ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Clause 39: The qualifying period, how does it affect Tier1/2

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Raoul
Newly Registered

Clause 39: The qualifying period, how does it affect Tier1/2

Post by Raoul » Thu Jul 09, 2009 2:55 am

can someone please put it for me in simple words as i am lost here! what i know is after being on a work permit ( tier 2 or tier 2) for 5 yeears, you can apply for ILR and a year after that foir british passport. please simplify it for me, what does the new bill means re 8 years or 5 years, waived to 6 or 3 years? does the years spent under Tier 1 or 2 counts for the ( 3,5,6, or 8 years) for getting a passport of IDL? also how UKBA decides if person go under the 8 years route, 5, 6 or 3 years route for IDL( or passport, not sure which one it is).

thank you in advance, i am just a simple person with no knowledge about thie whole new complicated bill.

Regards

Clause 39: The qualifying period
Clause 39 sets out the qualifying period for naturalisation as a British citizen.
Clause 39(1) inserts a new paragraph 4B into Schedule 1 to the BNA 1981. This sets out what the qualifying period will be for naturalisation as a British citizen. The qualifying period is different depending on whether the applicant is applying under section 6(1) or (2) of the BNA 1981. For applicants applying under section 6(1) of the BNA 1981, the default qualifying period is 8 years. For applicants applying under section 6(2) of the BNA 1981, the default qualifying period is 5 years. These periods can be reduced to 6 years or 3 years respectively if the applicant meets the activity condition. The activity condition is further defined in paragraph 4B(5).