ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

Mexican marrying an italian-thousand questions please help!

Immigration to European countries, don't post UK or Ireland related topics!

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

paolarahme
Newly Registered

Mexican marrying an italian-thousand questions please help!

Post by paolarahme » Mon Jul 13, 2009 9:41 pm

hello there,
Im a mexican citizen marrying an italian next year in Taranto. We are in the process of obtaining the Nulla Osta and organizing the wedding at the comune. However, once I have traveled to Italy (in Sept.) i'm not coming back to Mexico, therefore I want to make sure I'm bringing all required documentation I may need....and I have sooo many questions! please help, I've joined other forums but I'm stil waiting for approval to post!!
-Once we are married, the permesso di sioggorno will allow me to work ONLY in italy, or can I seek job in the UK as well/
-I work onboard cruise ships, how long can I be oustide Italy with my new status?
-WHERE do I arrange the documentation to change my legal status from turist to wife?
-how long before I can apply for a resident permit in Italy after the wedding? with this permit, would I be able to travel around the EU like any other italian citizenship?if not what are my limitations?
-If we both work abroad, will this affect my immigration status and my process to obtain an italian citinzeship in the future/
I know the questions may sound silly, but its very frustating trying to understand the immigration rules, when you barely speak the language and when you are in the other side of the world!!
So any help its honestly a light in this very dark and confusing process I'm going thru!
All the best and many, many thanks!
Grazie!! Gracias! thank you!

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Tue Jul 14, 2009 10:57 am

Ok so first of all you apply for a CARTA di soggiorno!! not a permesso and you apply at the QUESTURA!! Depending on the city where you have your residence! You can apply for this permit as soon as you marry! And you apply directly at the QUESTURA (Immigration Office)not through the post office!! As people may tell you!

A carta di soggiorno is only valid in Italy you can travel around Schengen land but the UK and Ireland you would need a visa if you are a visa required national! Really you should be visa free for you and Ireland but as both the UK and Ireland ignore this law you may have to get a visa....but of course if your husband was to work in another EU state you can follow and work and be issued with a 5 year residence card! I think you can be outside Italy for about six months, with this card!

You can apply for Italian citizenship after 2 years of marriage, it was six months but think they are changing this!!

Being married and living abroad I think it takes a little longer!

In Italy you have to really insist that they issue you with the Carta di Soggiorno rather than the permesso....the Carta lasts 5 years the permesso only one....it will probabl;y take between 2-12 months to issue depending where you apply!! Italy is a bit of a nightmare!

I think you have previously posted and I advised you to contact the other immigration forum tuttostranieri as they are Italians and will be able to help you in much more detail!

Plum70
Diamond Member

Post by Plum70 » Tue Jul 14, 2009 11:43 am

Just an observation: What's with all the !!! marks ciaramac? The topic isn't that exciting! :D

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Tue Jul 14, 2009 1:32 pm

You an your italian husband are planning to live in Italy? Has he worked before in another EU country, and if so when?

ciaramc

Post by ciaramc » Tue Jul 14, 2009 2:07 pm

Trying to get a point across plum and didn't realise that it I was not allowed to write exclamation marks. Sorry !!!!!!!!!!!!

Also I'm sure i had answered this question a couple of weeks ago? Paola have you looked up the website? Or you could look up Polizia dello stato website or even Ministero Dell'Interno it will provide you with answers to most of your questions.

For some reason in Italy they issue the carta di soggiorno to the spouses of Italian citizens even if they have not worked in another European country.

paolarahme
Newly Registered

Thanks,

Post by paolarahme » Tue Jul 14, 2009 4:06 pm

I have already joined the other forum you recommend, I appreciated your quick replay and information.
Have a lovely day all ;-)
paola