ESC

Click the "allow" button if you want to receive important news and updates from immigrationboards.com

Immigrationboards.com: Immigration, work visa and work permit discussion board

Welcome to immigrationboards.com!

Login Register Do not show

EEA1 & the NHS

Family member & Ancestry immigration; don't post other immigration categories, please!
Marriage | Unmarried Partners | Fiancé | Ancestry

Moderators: Casa, Amber, archigabe, batleykhan, ca.funke, ChetanOjha, EUsmileWEallsmile, JAJ, John, Obie, push, geriatrix, vinny, CR001, zimba, meself2, Administrator

Antho_ie
Newly Registered

EEA1 & the NHS

Post by Antho_ie » Mon Jul 13, 2009 12:23 pm

My wife is currently in the UK awaiting her EEA2 application to complete.

We have full private health insurance but it doesn't cover GP services & private GP's in Manchester are borderline extortionate.

How do we stand on getting my wife registered with the NHS? Or do we need to wait for the EEA2 to finally arrive (it's been with the HO for almost 6 months so far).

Thanks in advance,

OmarA

Post by OmarA » Wed Jul 15, 2009 11:57 am

You do not need any EEA2 or RC to register your wife with your GP/NHS!

Just go to your GP and register her, they will give you a form, fill it in and thats all ( they need proof of ID of your wife and marriage certificate ).

She will receive her NHS card registration per mail.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru
Location: does not matter if you are with your EEA family member

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Jul 15, 2009 12:40 pm

You may also want to register yourself with the NHS. They are generally quite good!

You should also both register at https://www.ehic.org.uk/ for medical coverage in the rest of Europe when you travel. It is free.

Antho_ie
Newly Registered

Post by Antho_ie » Wed Jul 15, 2009 1:59 pm

Strange, I tried to register her at the same time as myself and was told she couldn't apply! Moving address soon, so will re-register myself & try again with her.

Thanks

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Wed Jul 15, 2009 2:04 pm

What were you applying for? Did they explain why?

pdykid

Post by pdykid » Thu Jul 16, 2009 4:47 pm

Anto_ie,

I faced same issue…when I arrived to UK.

When I arrived to UK I got only EEA family permit, myself and my husband went to register they GP told I can’t register myself, as I got only 6months valid visa. For them it’s not longer enough to prove as a resident. Only my husband got registered as he live for a long time and he is EU citizen. At that time we didn’t care that much about it.

We thought EEA2 would come in few weeks. Then I can register with GP with longer visa. And I applied for EEA2, and started waiting for EEA2 arrive. Then I started reading this forum EEA2 doesn’t come soon. At least it will take about 8 months and can’t live without registering GP as well.

Then I wrote to the local NHS PAL (Patient Advice and Liaison Services (PALS) ) the difficulties in registering with GP. After few days she asked me to go to the same GP, this time they register me without any question.

http://www.nhs.uk/chq/pages/1082.aspx

So I recommend you to mail your local PAL. Explain your case and tell about EEA2 delay. They need to resolve this issue. GP always refuse to register, if they see 6 months visa.

Directive/2004/38/EC
Respected Guru

Post by Directive/2004/38/EC » Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:04 pm

Remember that getting a Residence Card is optional. The family member the EEA citizen is legally resident in the UK for as long as the EEA citizen is legally resident in the UK, and without doing any applications to UKBA.