ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

dd

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

guttu
Newly Registered

dd

Post by guttu » Tue Jun 30, 2009 5:42 pm

dcd
Last edited by guttu on Sat Jul 04, 2009 11:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Tue Jun 30, 2009 6:22 pm

Guttu,

They have the power to do that if they so choose, although it is done mostly in rear and suspicious cases.

It is just to verify your partner is leaving in the state as you claim.

It is nothing to worry about. It is just a routine.

Probably gives you the opportunity to express your disgust at the inefficient system.

Regards

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:30 am

Have to say I like the idea of the surprise checks.....in Italy it is done on a regular basis....to make sure they are not marriage of convenience!

Maybe with these checks they will speed up the application/waiting process?

knapps
Member of Standing

Post by knapps » Thu Jul 02, 2009 12:26 pm

ohh, i would very much like the idea.. they must do it as alot of people are not even living with wives....Great efforts finally they are doing something

sovtek

Post by sovtek » Thu Jul 02, 2009 5:57 pm

ciaramc wrote:Have to say I like the idea of the surprise checks.....in Italy it is done on a regular basis....to make sure they are not marriage of convenience!

Maybe with these checks they will speed up the application/waiting process?
It would be better than collectively punishing foreignors which is basically what they are doing now. This could be used to harrass people as well so I would be sceptical.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Jul 02, 2009 6:25 pm

sovtek wrote:
It would be better than collectively punishing foreignors which is basically what they are doing now. This could be used to harrass people as well so I would be sceptical.
I would have to agree with you Sovtek.

Any measures these people implement are aimed at making life more difficult for immigrant or non-eea family members of EU nationals.

Not to mention the invasion of your privacy.

I would say because of my disgust at these people and their inefficient implementation of laws, the sight of them in my home will make me throw up in disgust. It would be nice to use their visiting session to educate them on how to properly implement laws.

When i finish with them, i promise they will wish they had never stepped foot in my house.

Now they are hiding in their caves, no opportunity to speak to them about the unnecessary hardship they are causing us.

I have spent a fortune on transport going to that place with a letter the minister gave me to register . Each time i go there i am told to come again in two week . Strange breed of people.

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:07 pm

Sorry don't agree......

I know of loads of people that married just for documents....and that annoys me so much as my husband is bbeing punished as a result!!!

I think home chhecks that you are actually living with your spouse, is fair enough!!! If you are genuinely married...you have nothing to worry about! Sorry but that's my opinion!

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Thu Jul 02, 2009 9:34 pm

ciaramc wrote:Sorry don't agree......

I know of loads of people that married just for documents....and that annoys me so much as my husband is bbeing punished as a result!!!

I think home chhecks that you are actually living with your spouse, is fair enough!!! If you are genuinely married...you have nothing to worry about! Sorry but that's my opinion!
No one disagree with your opinions, but it is the intentions of the measure the Justice department are trying to implement that people are questioning.

The vast majority of marriages are not convenience, and the Immigration has shown complete disregard in their dealing with family members of EU national. Therefore people will be right to question their motives regardless.

In metock's case it wasn't because of Marriage of Convenience that the case was taken to court, but look at all the difficulties they caused to these people. The enormous hardship that was inflicted upon them, even though some of these people were married for years and had children. None of their refusals were due to marriage of convenience.

They are very competent in detecting marriages of convenience. They only use it as a means of punishing people unnecessarily.

Causing delays in dealing with files because they want to investigate whether marriage of convenience or not.

If the motives are simply for investigative purpose and will not cause undue delays and will speed the process up, 90% of the people in this forum will welcome it, believe you me.

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Fri Jul 03, 2009 8:00 am

Obie don't worry I don't mind if you or anyone else disagree with me that's the whole point of the forum....I still think it is not that bad that the DoJ are making house visits to make sure people are married! I know this is done in other countries.....and I wouldn't say the vast majority of marriages are not of convenience, alot of them are ...which makes it worse for all of us genuine couples!! Anyway let's agree to disagree! Lets just hope it does speed up the process!

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:30 am

Obie wrote:They have the power to do that if they so choose, although it is done mostly in rear and suspicious cases.
They can carry out some selective checks if they suspect fraud, but they can not do it "if they so choose". They have to have serious belief that there is fraud in the specific case.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Jul 03, 2009 12:42 pm

ciaramc wrote:Obie don't worry I don't mind if you or anyone else disagree with me that's the whole point of the forum....I still think it is not that bad that the DoJ are making house visits to make sure people are married! I know this is done in other countries.....and I wouldn't say the vast majority of marriages are not of convenience, alot of them are ...which makes it worse for all of us genuine couples!! Anyway let's agree to disagree! Lets just hope it does speed up the process!
Italy, UK and Denmark are already doing live interviews with applicant. It still doesn't stop them talking about so called increase in marriage of convenience and telling you "especially UK" that delays are due to checks they are trying to conduct.

They don't want to believe that their citizens can get married to people from third world countries.

If they had their way they will want to ban it altogether.

When you see the Irish Justice department letter to his Latvian counterpart, talking about statistically different cultural difference in Pakistani and Latvian couple, and that their love and relationship could not be due to chance. You get a clear picture of what's going on in their mind.

However if this will speed up the process and reduces Marriage of Conveniences, i support it fully.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Jul 03, 2009 1:52 pm

Obie wrote:When you see the Irish Justice department letter to his Latvian counterpart, talking about statistically different cultural difference in Pakistani and Latvian couple, and that their love and relationship could not be due to chance. You get a clear picture of what's going on in their mind.
Is this a specific public letter? Or an idea?

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:01 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote: Is this a specific public letter? Or an idea?
I don't think it is a public letter. It is a private letter, from which segment of it were extracted and quoted on an Irish broadsheet newspaper.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:17 pm

Is there a specific reference to it? Freedom of information requests are built on this sort of thing! And they are cheap!

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Jul 03, 2009 2:57 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:Is there a specific reference to it? Freedom of information requests are built on this sort of thing! And they are cheap!
I just found something on RTE news website that is similar to the Article i read on the newspaper.

My point was, simply using cultural difference as a basis for suspecting marriages of convenience , without any statistics or finding from investigation , is in itself questionable, and shows that they are displeased with EU national marrying to people from the Indian subcontinent or Africa.

That is my take. You will also find that people from the India /Africa subcontinent who get married to EU will be the potential victims of such measures. Just like the Stop & Search in UK and the Anti-terrorism laws.

http://www.rte.ie/news/2008/0925/marriage.html

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:32 pm

In the UK they have been stopping extra white people and women to make sure that they do not "disproportionately" stop asian looking men.

It is an amazing back-assed way of being "fair".

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Fri Jul 03, 2009 4:49 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:In the UK they have been stopping extra white people and women to make sure that they do not "disproportionately" stop asian looking men.

It is an amazing back-assed way of being "fair".
I know, it is quite ridiculous. I know the terrorism legislation is used to suppress political dissent as well. Like the elderly British man who was arrested in the UK after calling a minister at a trade union conference a liar.

In a society, their has to be law and order, but you cannot misuse these laws for cynical reason.