ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

ILR (JR) Success - PEO Croydon- WP+HSMP self employed

Only for queries regarding Indefinite Leave to Remain (ILR). Please use the EU Settlement Scheme forum for queries about settled status under Appendix EU

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

itsme
Member of Standing

ILR (JR) Success - PEO Croydon- WP+HSMP self employed

Post by itsme » Thu Jun 18, 2009 12:49 am

ILR (JR)-PEO-Croydon Experience-WP+HSMP Self employed

Friends, Thanks a lot for all the members who has posted there PEO experience. Got my ILR today from PEO Croydon, it was bit nerve cracking until I got my passports with ILR stamped on it. Check my elaborative experience in this lengthy post.

Entered UK on work permit - Jun 2005. Got HSMP in Oct 2005 for 1 year initially followed by 4 years extension in Oct 06
Left Work permits Company and started working on HSMP from Dec 05. Currently self employed with my own limited company from past 20 months.

My sincere thanks go to this forum which has been supporting me from past 5 years whenever I need and to HSMP forum ltd for fighting back the retrospective changes and nice clarification on the effects of JR.

I am sure PEO experience would be quite pleasant for Permanent employees unlike contractors/ self employed.

Initially due to time constraints and lack of appointments availability at PEO I’ve used services of solicitor – it wasn’t fruitful (from his words) due to lack of some documents related to my initial WP employment (like P45, Letter from that employer etc...) PEO hasn’t accepted the application…. This was completely shocking to me, as I have P60 /bank statements/pay slips for all 3.5 years and economically active. Later on, decided to represent myself and booked appointment at PEO- Croydon ( had to call PEO several times during the day for around 10 days) Be sure you book appointment for all your dependants as well and mention this to the PEO Customer care person.

Booked appointment for myself + dependant wife. Dependants no need to accompany with you at PEO.

My appointment was at 9:15 and reached PEO by around 8:20. Completed airport style security checks and waited in queue for around 25 mins. They checked my application and asked for my 4 years bank statements and P60’s. Later on went to 1st floor to make payment. Been informed to wait in the interview area in 1st floor where caseworker will interview me.
There is only one waiting area for biometric and ILR/FLR and other appointments, I had to listen very carefully for my ticket number announcement as there isn’t any display.

At 9:30 my number was called out and I met caseworker. He asked for all my 4 years P60 and letter from my employer, gave him letter from my accountant and explained I am self employed. My experience wasn’t so pleasant with him and I feel he was bit gibberish, he claims to have better understanding on how Limited company works and accounts submission to HMRC etc, but in reality he doesn’t. Explained profit/loss balance sheet, but he was insisting official letters of company tax payment to HMRC and official proof of Dividend payments. Wasn’t ready to accept online forms like Self Assessment showing whole year payments/dividends received etc. Shown him all my latest company accounts and explained that my accountant file everything online including P35 etc. Luckily I carried all communication received from HMRC & Self assessment payment copies I received. Unfortunately missed to carry my 2007-08 company accounts and showed him business bank statements and self assessment and P60 along with pay slips and personal bank statements. He wasn’t ready to accept my dividend slips (normal A4 printouts with company director/secretary signatures) and queried how I am drawing very less salary when compared to my earlier permanent employment. It was really a Herculean task to explain and showed various supportive documents on how Limited company works. At this junction he got bit irritated and went to see his seniors along with all the documents for their opinion. Finally around 10:45 he informed me to come back to the same counter after 30 mins. He gave all my documents back and told to come after 2 hours for decision. I was really tensed and pissed off and not sure what’s gonna happen. At any point I wasn’t willing for a postal application, if they can’t decide on same day.

Went out and came back within an hour and enquired about my ticket number at Customer care desk at Counter 16/17 and happy to see our passports with sweet cute ILR stamp on it. The guy at this counter is very cordial and congratulated on achieving ILR, said to verify the names / details on the stamp before leaving the premises.
Huh… by and large it’s mixed experience, but all is well that ends well ï
Last edited by itsme on Sat Jun 20, 2009 11:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
You Can Win. Believe in Yourself.
---

bani

Post by bani » Thu Jun 18, 2009 1:24 am

Congratulations on getting ILR! Sorry to hear it was such an ordeal, but thank you for the very informative post, it's very helpful for me. My appointment at Croydon is 13 July for ILR through 4 years HSMP (JR).

justice_will_reign
Member of Standing

Post by justice_will_reign » Thu Jun 18, 2009 9:14 am

I'm sure it all worth the stress and congratulations!

Sten

Post by Sten » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:12 am

Thanks, that was very helpful.

One question, what is "official letters of company tax payment to HMRC", normally my accountant sends me a letter where he advises me how much to pay to HMRC, I logon to business banking and make the payment, there are no receipts ?

Could you post a template of the accountant's letter (obviously removing personal info / numbers) ?
Good luck !

Jk2007
BANNED

Re: ILR (JR) Success - PEO Croydon- WP+HSMP self employed

Post by Jk2007 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:15 am

itsme wrote:He was insisting official letters of company tax payment to HMRC and official proof of Dividend payments. Wasn’t ready to accept online forms like Self Assessment showing whole year payments/dividends received etc. [...] He wasn’t ready to accept my dividend slips (normal A4 printouts with company director/secretary signatures)
itsme,

Congratulations on your ILR success. Your post is very helpful.

(1) If they are not accepting the dividend slips (normal A4 printouts with company director/secretary signatures), any idea what evidence he was expecting as proof of dividend payments?

(2) Regarding letter from HMRC on company tax payments (is this corporation tax payments?), it appears that HMRC does not normally provide any receipts for the payments made. They only issue a demand slip requesting for payment and they advise that one needs to keep the bank statements as proof of payment made. Did you receive any receipts from HMRC on payments made?

(3) Regarding self assessment, my accountant simply sends me a printout of online submission of self assessment. If they are not accepting the printout of online submission, I do not understand, how we can submit anything other than this?

iyanu
Member of Standing
Nigeria

Post by iyanu » Thu Jun 18, 2009 10:54 am

Congrats itsme! You certainly have done well with your vivid and apt description of your experience in Croydon PEO.

itsme
Member of Standing

Post by itsme » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:43 pm

itsme,

(1) If they are not accepting the dividend slips (normal A4 printouts with company director/secretary signatures), any idea what evidence he was expecting as proof of dividend payments?

- He is always insisting to show proof of tax paid officially letter from HMRC. So dividend payment slip hasnt been taken into consideration.

(2) Regarding letter from HMRC on company tax payments (is this corporation tax payments?), it appears that HMRC does not normally provide any receipts for the payments made. They only issue a demand slip requesting for payment and they advise that one needs to keep the bank statements as proof of payment made. Did you receive any receipts from HMRC on payments made?

samething here, it took very long time and patience to explain him, but he wasnt willing to accept my words instead he said "just answer my questions, dont tell anything beyond that" ( it was rude, but i had to oblige).

(3) Regarding self assessment, my accountant simply sends me a printout of online submission of self assessment. If they are not accepting the printout of online submission, I do not understand, how we can submit anything other than this?[/quote]

i file my self assessment and took printouts of all the years i filed. Explained him that and tried to show the dividends received column and matched that with my accounts summary filed by accountant. Explained that my wife is a secretary and dividends are shared among both of us
---

Jk2007
BANNED

Post by Jk2007 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:49 pm

Thanks itsme. Your replies are very helpful.

Jk2007
BANNED

Post by Jk2007 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 4:56 pm

itsme wrote:..tried to show the dividends received column and matched that with my accounts summary filed by accountant.
My limited company's tax year is different from my personal tax year. So the dividend amount shown in my company's accounts will not match with the dividends shown in the self assessment, because the periods are different. I don't know how I can manage explaining this.. :(

itsme
Member of Standing

Post by itsme » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:32 pm

Jk2007 wrote:
itsme wrote:..tried to show the dividends received column and matched that with my accounts summary filed by accountant.
My limited company's tax year is different from my personal tax year. So the dividend amount shown in my company's accounts will not match with the dividends shown in the self assessment, because the periods are different. I don't know how I can manage explaining this.. :(

ohh, hope you will get a nice caseworker who can understand the situation.anyway i still advice every self employed ILR applicant to choose non-Croydon PEO if possible. Even couple of solicitors informed me this and voted Sheffield the best.

My advice if you choose Croydon.. carry all the HMRC communication letters you receive(whatever be it). In think in my case the "self assesment statement" letter from HMRC rescued me.
---

ps_79
Newly Registered

Post by ps_79 » Mon Jun 29, 2009 10:41 pm

Hi Itsme,

thanks for sharing your story.

What did you for that period when you were on secondment ?

Did they ask you for any proof ?

my secondment was for a year on a WP and I dont have any proofs for that .

ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

hamidhsn
Newly Registered

Post by hamidhsn » Tue Jun 30, 2009 1:21 pm

itsme wrote:itsme,

- He is always insisting to show proof of tax paid officially letter from HMRC. So dividend payment slip hasnt been taken into consideration.

samething here, it took very long time and patience to explain him, but he wasnt willing to accept my words instead he said "just answer my questions, dont tell anything beyond that" ( it was rude, but i had to oblige).

(3) Regarding self assessment, my accountant simply sends me a printout of online submission of self assessment. If they are not accepting the printout of online submission, I do not understand, how we can submit anything other than this?
i file my self assessment and took printouts of all the years i filed. Explained him that and tried to show the dividends received column and matched that with my accounts summary filed by accountant. Explained that my wife is a secretary and dividends are shared among both of us[/quote]

My ILR is due in Sept 2009 and looking to book Same day appointment in July as they give at least a month time for interview. I have following scenario:
- Was working as permanent employee till Aug 2008
- Started own company and working as contractor since Aug 2008 (gonna file accounts in July/Aug).

I have following queries:

- Can I show my self as employee of my company instead of showing as director and then all company doc and tax returns hell. Am currently withdrawing 24k pa.
- I thrown away previous payslips, bank statements and left with only appx 18 months payslips. I can get previous bank statements from bank (hope so). Where as i have all P60 and P45. Is that enough ?
- Regarding company letter, do i need to get latest from my previous companies mentioning dates etc ?

I will be grateful I you can explain using your enormous experience. Can you send reply at hamidhsn at gmail dot com (Thanks)

1-

blue.olive

3.5WP+ 1.5 HSMP (Salary + self employed)

Post by blue.olive » Wed Jul 01, 2009 11:07 am

Thank you for sharing your experience at Croydon
My ILR is due in Mar 2010 and i am scared tht i might end up in new rules of immigration :)
Can you kindly guide me on salary issue
is there any minimum amount of salary required for ILR
I use to work for a company and due to the economic downfall company reduced its operations our salaries were cut to half
i set up my private ltd company and start working through that company as well.

Areas where i need your guidance :

1. Is there any minimum amount of salary required for ILR ?

2. What ever my company is making , i kept it in company , is it necessary that i withdraw salary or dividend ?

3. Do u think i will get my ILR according to old rules or do i have go through earner citizenship.

Olive

itsme wrote:itsme,

i file my self assessment and took printouts of all the years i filed. Explained him that and tried to show the dividends received column and matched that with my accounts summary filed by accountant. Explained that my wife is a secretary and dividends are shared among both of us[/quote]

itsme
Member of Standing

Post by itsme » Wed Jul 01, 2009 9:57 pm

ps_79 wrote:Hi Itsme,

thanks for sharing your story.

What did you for that period when you were on secondment ?

Did they ask you for any proof ?

my secondment was for a year on a WP and I dont have any proofs for that .

ANy help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

i was in same boat as you, but off late i received letter from HMRC to pay tax for the duration i worked for that company. After lenghthy conversations with the UK based guyz of the company i got a P60(SUB) from them and proper self assessment but NO P45. The caseworker havent asked those documents as the duration is only first 6 months of my entry into UK . I have taken all other P60 for 4 years salary slips/bank statements.
---

itsme
Member of Standing

Post by itsme » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:13 pm

My ILR is due in Sept 2009 and looking to book Same day appointment in July as they give at least a month time for interview. I have following scenario:
- Was working as permanent employee till Aug 2008
- Started own company and working as contractor since Aug 2008 (gonna file accounts in July/Aug).

I have following queries:

- Can I show my self as employee of my company instead of showing as director and then all company doc and tax returns hell. Am currently withdrawing 24k pa.
I don't think so you can show as a regular employee...anyway plz check with others.

- I thrown away previous payslips, bank statements and left with only appx 18 months payslips. I can get previous bank statements from bank (hope so). Where as i have all P60 and P45. Is that enough ?
- Regarding company letter, do i need to get latest from my previous companies mentioning dates etc ?

if you have P60's / P45 that's more than suffice for initial years also get those bank statements wherever you can. Reg. letters from employers you just need to get from current employer with your designation,salary,employer ID etc... if you have letters from previous employers thats fine if not just ignore..no worries

I will be grateful I you can explain using your enormous experience. Can you send reply at hamidhsn at gmail dot com (Thanks)

yes check my answers in BOLD
---

itsme
Member of Standing

Re: 3.5WP+ 1.5 HSMP (Salary + self employed)

Post by itsme » Wed Jul 01, 2009 10:18 pm

blue.olive wrote:Thank you for sharing your experience at Croydon
My ILR is due in Mar 2010 and i am scared tht i might end up in new rules of immigration :)
I use to work for a company and due to the economic downfall company reduced its operations our salaries were cut to half

2. What ever my company is making , i kept it in company , is it necessary that i withdraw salary or dividend ?

3. Do u think i will get my ILR according to old rules or do i have go through earner citizenship.

Olive
Check answers below.
1. No
2. No need to withdraw dividend its not mandatory
3. it depends when your initial HSMP approval is before April 2006.
just collect all the documents for your Limited company be it any letter from HMRC contract/invoices/VAT payment copies / bank statements etc... you'll be fine.
---

dshahida
Newly Registered

Post by dshahida » Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:49 pm

Dear Itsme,

Firstly Congrats.....

Could you kindly give me your email address as my case is exactly simmilar to your one.

As i need to ask some questions so I will be very grateful for your help and guidance.

my email address is: dshahida_b@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance and Kind regards,

dshahida.

[quote="itsme"]ILR (JR)-PEO-Croydon Experience-WP+HSMP Self employed

Friends, Thanks a lot for all the members who has posted there PEO experience. Got my ILR today from PEO Croydon, it was bit nerve cracking until I got my passports with ILR stamped on it. Check my elaborative experience in this lengthy post.

Entered UK on work permit - Jun 2005. Got HSMP in Oct 2005 for 1 year initially followed by 4 years extension in Oct 06
Left Work permits Company and started working on HSMP from Dec 05. Currently self employed with my own limited company from past 20 months.

My sincere thanks go to this forum which has been supporting me from past 5 years whenever I need and to HSMP forum ltd for fighting back the retrospective changes and nice clarification on the effects of JR.

I am sure PEO experience would be quite pleasant for Permanent employees unlike contractors/ self employed.

Initially due to time constraints and lack of appointments availability at PEO I’ve used services of solicitor – it wasn’t fruitful (from his words) due to lack of some documents related to my initial WP employment (like P45, Letter from that employer etc...) PEO hasn’t accepted the application…. This was completely shocking to me, as I have P60 /bank statements/pay slips for all 3.5 years and economically active. Later on, decided to represent myself and booked appointment at PEO- Croydon ( had to call PEO several times during the day for around 10 days) Be sure you book appointment for all your dependants as well and mention this to the PEO Customer care person.

Booked appointment for myself + dependant wife. Dependants no need to accompany with you at PEO.

My appointment was at 9:15 and reached PEO by around 8:20. Completed airport style security checks and waited in queue for around 25 mins. They checked my application and asked for my 4 years bank statements and P60’s. Later on went to 1st floor to make payment. Been informed to wait in the interview area in 1st floor where caseworker will interview me.
There is only one waiting area for biometric and ILR/FLR and other appointments, I had to listen very carefully for my ticket number announcement as there isn’t any display.

At 9:30 my number was called out and I met caseworker. He asked for all my 4 years P60 and letter from my employer, gave him letter from my accountant and explained I am self employed. My experience wasn’t so pleasant with him and I feel he was bit gibberish, he claims to have better understanding on how Limited company works and accounts submission to HMRC etc, but in reality he doesn’t. Explained profit/loss balance sheet, but he was insisting official letters of company tax payment to HMRC and official proof of Dividend payments. Wasn’t ready to accept online forms like Self Assessment showing whole year payments/dividends received etc. Shown him all my latest company accounts and explained that my accountant file everything online including P35 etc. Luckily I carried all communication received from HMRC & Self assessment payment copies I received. Unfortunately missed to carry my 2007-08 company accounts and showed him business bank statements and self assessment and P60 along with pay slips and personal bank statements. He wasn’t ready to accept my dividend slips (normal A4 printouts with company director/secretary signatures) and queried how I am drawing very less salary when compared to my earlier permanent employment. It was really a Herculean task to explain and showed various supportive documents on how Limited company works. At this junction he got bit irritated and went to see his seniors along with all the documents for their opinion. Finally around 10:45 he informed me to come back to the same counter after 30 mins. He gave all my documents back and told to come after 2 hours for decision. I was really tensed and pissed off and not sure what’s gonna happen. At any point I wasn’t willing for a postal application, if they can’t decide on same day.

Went out and came back within an hour and enquired about my ticket number at Customer care desk at Counter 16/17 and happy to see our passports with sweet cute ILR stamp on it. The guy at this counter is very cordial and congratulated on achieving ILR, said to verify the names / details on the stamp before leaving the premises.

itsme
Member of Standing

Post by itsme » Sat Jul 04, 2009 4:08 pm

dshahida wrote:Dear Itsme,

Firstly Congrats.....

Could you kindly give me your email address as my case is exactly simmilar to your one.

As i need to ask some questions so I will be very grateful for your help and guidance.

my email address is: dshahida_b@yahoo.com

Thanks in advance and Kind regards,

dshahida.
check your email
---

blue.olive

Re: 3.5WP+ 1.5 HSMP (Salary + self employed)

Post by blue.olive » Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:12 pm

Thank you
itsme wrote:
blue.olive wrote:Thank you for sharing your experience at Croydon

Olive
Check answers below.
1. No
2. No need to withdraw dividend its not mandatory
3. it depends when your initial HSMP approval is before April 2006.
just collect all the documents for your Limited company be it any letter from HMRC contract/invoices/VAT payment copies / bank statements etc... you'll be fine.

mandykan
Newly Registered

Post by mandykan » Thu Jul 23, 2009 6:57 pm

itsme wrote:ILR (JR)-PEO-Croydon Experience-WP+HSMP Self employed

HI Itsme, thanks a lot for the sharing of experience. May I ask if the case worker was serious to check your wife's length of residency in the UK or stamps in her passports? Or, was he mainly concerned whether you had fulfilled the residency requirements?
Thanks a lot!

itsme
Member of Standing

Post by itsme » Thu Jul 23, 2009 7:56 pm

mandykan wrote:
itsme wrote:ILR (JR)-PEO-Croydon Experience-WP+HSMP Self employed

HI Itsme, thanks a lot for the sharing of experience. May I ask if the case worker was serious to check your wife's length of residency in the UK or stamps in her passports? Or, was he mainly concerned whether you had fulfilled the residency requirements?
Thanks a lot!
ya, he has scrutinized each and every stamp (exit/entry to UK) on my wife's passport as well.
---

shivuu006

Post by shivuu006 » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:41 am

Hi

I have couple of questions regarding ILR

Is there any separate application form for Dependents apart from SET-O
Do we need to specify the absent dates for dependents in the application form

Is any cover letter required for in person

Thanks

itsme
Member of Standing

Post by itsme » Fri Jul 24, 2009 10:44 am

shivuu006 wrote:Hi

I have couple of questions regarding ILR

Is there any separate application form for Dependents apart from SET-O
Do we need to specify the absent dates for dependents in the application form

Is any cover letter required for in person

Thanks
1) No
2) No such column for dependant
3) Not required generally
---

roopscisco

Post by roopscisco » Mon Aug 17, 2009 9:24 am

Hey can i have your email id pls ? as i have got few things to clarify ?
i can be reached via ysruban@yahoo.com

Thanks.

[quote="itsme"]ILR (JR)-PEO-Croydon Experience-WP+HSMP Self employed

Roopscisco.