ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Job security after ILR

General UK immigration & work permits; don't post job search or family related topics!

Please use this section of the board if there is no specific section for your query.

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

decentguy_uk

Job security after ILR

Post by decentguy_uk » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:25 am

If a person gets an ILR, is he

1. Eligible for job seekers allowance ?

2. Can still stay in the country even if he/she does not have any job (even though if they are eligible or not eligible for JSA)

3. Eligible for Child benefit/ working family tax credit.

I think above should be simple questions for people on this forum.

Help much appreciated

wunder
Member of Standing

Re: Job security after ILR

Post by wunder » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:29 am

As far as I know:
1. Yes.
2. Yes.
3. Yes.

rg1
Member of Standing

Post by rg1 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 9:53 pm

As far as I know the only differences between ILR holder and British/EU citizen are

1. ILR holders need visa to travel outside UK
2. ILR holders do not have absolute right of adobe on UK - however under normal circumstances [unless you committed serious crime] you can assume you can stay in UK indefinitely.

Can't imagine if there are other differences.

Yes, ILR holders can claim job seeker allowance etc.

John
United Kingdom

Post by John » Fri Jul 10, 2009 10:46 pm

I don't disagree with the above but as regards " ILR holders need visa to travel outside UK ", that would of course depend upon where they are visiting, and their nationality. The ILR merely confirms their ability to get back into the UK.

Also, JSA! There are two types .... contribution-based JSA and income-based JSA ... and only income-based JSA is within the definition of Public Funds. Contribution-based JSA is not included in that definition, and therefore can be claimed by anyone ... as long as they have paid enough NI Contributions!

Finally as regards "Eligible for Child benefit/ working family tax credit. ", there might be an entitlement to claim prior to ILR, but that would depend upon a number of factors, such as nationality, and nationality of spouse/partner.
John

decentguy_uk

Post by decentguy_uk » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:34 am

Wow...Pretty informative

Thanks