ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

IIM Post Graduate Diploma - is this recognized for Tier 1

Archived UK Tier 1 (General) points system forum. This route no longer exists.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

krantik
Newly Registered

IIM Post Graduate Diploma - is this recognized for Tier 1

Post by krantik » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:20 pm

Hi,

I'm slightly confused about whether or not a Post Graduate Diploma in Management from an Indian Institute of Management (IIM) is recognized by the Home Office as a masters course that qualifies with 35 points.

I checked the point based calculator a month back and it gave me the required 35 points. However when I checked today (2 days before submitting my application) with the same criteria it says 0 points.

Can anyone please confirm if it's accepted or not and if there has been any change in policy recently?

If its not accepted by the home office - is a NARIC certification the only option?

Thanks for all the help.
KD

nksg

Re: IIM Post Graduate Diploma - is this recognized for Tier

Post by nksg » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:30 pm

Did you attach the result of PBS calculator with the application? if yes, you might be safe but if no.. in that case you wont get any points for qualification....

Bit strange as PGD from a reputed UK university is not considered as UK masters equivalent (atleast not mine when i had PGD later upgraded to masters degree).
krantik wrote:Hi,

I'm slightly confused about whether or not a Post Graduate Diploma in Management from an Indian Institute of Management (IIM) is recognized by the Home Office as a masters course that qualifies with 35 points.

I checked the point based calculator a month back and it gave me the required 35 points. However when I checked today (2 days before submitting my application) with the same criteria it says 0 points.

Can anyone please confirm if it's accepted or not and if there has been any change in policy recently?

If its not accepted by the home office - is a NARIC certification the only option?

Thanks for all the help.
KD

krantik
Newly Registered

Post by krantik » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:46 pm

I haven't yet applied so thats some consolation
I've listed below out the criteria I am inputting for the qualification points -

Country - India
State - Uttar Pradesh
Institute - Indian Institute of Management, Lucknow
Qualification - Post Graduate Diploma
Lenght of course - 1 year or less than 2 years
Year of Award - 2003

The exact same search gave me 35 points till about 3 weeks back and now it shows 0 - not only does it show 0 for IIM Lucknow but it also does not award point for any of the IIM's - not sure if this is a policy change or a issue with the website....

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Re: IIM Post Graduate Diploma - is this recognized for Tier

Post by ChetanOjha » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:47 pm

krantik wrote:Hi,

Thanks for all the help.
KD
This is quite strange. I checked the same few days back. You can contact HO for the same before applying fpr NARIC and see what they say about it. Besides, do you have a pdf of the last self assessment you did with IIM considered? You can attach the same in your email to HO for reference.

krantik
Newly Registered

Post by krantik » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:52 pm

Thanks.
Unfortunately I don't have any screenshots of the previous attempts at the PBS. Do plan to call the home office but not sure if they can help as they sinmply repeat the line that 'if its in the PBS then its fine else its not' :)

Interestingly if I select Master's degree as the qualification with the rest of the parameters the same then it gives me the requried 35 points. Should I think of submitting the application under Masters Degree even if my certificate says 'Post Graduate Diploma'?

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:57 pm

krantik wrote:Thanks.
Unfortunately I don't have any screenshots of the previous attempts at the PBS. Do plan to call the home office but not sure if they can help as they sinmply repeat the line that 'if its in the PBS then its fine else its not' :)

Interestingly if I select Master's degree as the qualification with the rest of the parameters the same then it gives me the requried 35 points. Should I think of submitting the application under Masters Degree even if my certificate says 'Post Graduate Diploma'?
In that case worth spending small amount for NARIC letter instead of taking risk with your application.

krantik
Newly Registered

Post by krantik » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:18 pm

Thanks.
Any ideas whether NARIC certification is a sure shot thing for post graduate diploma from an IIM?

nksg

Post by nksg » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:25 pm

Well if NARIC says your qualification is equal to UK masters, UKBA will allocate you the points automatically...

But i doubt that personally as UKBA points calculator gets all the data from NARIC.. best is if you email UKBA (as chetan said) and check along with sending request to NARIC..
Any ideas whether NARIC certification is a sure shot thing for post graduate diploma from an IIM?

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:26 pm

If PGDM is not mentioned in the PBS list, NARIC is the only shot i would say.

krantik
Newly Registered

Post by krantik » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:31 pm

Thanks guys. Will email and call the home office helpline and also keep trying on the PBS (with the hope that this is a website issue). Will get NARIC certification in the meanwhile and postpone application for some time now :(

On a related point - assuming that the PGDM thing is sorted out with NARIC, can I provide my bachelors degree qualification as the proof of english language i.e. have two seperate degrees for qualification and english language proof?

Thanks,
KD

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Post by ChetanOjha » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:32 pm

krantik wrote:On a related point - assuming that the PGDM thing is sorted out with NARIC, can I provide my bachelors degree qualification as the proof of english language i.e. have two seperate degrees for qualification and english language proof?

Thanks,
KD
Yes you can.

krantik
Newly Registered

Post by krantik » Mon Jul 06, 2009 3:40 pm

Many thanks for your help.
I've just emailed the UK BA enquiries desk and hope to hear from them :)

Munmun
Newly Registered

Problem with Post Graduate Diploma qualifications

Post by Munmun » Thu Jul 09, 2009 12:59 pm

Hi Kranthik,

I also had a similar problem. I checked today in teh calculator and it is giving me 0 points but somedays earlier, it was giving me 35 points for the same qualification(post graduate diploma).
I got the letter from NARIC which has specified my Qualification as Master's degree but I am still not sure because generally NARIC letter comes into play when the college or qualification is not in the calculator. In our case, it is showing in the calculator with 0 points

Again If I fill it up as Master's degree, it is giving me 35 points but if I fill it up as Post Graduate diploma it is giving me 0 points.
Don't know what to fill up in the application form now.

Senior members, Please advise!!!

ChetanOjha
United Kingdom

Re: Problem with Post Graduate Diploma qualifications

Post by ChetanOjha » Thu Jul 09, 2009 1:24 pm

Munmun wrote:Hi Kranthik,

I also had a similar problem. I checked today in teh calculator and it is giving me 0 points but somedays earlier, it was giving me 35 points for the same qualification(post graduate diploma).
I got the letter from NARIC which has specified my Qualification as Master's degree but I am still not sure because generally NARIC letter comes into play when the college or qualification is not in the calculator. In our case, it is showing in the calculator with 0 points

Again If I fill it up as Master's degree, it is giving me 35 points but if I fill it up as Post Graduate diploma it is giving me 0 points.

If NARIC has considered your qualification equivalent to Masters, you will be fine.

Munmun
Newly Registered

Re: Problem with Post Graduate Diploma qualifications

Post by Munmun » Thu Jul 09, 2009 4:16 pm

Thanks a lot..... I am a happy bird now.. :)
chetanojha wrote:
Munmun wrote:Hi Kranthik,

If NARIC has considered your qualification equivalent to Masters, you will be fine.

srirags

Post by srirags » Thu Jul 09, 2009 8:54 pm

Munmun, congratson getting the NARIC!!!

I've got a doubt for filling the application form. Qualification is listed in the calculator.

So can't select Qualification not in the points calcluator but NARIC Enclosed in the case of initial application and NARIC enclosed during initial approval for extn application.. in my case its an extension application

Am I correct? which option to select?

pawan0603
Newly Registered

Post by pawan0603 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:01 pm

Last edited by pawan0603 on Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:05 pm

NARIC used to provide letters saying IIM PGDM is equivalent to Masters. I have one for IIMB.
regards,
push
Important: Please read this Disclaimer

pawan0603
Newly Registered

Post by pawan0603 » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:09 pm

Last edited by pawan0603 on Sat Oct 03, 2009 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Tue Jul 21, 2009 10:15 pm

pawan0603 wrote:Thanks Push.. but did you apply recently, and alo got this confirmation recently? till some time back, even the PBS was giving 35 points for PGDBM.. but I guess it got updated now in line with new Post Graduate Diploma related rules..
Thats was long back and I doubt why would NARIC do that (they have doen it for Pakistani univs but thats seems to be driven by entirely different reasons). NARIC uses a simple logic for doing comparisons - they would look at the database of equivalent body in the country of the applicant. This in case of India is AICTE which recognises IIM PGDM eqivalent to Masters. Other criteria is the contact hours which definitely meets their threshold
regards,
push

rsathish

Post by rsathish » Wed Jul 22, 2009 12:54 am

Even though it is called a PG Diploma, you spend 2 years studying it.

So I think duration of the course is more an important factor than what they call it.

mr.gaurav
Newly Registered

hey, so what is the final verdict on iim pgdm degree

Post by mr.gaurav » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:31 pm

hey, so what is the final verdict on iim pgdm degree?

Krantik, have you now applied for Tier1? Did u write in the application form that your PGDM degree is equivalent to "Masters" or "Post Graduate"? Or are you waiting to get the confirmation from NARIC?

hey Munmum, what about you?

KVM_NET
Newly Registered

Had the same issue.

Post by KVM_NET » Mon Jul 27, 2009 8:40 pm

Hi All

I had the same issue. I had applied earlier when the PBS has shown the Post graduate diploma and awarded 35 points. Just to be on the safer side i had included the NARIC letter and also given the print out of the self assessment which awarded 35 points. I got my Tier 1 stamped.

But still one question remains - Is this a problem in PBS or have UKBA changed the rules on Post Graduate diploma. Why should the PBS award points be changed from time to time. Guru's pls clarify.

push
United Kingdom

Post by push » Mon Jul 27, 2009 10:04 pm

HO does not decide on which course to treat equivalent to Masters. They rely on the info provided by NARIC. If it is a technical glitche then it should be rectified once someone highlights it to UKBA. If not then a letter of comparability is the only hope.
regards,
push

discovering_uktier1
Newly Registered

Points for PGDM

Post by discovering_uktier1 » Wed Aug 19, 2009 9:26 am

Hi, I tried accessing the calculator today as well and it didn't show me any points for an IIM PGDM.

Have people already tried to apply recently with their NARIC letters? Appreciate confirmations.

Thanks!