement for workers shall be secured within the Community by the
end of the transitional period at the latest.
2. Such freedom of movement shall entail the abolition of any discrimination based
on nationality between workers of the Member States as regards employment,
remuneration and other conditions of work and employment.
3. It shall entail the right, subject to limitations justified on grounds of public policy,
public security or public health:
(a) to accept offers of employment actually made;
(b) to move freely within the territory of Member States for this purpose;
(c) to stay in a Member State for the purpose of employment in accordance with the
provisions governing the employment of nationals of that State laid down by law,
regulation or administrative action;
(d) to remain in the territory of a Member State after having been employed in that
State, subject to conditions which shall be embodied in implementing regulations
to be drawn up by the Commission.
4. The provisions of this Article shall not apply to employment in the public service.
Was my husband technically employed in Spain? He was going to work there and living there, but his income was from a UK company.

aLSO:
On those grounds,

THE COURT,

in answer to the question referred to it by the High Court of Justice (Queen' s Bench Division) by order of 19 October 1990, hereby rules:

Article 52 of the Treaty and Council Directive 73/148/EEC of 21 May 1973 on the abolition of restrictions on movement and residence within the Community for nationals of Member States with regard to establishment and the provision of services, properly construed, require a Member State to grant leave to enter and reside in its territory to the spouse, of whatever nationality, of a national of that State who has gone, with that spouse, to another Member State in order to work there as an employed person as envisaged by Article 48 of the Treaty and returns to establish himself or herself as envisaged by Article 52 of the Treaty in the State of which he or she is a national. A spouse must enjoy at least the same rights as would be granted to him or her under Community law if his or her spouse entered and resided in another Member State.
I didn't go with him to Spain, I met him there...

One more thing... the IO was a complete ******, he made me feel like a criminal and an idiot in the way he spoke to me. Condescending twat.

noble72uk
- thin ice -

Re: article 48 treaty of rome

Post by noble72uk » Fri Jul 03, 2009 3:25 pm

On those grounds,

THE COURT,

in answer to the question referred to it by the High Court of Justice (Queen' s Bench Division) by order of 19 October 1990, hereby rules:

Article 52 of the Treaty and Council Directive 73/148/EEC of 21 May 1973 on the abolition of restrictions on movement and residence within the Community for nationals of Member States with regard to establishment and the provision of services, properly construed, require a Member State to grant leave to enter and reside in its territory to the spouse, of whatever nationality, of a national of that State who has gone, with that spouse, to another Member State in order to work there as an employed person as envisaged by Article 48 of the Treaty and returns to establish himself or herself as envisaged by Article 52 of the Treaty in the State of which he or she is a national. A spouse must enjoy at least the same rights as would be granted to him or her under Community law if his or her spouse entered and resided in another Member State.
Hi Wet26

I’m sorry to hear that you‘ve been refused for the RC,

I know that you requested some help in the forum and most of people included me advised differently. As some people said that I was saying rubbish when I advised you while you were in Spain to apply for a UK Visa as spouse to a British.
Some people disagreed with me.

In Spain when the UK officer said that your Husband is not qualify as application to a RC for the UK as EU family under Directive2004/38/EC.

I think that the person to blame is the British Officer who works in that consulate in Spain.
As I told you should apply under UK law not under EU Directive as you can see

THE COURT,

(May be granted to go with your spouse as moving back to the UK).

Is not clear.

My advice is to go with your husband to Croydon and take the entire document especially P60, Pay slips actually they are your only evidence that your husband was living in Spain but working for the British and paying his taxes in the UK but not in Spain.

Make it clear: Ask

If you 100% not benefice to apply under EU law if the answer is NO,

Ask what documents need to apply under UK law as spouse of British if they will request to provide more documents.

Your Husband P60’s, previous pay slips that shows he’s been paying the Taxes in the UK Should Grant you 2 years visa and then after the ILR.

To be honest this is the most reason that in Spain they said that your husband is not qualifying but that officer should tell you to apply under UK.

IF you find that the UKBA is not cooperating with you and trying to find any excuse to refuse your application, write to your local MP in the UK trust me It will helps.

PS: I’m not sure I think as long as you are legal in the UK even as tourist visa you are allowed to apply as a spouse to a British in these circumstances.

Good luck

Ben
Diamond Member

Re: article 48 treaty of rome

Post by Ben » Fri Jul 03, 2009 7:59 pm

noble72uk wrote:Hi Wet26

I’m sorry to hear that you‘ve been refused for the RC

<snip>
She has not been refused a RC.

She met an imbecilic IO who doesn't know the rules. Still, that's his problem, not hers.

Wet26 is now in the UK, lawfully resident, and should apply for her Residence Card of a family member of a Union citizen, to which she is entitled, within the next three months.

crukleeds
Newly Registered

Similar situation

Post by crukleeds » Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:48 pm

Hey,

Just been reading about the trauma you have had and im sorry to hear about it, Im in a similar situation to which you were in before.

Here is my story, I am a british citizen in spain with residency here, I have been working here for just under a year, I have been with my partner, who is venezuelan for over a year and married in april this year, He has RC as my spouse. We have applied for a FP and our appointment is at the end of august, however i am worrying he will not be granted one because there seems so many problems with the whole thing....

We have evidence of living together for the last year and i have my work contract etc...... I also pay my tax and social here in spain

Here in spain things seem easier than the UK because my partner benefits from my social i.e health etc. I want to return to my country, which i have the right and i have no intentions of leaving my partner here.....

Not sure what advise you could give but if you could please do....

wet26

Post by wet26 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:22 pm

Hey crukleeds,

From what you have posted, your partner should get the FP, but who knows. The people in Madrid are hopeless imo. The problem is that you go and hand in your documents and have the biometric data taken, and that's it. You don't get to talk to the person who is making the decision. You will not be able to enter the consulate in Madrid with your partner. Take the originals and copies of everything. They will keep the copies, but may or may not want to sight the originals.

My husband and I have been together for 18 months, but only married in June. You married in April, so maybe they will think yours is a marriage of convenience too.

The letter that you will write is very important. If I could turn back the clock, I would have made sure that my husband's letter included a copy of the Surinder Singh rule and how this rule applies to us. Maybe then I wouldn't have been refused because he is british. Also say in your letter why you got married, so they won't need to question it. Say in your letter where you intend to live and for how long, and what job you intend to take in England.

You need to prove where you are going to live too.

Let me know if i can be of further help and good luck.

----

I have decided to just go back to Australia and apply for a spouse visa. I am sick of applying for these things over here and I get so stressed out waiting for a reponse. Even though it's gonna be expensive, I get to see the family and have two summers this year. Hopefully I will be back in England for Christmas.

crukleeds
Newly Registered

thnx for replying

Post by crukleeds » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:37 pm

So did they say they thought it was a marriage of convenience???
and is that a reason why they refused????

Yeah i have just about all documents etc, and i will copy them, in the letter should i also say why i want to return?

Ben
Diamond Member

Post by Ben » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:38 pm

wet26 wrote:I have decided to just go back to Australia and apply for a spouse visa. I am sick of applying for these things over here and I get so stressed out waiting for a reponse. Even though it's gonna be expensive, I get to see the family and have two summers this year. Hopefully I will be back in England for Christmas.
Sorry to hear that. Before you leave the UK, think twice: you're currently lawfully resident in the UK, you're protected by EU regulations and not at the mercy of UK national laws, you currently have the same rights in the UK as an EEA national has, you don't have to submit as many personal documents as you would if you were to return on a Spouse Visa.

It's your call, but in my opinion you're about to leave a position that some people would love to be in, only to pay through the nose to be in a potentially less favourable position. However, it should be remembered that naturalisation can occur after 3 years if you have a Spouse Visa, rather than after 6 years if you go down the EEA route.

wet26

Post by wet26 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 5:02 pm

benifa - one thing I think is odd. When my passport was returned, it was endorsed with a "no work no recourse to public funds" stamp, which was struck through and handwritten endorsed in error. The second stamp is a "no recourse to public funds" stamp only. Different numbers for each stamp.

I didn't get a letter or anything, so I don't know 100% the terms of my entry... only what the woman said on the phone, which was that I couldn't work and I need to go back to Australia.

Also, I've had a look at the EEA2 app form and I can't see how it applies to me, because husband was not considered an EEA national...