ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

10 years rule for ILR application (old passport missing)

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

chicuk
Newly Registered

10 years rule for ILR application (old passport missing)

Post by chicuk » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:39 pm

Hello everyone:
I am a fresh visitor to this forum and has been gathering lots of information for my application and I am sure will help lot for my application.

Now, I have a question for some guru here. I arrived uk on July 1999 for my BA and MA studies then switched to WP which valid until May 2011. I knew that I actually can apply ILR base on 10 years rule( As I don't have any gap on visas) this month.

but, one thing has been worrying me that I did not have two old passports which cover my stay in UK from 1999 until 2003. Do you guys think it will be a problem for me to apply ILR???

thanks for reading and hope to get some answer and helps.

vinny

Re: 10 years rule for ILR application (old passport missing)

Post by vinny » Fri Jul 03, 2009 11:52 pm

chicuk wrote:but, one thing has been worrying me that I did not have two old passports which cover my stay in UK from 1999 until 2003. Do you guys think it will be a problem for me to apply ILR???

Where are the two old passports? Can you prove that you were in the UK and are eligible under Long Residence?

Request your SAR file.
This is not intended to be legal or professional advice in any jurisdiction. Please click on any given links for further information. Refer to the source of any quotes.
We do not inherit the Earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children.

chicuk
Newly Registered

Post by chicuk » Sat Jul 04, 2009 12:32 am

they get lost and that period I was in full time BA degree course which I have original BA certificate with me and will it help??

magsi23
Member of Standing

Post by magsi23 » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:05 am

You need to provide UKBA with some evidence that you entered on the date you say you entered. Do you have any Home Office correspondence etc. for that period?
Magsi

bani

Post by bani » Sat Jul 04, 2009 10:24 am

You can apply for ILR by post and explain the lost passports. They should have a record of your entries into the UK.

Or if you want to do it in person, you need to get your SAR file as Vinny suggested and take this with you to your ILR appointment.

Good luck.

Swan

Post by Swan » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:42 pm

chicuk wrote:Hello everyone:
I am a fresh visitor to this forum and has been gathering lots of information for my application and I am sure will help lot for my application.

Now, I have a question for some guru here. I arrived uk on July 1999 for my BA and MA studies then switched to WP which valid until May 2011. I knew that I actually can apply ILR base on 10 years rule( As I don't have any gap on visas) this month.

but, one thing has been worrying me that I did not have two old passports which cover my stay in UK from 1999 until 2003. Do you guys think it will be a problem for me to apply ILR???

try your best to provide any proofs of your stay during the time covered by your missing passports, not to scare you but a friend of mine applied in April in person after 10 years long residency, her application was not taken on the day because she didn't have her first passport that showed the date of her first entry to the UK , she did have her police regsitration certificate that shows when she registered, the PEO officer refused to accept that and said to her: How can I track your ins and outs of the country during teh time covered by your first passport? She did have her SAR report but surprisingly, they didn't have a record of her first entry on her system..at the end they asked her to apply by post, she took a lawyer and applied by post and is still waiting ..

the SAR report will only show the visa applications and granting dates, it will not show your travel out of the country, so try to gather other proofs like bank statements showing transactions made by you during that period, phone bills etc and explain it in the covering letter

good luck

bani

Post by bani » Sun Jul 05, 2009 8:56 pm

The SAR report will give you all copies of your landing cards, but you have to ask for them specifically. When you make a request, write a letter specifying what you need. Of course, the landing card doesn't prove when you left the UK, but if you have a copy of the tickets/receipts, they will have the UK departure part.

I asked for my first landing card (first passport I used in the UK was stolen) and the SAR report gave me that.

lboro

Post by lboro » Mon Jul 06, 2009 9:59 am

bani wrote:The SAR report will give you all copies of your landing cards, but you have to ask for them specifically. When you make a request, write a letter specifying what you need. Of course, the landing card doesn't prove when you left the UK, but if you have a copy of the tickets/receipts, they will have the UK departure part.

I asked for my first landing card (first passport I used in the UK was stolen) and the SAR report gave me that.
HO is not consistent, some SAR files have landing cards and some dont! For me, I specifically asked for landing cards and they said no record! luckily they have clearly stated the first date I arrived in UK

lboro

Post by lboro » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:03 am

Swan wrote:
try your best to provide any proofs of your stay during the time covered by your missing passports, not to scare you but a friend of mine applied in April in person after 10 years long residency, her application was not taken on the day because she didn't have her first passport that showed the date of her first entry to the UK , she did have her police regsitration certificate that shows when she registered, the PEO officer refused to accept that and said to her: How can I track your ins and outs of the country during teh time covered by your first passport? She did have her SAR report but surprisingly, they didn't have a record of her first entry on her system..at the end they asked her to apply by post, she took a lawyer and applied by post and is still waiting ..

the SAR report will only show the visa applications and granting dates, it will not show your travel out of the country, so try to gather other proofs like bank statements showing transactions made by you during that period, phone bills etc and explain it in the covering letter

good luck
Hello Swan, when did you friend send her application by post? could you please share with us the outcome when she gets any corresponding from HO? Thanks

lboro

Post by lboro » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:16 am

Which day exactly in July did you arrive in UK? You were actually eligible to apply 28 days befor that, which that was some time in June...
When did you course start? I think you need a letter from University confirming the start date and end date of your course(s) and that it was full time (They wont accept certificate as it doesn't state the start date and full time status).
Other ways to confirm you were in the in country could be - date you open UK bank account, date you registered with a GP, the date you arrive in UK (Some airline, e.g. KLM can write a letter confirming that you were in their flight which arrived in UK at a certain date - if they still have ur details in archive). Please share your experience with us once you are in correspondence with HO.

chicuk
Newly Registered

Post by chicuk » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:57 am

thanks for everyone who has been answering my question. they are very helpful and I will sure update my application one I got more news from HO

saurya_s

Post by saurya_s » Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:34 pm

Are you applying for ILR in person? Which office you are planning to go?
Thanks

Swan

Post by Swan » Wed Jul 08, 2009 6:52 pm

lboro wrote:
Swan wrote:

good luck
Hello Swan, when did you friend send her application by post? could you please share with us the outcome when she gets any corresponding from HO? Thanks
lboro
she sent it end of april before the 30th, the most frustrating thing is, as soon as they got the application they took the money but never sent her an ackowledgement letter of receipt of application and she is now battling to get that as her employer wants proof that she is not illegal..it's really unecceptable, she called many times all they say is we cannot help you, you need to wait and that they don't always send acknowledgement letters! she is now going to get her MP involved..how ridiculous!

I will update you when she hears from them !

jtwungg
Newly Registered

Post by jtwungg » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:45 pm

With my experience after applying by post and still waiting two years to date I would advice you to go and attend an interview in person, they should have your records, hopefully.