ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Obtaining Irish citizenship thru Naturalization

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

marialear

Obtaining Irish citizenship thru Naturalization

Post by marialear » Tue Aug 02, 2005 4:59 pm

Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone (anyone at all) has sucessfully gone through the Irish naturalization route - without having any Irish family connections or spouse or Irish-born child? I'm currently working here under the Work Permit scheme and am building up my 5 years residence requirement till I can apply in Spring 2006.

I have no Irish connection (well great,great,great grandparents too far back to use :) ), nor Irish spouse nor Irish children. I will be applying on my own validity using the 5 yr residence + working legally & paying my taxes route. I've no criminal record (not here or home in Newfoundland) and I've my own private health insurance and have never been on government assistance.

I've read all the formal/legal information that I can get my hands on, reviewed all requirements and have done sample copies of the Form 8 - Irish naturalization application form. I've been made aware through speaking with the crowd at the Dept of Justice that it is currently taking 2 years to complete the process and, in appreciation of such lengthly timeframe, am trying to eliminate any potential problems that may arise well before my time comes to apply.

So, if anyone out there has a story or experience to share on the naturalization process, please do so. I'm all ears to any tid-bits of info or hints or suggestions. Considering the 24 month timeframe, I want to do this once and do it right! :)

Thanks in advance

Regards,
Maria

mktsoi
Member of Standing

any luck?

Post by mktsoi » Sat Sep 17, 2005 8:37 pm

hi maria. i am trying to apply irish citizenship thru naturalization as well. have you got any info about this yet? if you have, can u let me know as well? the other question i have is about work authorization. i was on work permit for 2 years and i am on my first work authorization now and it is going to expire this december. do you know how to renew wa? or are you on work permit? when i renew my wa, do i have to go back to dept foreign affairs to get a new wa first then to garda to renew my permission to remain? or i go to the garda only and renew my permission to remain only? also, they said i have to bring my current p60 to show the gardai before they renew my permission to remain. i was wondering. i dont have a p60, if i bring a p21(the balance statement for particular year of taxes i paid, let say it is for last year). would the p21 be good enough for the garda? i was out of the country for few months as well this year. will this get me into trouble for renewing my permission to remain if the garda knows i wasnt in the country for awhile?

thankx
MK

marialear

Post by marialear » Mon Sep 19, 2005 9:25 am

Hi,

Well, I'm on the work permit myself so I'm not sure of the renewal requirements of the work authorization. If you contact the Dept of Enterprise, Trade & Employment at www.entemp.ie I'm sure they will help you out. They have full contact details on that website homepage if you want to phone, email or drop-in in person. If you are in Dublin (or can travel to it easily), I'd suggest visiting them personally with all your documents and questions. An actual person is more difficult to brush off then simply not answering your phone call or email. And once you get speaking to someone, you can ask them all the questions you want.

I've gotten all the formal naturalization requirements on the Dept of Justice website www.justice.ie. Follow the links on the Site Guide option for citizenship and download From 8 (for adults). They have a full list of what is required document wise and other.

Good luck,

Maria