ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Bradford, UK Questions?

Only for UK Student Visas, formerly known as Tier 4 (General) student visa

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2

derek10rr3
Newly Registered

Bradford, UK Questions?

Post by derek10rr3 » Fri Jul 10, 2009 11:51 pm

Hello,

My Wife is an EU passport holder, and we are moving to the UK in the next 1-2 years.

I was interested in getting a MSC in Finance, and was interested in a few programs from the University of Bradford.

Can anyone tell me anything about this city?

All I have found in my searches is that it is fairly affordable, and has many ethnic backgrounds.

Is it a safe place? How is the area for Finance related work?

Thanks!

tote
BANNED

Post by tote » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:08 pm

If you look at the university league tables you will see that The university of Bradford is the worst university in Britian so i would advise going elsewhere.

To pay home fees which costs about over £10 for a masters. You will need to be a british or eu citizen and have lived in the uk for 3 years or longer.

otherwise you willo have to pay international fees which are about 3x the cost of home fees.

Obie
Ireland

Re: Bradford, UK Questions?

Post by Obie » Sat Jul 11, 2009 7:33 pm

derek10rr3 wrote:Hello,

My Wife is an EU passport holder, and we are moving to the UK in the next 1-2 years.

I was interested in getting a MSC in Finance, and was interested in a few programs from the University of Bradford.

Can anyone tell me anything about this city?

All I have found in my searches is that it is fairly affordable, and has many ethnic backgrounds.

Is it a safe place? How is the area for Finance related work?

Thanks!
Bradford is a lovely place to study and it one of the most ethnically diverse region in the UK.

In 2001 there were facial riots, but things have improved hugely since then. The chancellor of the University is Imran Khan, former Cricketer.

It is ranked the 48th Best University in the UK, of nearly 120, which in my view is quite reasonable.

Ranking is quite a misleading indicator, as areas like finance will be good and other areas like medicine might drag ratings down.

If you have lived in the EU for over three years and would be applying for resident card as a family member of an EEA national, you will be eligible for home student fee.

I wish you every success for the future and i hope you enjoy your stay at Bradford.

Please look at the like below as it would tell you more about the city and the University.

http://extras.timesonline.co.uk/gug/goo ... yguide.php

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bradford_U ... ite_note-3
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors

Wanderer
Diamond Member
Ireland

Post by Wanderer » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:12 pm

Much as I respect Obie's opines I beg to differ living in the area.

I live in Leeds (Farsley) and throughly love the place. Nights out in Leeds city centre are great - not too much bother.

OTOH, been to Bradford several times and the place is a shithole - the town centre at weekend eves is downright dangerous - opposite to nearby Leeds.

Honestly - two out of the three times I went I saw a mugging taking place, it really is the Alamo and a totally depressing place.

On the plus there is a most excellent Russian restaurant on Manor Row near to Forster Square Station.

Really, don't go...
An chéad stad eile Stáisiún Uí Chonghaile....

Obie
Ireland

Post by Obie » Sat Jul 11, 2009 8:45 pm

Wanderer wrote:Much as I respect Obie's opines I beg to differ living in the area.

I live in Leeds (Farsley) and throughly love the place. Nights out in Leeds city centre are great - not too much bother.

OTOH, been to Bradford several times and the place is a shithole - the town centre at weekend eves is downright dangerous - opposite to nearby Leeds.

Honestly - two out of the three times I went I saw a mugging taking place, it really is the Alamo and a totally depressing place.

On the plus there is a most excellent Russian restaurant on Manor Row near to Forster Square Station.

Really, don't go...
Wanderer i respect your opinions and it is backed by facts like the killing of PC Sharon recently and ethnic unrest that plagued the city, however i don't allow thugs to change my overall opinion about an area.
When i was studying at Liverpool University i lived in an area called Toxteth, which has its own fair share of crime. I nevertheless didn't allow them to dictate my opinion of the greater Merseyside as the loveliest place to live in the UK, neither did i allow them to dictate my social life.
In the 5 years i lived there i was never a victim of crime.

I also went on a year placement at Nottingham University, which is referred to as the gun capital city of the UK, same thing. Never allow those low live scum, dregs and hooligans to decide my fate.
I however took precaution measure to prevent myself being a their victim of their violent criminal activity.

I don't think any metropolitan area in the UK is immune to crime in my opinion. That however should not restrict us from exploring and enjoying our life to the fullest wherever we see fit.
Smooth seas do not make skilful sailors