ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Spouse Visa - do i need to go to the Consulate?

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

sirpsychosexy
Newly Registered

Spouse Visa - do i need to go to the Consulate?

Post by sirpsychosexy » Wed Jul 08, 2009 2:34 pm

My American wife moved over here back in 2005, but didn't settle and left and moved back to the States in 2006. So it's now 2009 and her original 2 year Visa has expired and has spent the last 6 months here on tourist visa. With this expiring at the end of the month, she is looking to go back and re-apply for Marriage Visa again. Now my questions, will it be frowned upon that we haven't lived together continously for say 4-5 years? Also due to the cost of flights & Visa fees, can she re-apply on her own or do i have to be there to sign anything answer questions etc etc. If we can save £500 or so on me not having to fly then that would be great, so that is my main point of do i need to travel for this to get sorted. Thanks in advance. Chris.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Wed Jul 08, 2009 3:38 pm

You don't need to be with her when she applies (Form VAF4a), and assuming you can show that you have been in contact during the time apart, it shouldn't be a problem.

sirpsychosexy
Newly Registered

Post by sirpsychosexy » Fri Jul 10, 2009 1:13 pm

Thank you for that - now another question. My wife was told by an American friend of hers living nearby, that if we re-marry here in England it will speed the process of application of Spousal Visa up. We are still married and were married in the States. Thanks again.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:31 pm

You can't remarry in the UK. Your marriage in the US is recogised as legal here. Basically, you can't marry twice (to the same person), without divorcing in between. However well-meant, the advice given by the friend is 'nonsense.

sirpsychosexy
Newly Registered

Post by sirpsychosexy » Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:37 am

Thank you again - one final question. My wife has asked me to ask, is there any way that she wouldn't have to go back to the states and re-apply. Is there a way to change the tourist visa into a spousal one here in the UK? Thank you.

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:02 pm

sirpsychosexy wrote:Thank you again - one final question. My wife has asked me to ask, is there any way that she wouldn't have to go back to the states and re-apply. Is there a way to change the tourist visa into a spousal one here in the UK? Thank you.
It is quite difficult, except in exceptional circumstance, like the presence of school going children, pregnancy, or young child. Health problems can also be taken into consideration. Apart from those, she would have to apply from the states.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

sirpsychosexy
Newly Registered

Post by sirpsychosexy » Mon Jul 13, 2009 8:52 am

Well i thought the last question was the last, but i have one more. Say we did the online application and paid the fee today, how long would the process take approx before my wife was able to have the interview at the Consulate? I hear things like 12 weeks or so from Worldbridge/UK Border Agency. Thanks - should be no more questions after this.

Casa
United Kingdom

Post by Casa » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:23 am

Relatively quick from the US...normally 12-20 working days.