ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Irish descent Questions?

Forum to discuss all things Blarney | Ireland immigration

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

derek10rr3
Newly Registered

Irish descent Questions?

Post by derek10rr3 » Wed Jul 08, 2009 4:31 pm

Hello,

My grandmother who is now deceased, was born in Ireland.

I am interested in applying for citizenship by registering under the foreign born registry, but had a few questions first.

(1). i am married, and have a baby. Once an irish citizen, I am eligible to live and work anywhere in the EU. Would my wife also be allowed to come with me to any of the EU countries, and also work? how about school for my child?

(2.) Do i need to/am i able to also register my child as an irish citizen at any point as well?

Thank you in advance for answering these questions.

doesnotcompute

Post by doesnotcompute » Wed Jul 08, 2009 5:25 pm

I don't know about answering question 1, but in relation to question 2:

Unfortunately Irish citizenship through FBR is not retro-active.

Registering as an Irish citizen under the terms of FBR means that any existing children you have at the time that you become an Irish citizen will not be able to claim Irish citizenship through you. If you had become an Irish citizen through FBR before your child was born, you would have been able to pass your Irish citizenship onto that child.

Any children you have after you become an Irish citizen will be able to claim Irish citizenship through you.

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:12 am

I'm not sure that's correct, as you would be Irish by descent you could only pass citizenship onto your children if they are born on the Island of Ireland.
Well that was my understanding of the whole Irish by descent.

As to question 1 yes you would be able to live/work within the EU and your spouse and children could follow! Of course under EU law you can live in any EU country up to three months without the need to even do anything/inform anyone....once you are exercising treaty rights e.g working/studying your family are entitled to travel with you and should be issued with 5 year residence cards!

doesnotcompute

Post by doesnotcompute » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:24 am

ciaramc wrote:I'm not sure that's correct, as you would be Irish by descent you could only pass citizenship onto your children if they are born on the Island of Ireland.
Well that was my understanding of the whole Irish by descent.
It's 100% correct. It's my job to know these things ;)

Once you become an Irish citizen through FBR, (or Naturalisation for that matter), you can then pass it on to any children you have after the fact. It doesn't matter where the children are born.

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:40 am

I take my previous statement back! Maybe I'm wrong - here is what was written on the inis website -

A person whose father or mother was an Irish citizen at the time of his/her birth is automatically an Irish citizen. A person whose grandfather or grandmother was born in Ireland may become an Irish citizen by registering in the Foreign Births Register at an Irish Embassy or Consular Office or at the Department of Foreign Affairs. A person whose great-grandfather or great-grandmother was born in Ireland may register for Irish citizenship provided that their parents had registered in the Foreign Births Register at the time of the person’s birth. ( Note: If, in the last instance, the parent had registered prior to 31st December, 1986, the person can register at any time. The Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act, 1986, introduced a provision whereby registration in the Foreign Births Register after the aforementioned date granted citizenship from the date of registration only.)

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Thu Jul 09, 2009 10:45 am

Really so if I an Irish citizen was to have children outside of Ireland they would be Irish? Not Irish by descent? Can they pass it on to their children even if they are not born in Ireland?

I had thought we had the same rules as the UK? By descent - then unable to pass on to children born outside the UK!

Anyways your right!

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Re: Irish descent Questions?

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:52 am

derek10rr3 wrote:(1). i am married, and have a baby. Once an irish citizen, I am eligible to live and work anywhere in the EU. Would my wife also be allowed to come with me to any of the EU countries, and also work? how about school for my child?
Babies are lovely! Sleep is even sweeter when you have a baby.

You and your whole family can at the very least live and work in ALL EU member states other than Ireland. It is very easy and low hassle. I am not sure about family members (like your wife) going to Ireland, though it would usually be more hassle than going to other EU countries.

What citizenship does your family have?

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:35 am

ciaramc wrote:Really so if I an Irish citizen was to have children outside of Ireland they would be Irish? Not Irish by descent? Can they pass it on to their children even if they are not born in Ireland?

Any children born to an Irish citizen by descent (outside Ireland/Northern Ireland) can be registered as Irish citizens by descent.

Citizenship can pass down indefinitely provided that children are registered before they have children themselves. Of course, most people leave it too late.

I had thought we had the same rules as the UK? By descent - then unable to pass on to children born outside the UK!
Different country, different rules.

JAJ
Australia

Post by JAJ » Fri Jul 10, 2009 12:36 am

derek10rr3 wrote:Hello,

My grandmother who is now deceased, was born in Ireland.

I am interested in applying for citizenship by registering under the foreign born registry, but had a few questions first.

(1). i am married, and have a baby. Once an irish citizen, I am eligible to live and work anywhere in the EU. Would my wife also be allowed to come with me to any of the EU countries, and also work? how about school for my child?

(2.) Do i need to/am i able to also register my child as an irish citizen at any point as well?

Thank you in advance for answering these questions.

1. You can bring them to another EU/EEA state but do bear in mind that they won't necessarily be able to become citizens of that state.

2. No. But if you move to Ireland, your child could probably be naturalised as an Irish citizen in due course.

derek10rr3
Newly Registered

Post by derek10rr3 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:57 pm

Directive/2004/38/EC wrote:
derek10rr3 wrote:(1). i am married, and have a baby. Once an irish citizen, I am eligible to live and work anywhere in the EU. Would my wife also be allowed to come with me to any of the EU countries, and also work? how about school for my child?
Babies are lovely! Sleep is even sweeter when you have a baby.

You and your whole family can at the very least live and work in ALL EU member states other than Ireland. It is very easy and low hassle. I am not sure about family members (like your wife) going to Ireland, though it would usually be more hassle than going to other EU countries.

What citizenship does your family have?
We are Canadians.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Sat Jul 11, 2009 5:20 am

As long as you are Irish, then your whole family can come with you to the EU.

None of you would need a visa since your family will be travelling on Canadian passports (the UK is officially an exception to that rule, in that they ask for a visa for the non-EU family members, but you can pretty much ignore the request and just come here).

Your family members will need passports and proof of their legal relationship to you (marriage certificate for your spouse and birth certificates for the kids). You will need to get or be looking for a job.

DONE! Get to work :wink: